Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why didn't the other players recognise this, gang up and mug you? Looks like they didn't play that well.

I've played this alot and there is no such thing as a best 'first position and move' with opponants who know what they are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is a little surprising to me that one spot could be so advantageous during setup. What stopped the others from setting up in the same area and curtailing your points grab?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wouldn't overthink the turn order too much. It sounds to me like your players need to embrace the fact that there is more to winning this game than just going after points. You need to play "against" the other players, occasionally taking fewer points in order to impede the other players.

In the end, its how you use your penguins. If you get the last placement, but don't use it optimally, it won't really matter.

These subtleties are what make this game more clever than its childish looks would suggest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, knowing where everyone else placed can be as advantageous (or moreso) than getting first pick of the spots on the board.

I think a "snake" placement order may emphasize the advantage of order: Player #1 gets first placement (best opening spot) and last placement (knowing where everyone else went), while player #4 gets the worst of both worlds! And you definitely wouldn't want someone to be able to place the last penguin, then move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Ma
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm I actually think that going last in placement is more advantageous because you can block more of your opponent's pieces. Placing your penguins first I think is the worst position to be in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think snaking turn order would be too advantageous to the players on the ends of the snake.

However, snaking the starting positions would be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of 2-player games online and I'm fairly certain going first is a slight advantage. I think, however, that the advantage comes from moving first, not from placing first. I'm not sure how that translates to 4-player but I suspect the advantage from first to last will still be there.

A good player will always beat a poor player, but with 2 evenly matched the first turn advantage is significant.

I agree with the others though, if you go after points without cutting off your opponents you will lose. I tend to consider maintaining freedom for my penguins more than cutting off regions of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.