Brent Gaddie
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game today with Brother Gherinn (solo). I am trying to exit the dungeon but there is a portcullis in my way. My question is, if I fail to raise the portcullis, do I have to do an encounter on my next turn if I stay in the same room and do not move (in order to make another attribute roll)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
LegioXIX wrote:
Played my first game today with Brother Gherinn (solo). I am trying to exit the dungeon but there is a portcullis in my way. My question is, if I fail to raise the portcullis, do I have to do an encounter on my next turn if I stay in the same room and do not move (in order to make another attribute roll)?

I'm going of memory, but I believe the answer is "no" - you only draw an encounter card when first entering (or re-entering) the room; if you get stuck there opening the portcullus, you don't draw again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get stuck in a room with a portcullis, let's say it blocks the only exit from the chamber, you have the standard two options: move or search (I think all the portcullis chambers have the torch-search icon). If you try to move and fail, turn over (don't forget determination). Next turn, same options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be worth noting that with portcullises, getting stuck for more than 2 turns doesn't kill you. The rules state that you can only search twice in a row (and if you fail both times and have no other options, you die, such as getting stuck in a rotating room), but you can keep trying to open that darn gate until you succeed or until Kalladra eats you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gaddie
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I just played it like I could keep trying to open the portcullis without doing an encounter. The chamber in question had two exits, one with a door, and one with a portcullis. I didn't want to risk trying the door again and entering another room because I had only 1 life point left!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget, each time you fail to open the portcullis, you get an 'effort' token. That adds 1 to your dice roll for each one you've collected, making it easier to get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Where is this stated in the rule book or FAQ? We had a player with 1 Brawn and was never able to get out of that room until the end game was practically over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eveator wrote:
Where is this stated in the rule book or FAQ? We had a player with 1 Brawn and was never able to get out of that room until the end game was practically over.

Page 5 - Components description for Determination Tokens: "When a Hero fails an attribute test, he gains a determination token, which increases his chances of succeeding on his next attempt for that encounter."

Page 23 - Determination Tokens: "Whenever a Hero fails an attribute test, he receives one determination token. The next time the Hero attempts the attribute test for that encounter, each determination token he has increases his relevant attribute by one, making passing future attribute tests easier. When the encounter is finally resolved (whether by succeeding at the test or giving up the attempt), the Hero discards all of his determination tokens."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.