Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions from my Descent 2e review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my review there are two rules questions that came up.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/841648/descent-2e-its-not-pe...

I do not have the rule book in front of me, so I may be wrong, however here are answers to Kingbobb's questions.

1) spending health to move. The rules say that you can spend fatigue to gain a move point. The rules also say that if you lose fatigue, and have none, that you would lose health instead. Our assumption was that a hero could spend fatigue, and if they have none it would come out as health being spent. Is there something in the rules to say this is wrong?

2) Epic play. Near the end of the rules under optional play are the rules to play a single quest in either advanced, or epic levels.
This includes 3 exp and 150(?) gold to each hero, and access to the Act 1 items. It allows the OL to spend 4 exp. We did this for the introduction quest. The heroes seemed to have much more power then the OL for this session. Please tell me we did something wrong, since it makes me concerned about any "non basic" play in the future.

Let me know if I misread the rules.

Thanks,

Tymsham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You can't "spend" health is stamina. If you "lose" stamina and you are out then you lose health. In the case of using skills or spending stamina to move you can not spend health only stamina.

2) What you did here was fine. The first blood quest is heavily titled to the heroes so that they gain a familiarity to the rules. Play a different quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For question 1, see page 8 of the rules under "Additional Movement." It states quite clearly that "If the hero already has fatigue equal to his Stamina, he may not suffer any more fatigue to receive additional movement points..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tymsham wrote:
2) Epic play. Near the end of the rules under optional play are the rules to play a single quest in either advanced, or epic levels.
This includes 3 exp and 150(?) gold to each hero, and access to the Act 1 items. It allows the OL to spend 4 exp. We did this for the introduction quest. The heroes seemed to have much more power then the OL for this session. Please tell me we did something wrong, since it makes me concerned about any "non basic" play in the future.

Epic play (at least, "advanced" epic play) isn't very well balanced for Introductory quest. The problem is "First Blood" is only half a quest, so it doesn't give the OL time to leverage his upgraded cards--it's possible he won't even draw any of them, since the quest is so short. Also, First Blood is a teaching scenario, and it's strongly weighted towards the heroes.

Since Epic play is designed to be applied to a single quest, it'll be balanced best will a full quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.