Subject: Sea cruise (w/ POLLS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh AAAARRRR Billy!! Have ye ever been to sea? arrrh

Have you ever been on a sea cruise?
I went to Alaska, once, on a week-long cruise and it was fabulous.
We watched the glacier calving in Yakutat Bay. We were there close to three hours but it felt like 15 minutes and I could have watched it all day if they'd have let us.
We also got to see gold-rush stuff in Skagway, and sample the local culture in both Juneau and Ketchikan. We topped it all of with a trip through the Misty Fjords on the way back to base port (Vancouver, BC).
While on the ship we ate like kings, relaxed, and went to shows and presentations. We got our exercise in the mornings, while at sea, walking and running around the upper deck, and swimming in the pools, naturally.

I'd go back again, in a heartbeat.
The Caribbean would be interesting, perhaps, but I'm not champing at the bit to go there.
My parents have been on the Baltic/ North Sea cruise and it sounded pretty damned nice to me.
And, if I ever had a bunch of time and money, I'd love to do a Mediterranean cruise.

This seems like a good time for a poll or four, then you can tell us where you've been, or hope to go, or why you don't like cruises, even.

Poll
How many cruises have you been on?
0, but I am going on one soon
2 (or 1 + one soon)
3 (or 2 + one soon)
4 (or 3 + one soon)
5 (or 4 + one soon)
6+ (or x + one soon)
      78 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
Have you ever been on a cruise ship?
Yes
No
      77 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
If you answered "No", tell us more.
Do you agree or disagree with these statements?
  Agree Disagree
I have no interest on going on a cruise
I have a mild interest in going on a cruise
I would like to go on a cruise
I definitely want to go on a cruise
There are no cruises to where I would really like to go
I think that there is better value doing something else
I think that it it would be expensive
I'm morally opposed to cruises, in general
I think that cruises are wasteful
I think that cruises are harmful to the ocean enviroment
I think that cruises contribute to global warming (large carbon footprint)
I'm worried about safety onboard
I believe that I (or someone with me) is likely to be seasick
      44 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
If you answered "Yes" tell us more.
Do you agree or disagree with these statements?
  Agree Disagree
Overall, I had an extremely good time on the ship
Overall, I had an extremely good time off of the ship
Overall, I had an pretty good time on the ship
Overall, I had an pretty good time off of the ship
Overall, I had a fairly uninspired time on the ship
Overall, I had a fairly uninspired time off of the ship
Overall, I had a lousy time on the ship
Overall, I had a lousy time off of the ship
I found the entire cruise to be great value for the money
I found the entire cruise to be decent value for the money
I found the entire cruise to be the right value for the money
I found the entire cruise to be a bit pricey for the value paid
I found the entire cruise to be a quite pricey for the value paid
I found the entire cruise to be a very pricey for the value paid
      30 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
If I had the time and the means:
I would go on another cruise
I would not go on another cruise
      35 answers
Poll created by MABBY

I realized after making the poll that maybe the question should have been:
How long was the last cruise that you took?
Poll
How long was the cruise that you took?
Under 7 days
7 to 10 days
11 or more days
      34 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
Was your cruise...
Too short for your liking?
Just right?
Too long for your liking?
      33 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Only answered the first two polls. Bottom line, I don't like being around other people, and I'm not keen on sharing an experience like this with a group. The Boston whale-watching trip I took my family on this summer just reinforced this If I ever wanted to do something like this, I'd hire a private tour guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Only answered the first two polls. Bottom line, I don't like being around other people, and I'm not keen on sharing an experience like this with a group. The Boston whale-watching trip I took my family on this summer just reinforced this If I ever wanted to do something like this, I'd hire a private tour guide.

It's pretty hard to avoid people on a cruise ship, all right.
To each his own, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on one Alaska cruise and hated it. It was like being trapped in a flying apartment building that would set down in wild places where everyone made their living off cruise-goers, so while they were glad to see you, they were really just glad to see your money. It turns out I'm deathly allergic to superficial artifice.

As an avid ultralight backpacker and general outdoorsy type I was frustrated being stuck behind a railing looking at places I'd rather go get lost in... and I don't even want to talk about how much it cost.

I never want to go on another cruise again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love cruises, as a matter of fact I love anything where I can spend time on the ocean. I've been on a few cruises. Including in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean.

Then again, I am an old salt, and spent many years on the Ocean in the US Navy, so the sea and myself are of one being.

You just can't understand how hard it is to live landlocked in the middle of Texas.

Arrrh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I felt like I just took a personailty quiz for a friggin job!
Me too! Did I get the job??
      19 answers
Poll created by Djcheddar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up aboard sea and was often at sea but I've never been on a cruise ship; it's just a floating hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken 2 7-day Caribbean cruises--too long, and 3-day, 4-night Caribbean cruise that was just right and a great time as a I went with a big group of friends.

The only cruise I'm interested in going on is the Alaskan cruise.

I've become a bit wary of them to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
whac3 wrote:
it's just a floating hotel.
This was always my attitude as well. The folks I know that love cruises were usually the sedentary, middle-American, sit-on-the-couch-eating-pork-rinds-watching-tv types that had no inclination for an active & participatory vacation. Cart their happy asses around in a boat & serve them shitty buffet food whilst watching a Monkees cover band & they are cool with that. (No offense to those that enjoy them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on a Caribbean cruise once for work. That was pretty cool since it was free I had a room with no windows, but who cares about that? Even with the work I had to do, I had plenty of time to enjoy the cruise and I got off the ship at every stop, even though I didn't have a lot of time to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came back from cruise number 28 and have 29 booked for next year.
When we started cruising we thought it would be a once in a lifetime experience for our honeymoon but enjoyed it so much that we now go every year,sometimes even twice a year.
Our attitude is that the ship is just a nice hotel that travels to interesting places.
When we started out we were more concerned with the cost and took the larger ships that went to popular destinations mainly in the carribean.
Eventually we got more selective both in terms of cruise line and destination which has resulted in less of the experiebce where the locals are only there to grab your money and more of an experience of the local culture.
For the last three trips we found our perfect size ship, which docks in many a smaller port that the larger ships can not berth in and which has many an overnight stay in port.
All in all a cruise experience will depend on the size of ship,the cruise line chosen and the itinery and prior research before booking can make the difference between a good and bad experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I'm heading on a cruise to Mexico the first week in September. My wife and I are very excited for it and a chance to get away from all the crap that's been in our lives lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I grew up aboard sea and was often at sea but I've never been on a cruise ship; it's just a floating hotel.

Explain, please. What were, I assume your parents doing, that allowed you to grow up at sea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've heard some freighters have accommodations for a handful of passengers, at a discount.
If true, I'd like to go on one that goes to Tristan da Cunha. I'd settle for St. Helena, although cruise ships call there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit, given the floating hotel analogy, cruises sound like a sometimes vacation for me. When I go someplace interesting, the hotel is a place I crash at the very end of the day, and eject out of as quickly as I can to go exploring.

Still, they have a certain romance about them, and there's the appeal of forced "do-nothing" time, much like taking a vacation in a cabin somewhere.

I think I personally would most like a event cruise (like a board gaming cruise). As a Disneyland lover, I'd try a Disney cruise (but as I don't have kids, I think being trapped with that many would be a bit off-putting).

It's all fairly academic tho', as my wife gets seasick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I've been on 2 Bahamian cruises on Royal Caribbean. Both were very enjoyable.

I think a cruise gives back what you put into it. I like mingling with people. The shows and events are very B-List but you can have a lot of fun with your S.O. making fun of them.

The ships are very nice and just wandering around deck is a lot of fun.

I didn't like the touristy crap at the ports, but if you're willing to go out on your own and mo-ped into weird places, you can meet some cool folks and discover interesting things.

My favorite time was snoozing under some palm trees in hammock with a cool breeze blowing after taking a snorkel on a nearby reef. So easy to relax and forget about everything. But we also we contestants on the shipboard "Newlywed/Not so Newlywed" game (and the answer to "Where's the weirdest place you made whoopie" was not "In the butt.") and I made a spectacle of myself singing "Sex Machine" at karaoke. We also won the pop trivia game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
I went on one Alaska cruise and hated it. It was like being trapped in a flying apartment building that would set down in wild places where everyone made their living off cruise-goers, so while they were glad to see you, they were really just glad to see your money. It turns out I'm deathly allergic to superficial artifice.

As an avid ultralight backpacker and general outdoorsy type I was frustrated being stuck behind a railing looking at places I'd rather go get lost in... and I don't even want to talk about how much it cost.

I never want to go on another cruise again.

HiveGod and I are in total agreement on this one. We vacation every year, spend a fraction of what a cruise costs and feel more relaxed when we get home. No cruise ever again for this family. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I crossed the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel one evening. The toll taker was decidedly unhappy. I found out why shortly afterward, as I attempted to cross the bay with my windows open. I was downwind from a cruise ship. Suddenly I was overwhelmed by the stench of human waste. I had to roll my windows up immediately just to be able to continue breathing. Fortunately there were no other drivers near me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've never been on a cruise, and I have no desire to go on one. My wife and I are the kind of travellers who like to be independent and find lesser-worn paths. We don't want to be the stereotypical tourists who are led around by the nose and advertise to everyone in a five-mile radius that we are tourists. We like to at least try to blend in (even if we know we can't), mingle with the locals, and experience their culture on the ground level. I don't see how you can even come close to doing that on a cruise, bouncing around from port to port. It seems too cookie-cutter touristy to me.

My grandparents have been on many cruises, and they absolutely love them. They always come back saying how much fun they had. But their description of their experiences doesn't appeal to me. From what they tell me, it seems like a cruise is simply an opportunity to do nothing but eat, all day, every day. There's just food, food, food everywhere. It kind of makes me sick just thinking about it. Also, I'm afraid that I would get either claustrophobic or seasick (or both) on a cruise ship. Furthermore, it doesn't sit well with me that if something goes wrong you're basically just stranded out there in the ocean. I know that things like what recently happened in Italy are rare, but it's like the final straw for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I went on a live-aboard boat trip that lasted 10 days, but there were only 8 passengers and 3 crew, and we didn't cross any oceans we just followed the coastline. Does that count as a "cruise" for purposes of this poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.