Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Im struggling with myself to pick up descent base game and the conversion kit together with the 2nd edition. Do you think its worth it ? Or is there enough content in 2nd only ? Im a bit concerned, that the game isnt as awesome as it could be without enough monster variety

Another question: Any chances that 1st edition stuff might get an own expansion ? like Monster packs or Heroe packs as a reprint ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The conversion kit only adds more heroes and monsters. The rest of the game is in the base game. There's enough content without the conversion kit, though I started getting board with the same monsters showing up over and over again and greatly appreciate the conversion kit. I kind of wish there were rules for forcing the overlord to take in monsters he hasn't used in a while (like maybe making him randomly select an open group or something), since seeing Giants every map is rather tiresome, but it's still a step up.

Having said that, you don't really need the 1st Ed game to use the conversion kit. You can just use 2nd Ed minis as 'proxies' until you either buy different proxies or pick up a copy of 1st Ed. Also, FFG has been doing a lot of prepainted mini-packs, so there is a chance they could make those for 1st Ed minis.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Also, FFG has been doing a lot of prepainted mini-packs, so there is a chance they could make those for 1st Ed minis.
-shnar

A print on demand of the 1st Ed monsters and heroes minis would be great, painted or not. I think they're a lot of people who's new to Descent and be interested in owning those minis.

New expansions will bring new plastics but those from the conversion kit are awesome.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
I think they're a lot of people who's new to Descent and be interested in owning those minis.


raises hand
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Having said that, you don't really need the 1st Ed game to use the conversion kit. You can just use 2nd Ed minis as 'proxies' until you either buy different proxies or pick up a copy of 1st Ed.


This is exactly what I have in mind. I backed http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniat... to get range of proxies for heroes (cause I know "players" will "bond" with their miniatures) and plan to use 2nd Ed monsters for 1st Ed proxies untill I get better ones over time.

-likely
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Svensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
likelyrooster wrote:
This is exactly what I have in mind. I backed http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniat... to get range of proxies for heroes (cause I know "players" will "bond" with their miniatures) and plan to use 2nd Ed monsters for 1st Ed proxies untill I get better ones over time.

-likely


Do keep in mind that reaper's miniatures are huge compared to the descent figures. Some reaper hero minis are easily double the height of the descent heroes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bloodsbane wrote:
Do keep in mind that reaper's miniatures are huge compared to the descent figures. Some reaper hero minis are easily double the height of the descent heroes.


I know the D2E dwarf is noticeably smaller than the Reaper dwarf, but got any pics of this, particularly the heroes in the Bones line?

Of course, the easy solution is to proxy *all* the D2E heroes with Bones. Much more fun to pick up a mini and say, "That would make a cool fighter" than "where the BLEEP is that Jain whatzername miniature??"

Anyway, here's a pic and article about Bones vs. other miniatures. I'd like to find more.



http://dailyencounter.net/2012/07/30/bones-size-comparison/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jwanthis
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I kind of wish there were rules for forcing the overlord to take in monsters he hasn't used in a while (like maybe making him randomly select an open group or something), since seeing Giants every map is rather tiresome, but it's still a step up.


-shnar


One house rule you could add that might help would to only allow the overlord to pick monsters with both icons matching the quest icons. This limits the numbers and variety of monsters availabe in most (but not all) quests and , imo, adds to the theme which is a big reason why I like Descent.

I've posted a file that lists the monsters availabe for each quest with the "double icon monsters" highlighted in green. Click here to link to the file page if you are interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bloodsbane wrote:
Do keep in mind that reaper's miniatures are huge compared to the descent figures. Some reaper hero minis are easily double the height of the descent heroes.


I'd have to say that's unfortunate.. and expected, but when I'm torn between 8 heroes of 2nd ed compared to range of heroes from 1st ed, I rather proxy them all than play them 1st eds with paper proxies.. But I'm quite sure I'll be satisfied with the size comparison.

Even if the Bones would turn out to be utterly too big for this game, I'd still have awesome collection of miniatures for a steal price
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.