Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've read that Melee lends itself to solo play, but I don't really understand how.

I know there are solo books like Death test and Grail quest, but those are programmed adventures that you can only get so many plays out of.

So how does the ai work? Is there an ai or do you just play both sides and make the best decisions for the enemy player?

Can it be played solo without the solo gamebooks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No AI; it's a paper game.

I've always had fun with this solo as well as aginst other players. A lot of the fun is matching up different combinations of weapons and physical attributes against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
No AI; it's a paper game.

I've always had fun with this solo as well as aginst other players. A lot of the fun is matching up different combinations of weapons and physical attributes against each other.

I know it's a paper game. I meant ai as in rules for how the enemy units move and act when playing solo. Is it just dice rolls?

How do you go about playing solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "AI" rules are more or less the opponents moving directly toward your character. Not a lot of tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game had no rules for solitaire play.
The Microquest programmed adventure games using Melee would usually give you some kind of general direction on how to move the enemy forces, when they would run away, etc..
It's easy to play solitaire, there isn't any hidden information except your opponent's ST and DX and it's Igo-Yugo.
As you said, you think of the best or most obvious move for whichever character you are handling at the time.
You could go further and make up a couple of little tables to roll on for "your" character's adversaries to use, e.g. make it more likely they would choose Defend after taking a serious wound.
The basic game is simple enough to lend itself to that sort of thing.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.