Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We Go scenario #33, and Chick's 500th game of Combat Commander

For the 500th game of this great system, we played "We Go !" Scenario 33. This seemed appropriate since my very 1st game played was 'We Go !" I took the American Paratroopers which land randomly all over the board, and Donna played the Germans, in Recon mode, but with a special rule which made MOVE orders unusable until the first time trigger.

The Germans set up with the HMG on the crossroads, to be able to break as many units as possible as they descend, and then hopefully dig in there or advance into the adjacent objective 4 building before the Amis get organized.

The Start

The random drop was the strangest I have ever seen, with MANY American units landing close to the objectives, in three cases adjacent to or IN them. Five of my total of eleven American units began the game broken and in line of sight of the Germans !! Fervent prayers were answered with a Recover order in my opening hand. Three of the five broken units recoverd, American 9-2 leader Lieutenant Lapres promptly retreating out of the objective #3 building to avoid a possible first-turn-melee with the adjacent German Weapon Team.

German draw luck was abysmal. Donna found three useless Move orders in her opening hand of five, and ZERO fire orders. After a discard of five cards, still no Fire or Advance orders. The Paras blessed their undeserved luck.

Collecting forces

Lt. Lapres organized two nearby squads and moved back adjacent to Objective building 3. Meanwhile the American squad far down the lane used their usually-useless light mortar to break the German HMG squad at the crossroads.

First Assault Fire

Another Move order with the Assault Fire Action broke or suppressed the Germans in Building 4.

German Reinforcements

Time Trigger 2 saw the German reinforcements arrive on the road to assault hapless Sergeant White. His single Ambush was not nearly enough, and the lone American leader hit the casualty track.

American Sgt Fuller, arriving by reinforcement event, moved into the line of sight of Lt. Lauerbach and his lmg-armed squad, breaking in the road due to their fire action. Events seemed to favor the Germans, as a nearby American squad was broken by shellshock event and killed by sniper trigger. Before long, Sgt Fuller also fell to the same effective German sniper.

Taking the Main Position

Lots of action now centered around objective building 4. German Sgt Bierman recovered his men and ordered fire on the adjacent, broken, supressed American squad, eliminating it.

A deploy event changed the American squad in objective 3 into two fearsome elite teams. These were ordered to advance into objective 4, eliminating the weapon team in Melee.

Lt. Lapres quickly ordered another advance which eliminated Sgt. Bierman and his squad. The situation was bleak for the Germans.

Close with the enemy

Paras are good at Assault Fire

Throughout the game, American Sgt. Elkheart had crouched at the edge of the road, adjacent to several German units, hearing the firefights and melees all around him. He contented himself with smoking a couple of his fresh Marlboros. Elkheart was astonished to see three para squads and Lt. Lapres rush past him on the roads, firing as they moved. He took another deep drag.

German Return Fire

Lt. Lauerbach, never willing to give in, recovered his men and ordered fire into Lt. Lapres' location. This was extremely effective, breaking team, squad, and leader. A lucky Hero event recovered the American squad, Lucas then being eliminated due to overstacking.

Elkheart takes command

Badly shaken Lt. Lapres was in no condition to continue the assault. - - - But there, crouching beside the road where he had originally landed, was Sgt. Elkheart, in EXACTLY the right position to snuff out his cigarette, seize command, and advance 2 teams and 2 squads into the woods held by Lauerbach !

Donna's two ambush actions, even with a fp draw of eleven, were not enough to overcome the huge numerical disadvantage. However, without the previous Hero event which recovered one Para squad, the result would have been a stunning German melee victory, and surrender by the Americans instead !!

Casualty Track

Looking at the casualty track, the game was a closer-run thing than it seemed, as after elimination of three American teams due to overstacking, the Americans were also within one unit of surrender.

I do SO love this game, and very much enjoyed my 500th play, 'We Go !' from the Paratrooper scenario pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Chick on your 500th play of CC, and a great game and AAR!

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CC is such a wonderful game! Good AAR! Glad you enjoyed your 500th game! Will you play another 500?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.

Could someone more clever than I tell me how to have the next larger size pictures to show up in the report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Thanks for the kind words.

Could someone more clever than I tell me how to have the next larger size pictures to show up in the report?

just add 'medium' or 'large' after the image tag, within the brackets. Like thus:

[image26453 large]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If one day they publish a scenario pack titled "Combat Commander - Greatest Hits", then scenario 33 surely belongs in such a collection.

The wildest game of CC I have played was in this scenario. As the Americans, I landed scattered all over creation, with many broken squads from the outset. Somehow, this turned into a wild cat-and-mouse game all over the map. I finally got the center building surrounded, hammering away at the Germans. A couple of them got away, running several hexes into the dense hedgerows, and taking any chance of me winning by kills with them. Then, I spawn Lucas, who single-handedly chases down the two German units and kills them both in melee! Afterwards, another game of chase ensues, with me finally pinning down the last German units in the north and eliminating one in sudden-death for the win.

An excellent situation report for your 500th game! 500...that number boggles my mind. I'll be lucky to ever hit 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all !

And to Harlem, - works great !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, congrats Chick, I can't fathom 500 games, I am certain I will never do it. How long did this take, I must assume you bought the game upon release so 4ish years?

Congrats again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
500th game

You, kind sir, are a right nutcase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Chick! As much as we play, I can't come close to catching you! Great AAR too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You deserve a citation and medal for using the mortar successfully in this scenario. It's a very challenging weapon to put on this map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salimo asked: "How long did this take, I must assume you bought the game upon release so 4ish years?"

First Game January 2008
100th game April 2009 (15 months)
200th game June 2010 (14 months)
300th game February 2011 (8 months)
400th game October 2011 (8 months)
500th game August 2012 (10 months)
EDIT:
600th game March 2014 (19 months)
700th game January 2016 (22 months)

So, no, I didn't get CC as soon as it came out, but yes, about 4.5 years to play 500 times.

It should be noted that my buddy ProfessorElm is amassing plays at such a rapid rate that he will probably pass my total before the end of 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
500 games. Simply amazing! What's your won-loss record? Have you kept any sort of log? I'm just starting out with CC and think I'll do that, recording date played, opponent, scenario, map, forces, outcome, brief narrative (AAR) etc.
Congrats on 500 games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we have an extensive log, recording the things you mention, plus map orientation, forces chosen, and posture for the RSG games.

Against Walt I won three of four, for two reasons:

1. I was a better player, and

2. Walt often decided that making the gallant doomed assault was more important than winning the game.

My win/loss record against Donna is a closely-guarded secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:

"Interrogation" Event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
chicklewis wrote:

So Donna has won the majority of the games. Got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
"Interrogation" Event!

Malacandra examines Chick's four card defensive hand and discards 'Fire/Ambush', ignoring three 'Command Confusion'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:

2. Walt often decided that making the gallant doomed assault was more important than winning the game.

My kind of player. No guts no glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't help but notice that your German counters are battle-worn after 500 games. After that much play, how is your CC set physically holding up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Shager, everything is holding up ok, except we dumped water on the time/casualty record sheet, and it is warped, so we use the Pacific version for everything. Cards are still good, but I have spare CCE decks for when the German deck may finally be worn to the place that it "marks" some cards. I also have a spare set of counters for CC:E, but the only ones of those we use are for "lost" counters, of which there are a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.