Hide
8 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Culture overpowered in Fame and Fortune rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon van Kemenade
msg tools
After playing and really enjoying all new additions of the expansion Fame and Fortune we came to the conclusion that cultural victories are maybe to easy. In the basic game it was nearly impossible to acquire it with two players but after investing 3 gold in 'Endowment of the arts' advancing on the cultural track is quite cheap, especially to get the tier 1 cards. The new cultural events also give you soldiers so you can devote your cities even more. Lastly, the great person deck give you powerful bonusses along with the great person marker you can place near one of your cities.

With these three things we think the other victories are relatively to difficult. First we had mainly economic and military victories but after four games with the expansion (one with 3 players other with 2 players) we only had cultural victories. In the 3 player game I focussed complety on military to take on one of the more experienced players who was focussing on culture. The third player was a novice and I didnt really worry about her. Even then I could not beat the cultural storm of events and his great general. I got thrown back by culture events killing my figures, replacing them and soldiers suddenly spawning after I attack.

Does someone have an opinion about my statement that culture is overpowered in Fame and Fortune?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Culture is indeed much, much stronger in FaF than in Base. In Base, I would rate the victory conditions Econ-Mil-Cul-Tech while in FaF I would say it's more Cul-Mil-Econ-Tech. With that said, the gaps between the different conditions are less pronounced and I feel that they are more balanced.

There has been some argument about turning Endowment for the Arts into 2/4/5 (instead of 1/3/5). That should weaken Culture somewhat. We've been playing with it for several games, but now I personally am leaning back to 1/3/5. I feel that I learned enough about the game to identify when a player has the potential for a Culture victory, upon which at least one other player will go and kill him (since Culture players are often weak militarily).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon van Kemenade
msg tools
The problem I was facing is that even when I go 100% military the culture events are so powerful (and easy to get with endowment to the arts) that my figures constantly got killed or were moved away. The new culture events also give the culture players suddenly spawning soldiers after being attacked.

To make endownment to the arts a 2/4/5 card was also an idea I came up with to make culture a little more difficult. I think we lack skill and experience which you probably have because you played much more games to effectively take out a culture player. Maybe after some more games of Fame and Fortune we found out that the game is indeed nicely balanced and we are doing things wrong at the moment. Thats why its such a fascinating game i truely enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each deck has three cards capable of moving or destroying Figures, plus a couple of cards that build Units. The rest of the deck is not directly related to military. An aggressive military player should be able to overcome a pure Culture player about 80% of the time; the luck of the draw might play in the Culture player's favor, of course, and he might choose to take Mysticism (increasing his card quality in exchange for an even weaker military).

A smart military player will invest a bit into Culture himself, in order to net these delicious GPs and maybe Bread and Circuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Agree. The counter to culture is agressive military. Attack early And keep the pressure.

Take a look at pbf#51, spain went culture And was confident of victory, But Greece attacked early And trashed Spain's defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I feel like mysticism is a MUST now for military players. Getting those bread and circuses or jousting tournaments are incredibly important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blarknob wrote:
I feel like mysticism is a MUST now for military players. Getting those bread and circuses or jousting tournaments are incredibly important.

I would not say it's a must. In fact, Military can win without any Culture whatsoever (esp. in a 3p or 4p game). Russia, for example, can do a great job with no Culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
blarknob wrote:

I would not say it's a must. In fact, Military can win without any Culture whatsoever (esp. in a 3p or 4p game). Russia, for example, can do a great job with no Culture.

germany too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.