Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game ends after the turn during which either
• the supply of rat tokens is depleted, or
• a player manages to have all his cubes on the board at the end of his turn (this is rare).
• Thereafter a final round follows, in which all players, except the player having the last regular turn, may use the abilities of their class cards one last time.
After this, the player with the most cubes still in play on the board (including any cubes in the palace area) wins. In the case of a tie between two or more players, the game is won by the player (among the tied players) that would have had the next turn if the game had not ended.
------

So, let's say I am player 1 and 2, 3, 4, are clockwise from me.

P1 plays his turn, then in plague phase puts out the last two rats and finishes plague phase. Now, 2, then 3, then 4 each get to use abilities (only). 1 loses all ties, 4 beats 1, 3 beats 1 & 4, 2 beats everyone.

Do I have all that right? Only reason I ask is because it seems like a raw deal for the player going out (lose all ties, no abilities) but I'm sure it's just something I'm missing in terms of the advantage of going out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiebreaker order would simply be 2 > 3 > 4 > 1. Yes, 1 loses all ties, and 2 wins all ties.

If you needed a logical reason for this, consider that if Player 1 ended the game, it means that Player 2's turn was 4 turns ago. Since all the other players had a full turn in order to "beat" Player 2 (by dropping rats in his regions, etc), he wins all the ties.

You are correct that the player who ends the game is at a slight disadvantage regarding the tiebreaker. But then again, he also got the last regular turn of the game, so he has the most control over the final state of the board. Most of the mini-turns that the other players get for using their character don't change the board state very much (add 1 extra cube, push a rat away, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
P1 plays his turn, then in plague phase puts out the last two rats and finishes plague phase. Now, 2, then 3, then 4 each get to use abilities (only).

Actually, the final round is played Anticlockwise. So player one triggers the end game, by putting out the last rat. Then it would be player 4, then 3 and finally 2 that get to use just their abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HairyDogWalker wrote:
AstroLad wrote:
P1 plays his turn, then in plague phase puts out the last two rats and finishes plague phase. Now, 2, then 3, then 4 each get to use abilities (only).

Actually, the final round is played Anticlockwise. So player one triggers the end game, by putting out the last rat. Then it would be player 4, then 3 and finally 2 that get to use just their abilities.

Oh yes, thanks. Omitted that important detail from what I quoted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth mentioning (since I know it's not the main focus of your question) that after all players exercise their roles, counter-clockwise, on the last turn that all the rats on the board get flipped?
Then the player with the most cubes on the board wins.

Edit:
In terms of the advantage of going out, I like to take whichever role I want to keep away from the other players. Or if you have the Witch and you are confident you will best survive the Ratocaust. And of course you ideally want to trigger the end when you are in the lead.

This is not a super deep game. Don't sandbag it with AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Is it worth mentioning (since I know it's not the main focus of your question) that after all players exercise their roles, counter-clockwise, on the last turn that all the rats on the board get flipped?
Then the player with the most cubes on the board wins.

Yes! Although I do believe it's not officially settled who actually does the flipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
I do believe it's not officially settled who actually does the flipping.

Well, the designers have weighed in on that issue in another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.