Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » News

Subject: New Article: Clash of Cultures: All the little pieces (Part 2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Z-man Games Website [http://www.zmangames.com/news.htm#Clash081412]

Note: The original article didn't include the individual unit images but I've linked each unit type from the BGG images currently available.

Z-man Website wrote:
Clash of Cultures: All the little pieces (Part 2)

This week, we are revealing the figurines that you will discover in Clash of Cultures. We have been impatiently waiting to show you there for quite a while now, so here we go!



Army: (first on the left) They are used as the combat unit. They will help protect your cities and try to conquer others. Army units may attack foreign Units as well as foreign Cities.

Settlers: They are primarily used to establish cities and explore new territories. They are also used to create trade routes that will allow for merchandise to move freely between cities. They do not fight.

Ships: They are used to transport units and to explore new territory. They can also be used in battle and to establish trade routes between the different cities.

You start the game with one Settler who must go out and explore the land around him. If you want to add more units to your game, there is a price to pay. Settlers will cost you two Food, while Army units will cost you one Food and one Ore; Boats will cost you two Wood.

New Land units, such as Settlers and Army units, appear in the City that “built” them, while Ships are placed in the Sea space of a Port. You must have a Port to “build” Ships.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed here that the prototype had miniatures representing each Wonder as well as barbarian miniatures. Are these still part of the game?

I presume there is going to be a Part 3+ which previews the happiness tokens, tiles, etc?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
I noticed [thread=7030944]here[/thread] that the prototype had miniatures representing each Wonder as well as barbarian miniatures. Are these still part of the game?

I presume there is going to be a Part 3+ which previews the happiness tokens, tiles, etc?


The barbarian units and settlements use the same minis (brown). The wonders wont be minis as that would cost about the same as sending the game on a return mission to Mars (believe me I tried lobby for it, but to be fair I know it would be too much). But I did get my city-pieces which were a deal breaker

The Wonders will be thick vertical cardboard tokens featuring the art of each specific wonder.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, I'm 100% sure that Litko [http://www.litko.net/] or others will produce their own amazing Wonder miniatures if the game is really successful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on these figures, I have a question about the game overall.

Does it encompass "ages" of history, from early man to modern era? I ask because I am wondering if the spearmen figures above represent all armies, from, well, spearmen through riflemen and later.

Or is Clash of Cultures more of an Ancient civ game, maybe ending before the medieval era?

Or are there different figures not shown yet?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't reach modern era. You can see the tech board it has been shown.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
Based on these figures, I have a question about the game overall.

Does it encompass "ages" of history, from early man to modern era? I ask because I am wondering if the spearmen figures above represent all armies, from, well, spearmen through riflemen and later.

Or is Clash of Cultures more of an Ancient civ game, maybe ending before the medieval era?

Or are there different figures not shown yet?


Correct. It is an ancient Civ game which stops before gun powder. I had to choose between a more coherent feel and vast epic timescales. I chose coherent feel

Either the game would have to be much longer (I could live with that, but could everyone else?), or abstracted to the point where I'm not interested
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
Or are there different figures not shown yet?


I'm sure we'll get to see knights or cavalry in a future expansion!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Cool you updated the thread with the new images.

There is also This one:



I would really appretiate all the thumbs you guys can muster. They deserve to be seen. cool
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
I would really appretiate all the thumbs you guys can muster. They deserve to be seen. cool


I promise to get all my friends to "thumb" it if you could just post the rulebook!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
marqzen wrote:
I would really appretiate all the thumbs you guys can muster. They deserve to be seen. cool


I promise to get all my friends to "thumb" it if you could just post the rulebook!


Hehe... I think it will be posted within 30 days.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
I think it will be posted within 30 days.


That's fantastic! If I'm not mistaken, the plan is to roll the game out around Essen, which is mid-October, right? That's only 2 months away, so I'd imagine that features and rules-wise, the game is complete. Now it's just finalizing the printing and details?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
marqzen wrote:
I think it will be posted within 30 days.


That's fantastic! If I'm not mistaken, the plan is to roll the game out around Essen, which is mid-October, right? That's only 2 months away, so I'd imagine that features and rules-wise, the game is complete. Now it's just finalizing the printing and details?


Yes finalizing the layout of all elements, tools and molds for the plastic, printing, colorproofing and shipping
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How exciting of a time it must be for you, Christian, to watch your design coming to life!

I'm really happy for you, and I wish you all the success in the world with this game. Can't wait to play!!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MantaScorp wrote:
How exciting of a time it must be for you, Christian, to watch your design coming to life!

I'm really happy for you, and I wish you all the success in the world with this game. Can't wait to play!!


Thanks, that's very kind. Yeah, exciting, and pretty nervewrecking. As I have said elsewhere. If CoC tanks, then I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. I have given it everything, and it is (to my taste obviously!!!) a near perfect game where everything is carefully strung together in ways that make thematic and machanical sense. If it turns out to suck, it means my sensibilities and tastes are WAY off chart
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
MantaScorp wrote:
How exciting of a time it must be for you, Christian, to watch your design coming to life!

I'm really happy for you, and I wish you all the success in the world with this game. Can't wait to play!!


Thanks, that's very kind. Yeah, exciting, and pretty nervewrecking. As I have said elsewhere. If CoC tanks, then I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. I have given it everything, and it is (to my taste obviously!!!) a near perfect game where everything is carefully strung together in ways that make thematic and machanical sense. If it turns out to suck, it means my sensibilities and tastes are WAY off chart :D


You mean like a pirate ship captained by someone with low seamanship and without a navigator crewman in the middle of a tropical storm with bad dice rolls?
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
marqzen wrote:
MantaScorp wrote:
How exciting of a time it must be for you, Christian, to watch your design coming to life!

I'm really happy for you, and I wish you all the success in the world with this game. Can't wait to play!!


Thanks, that's very kind. Yeah, exciting, and pretty nervewrecking. As I have said elsewhere. If CoC tanks, then I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. I have given it everything, and it is (to my taste obviously!!!) a near perfect game where everything is carefully strung together in ways that make thematic and machanical sense. If it turns out to suck, it means my sensibilities and tastes are WAY off chart


You mean like a pirate ship captained by someone with low seamanship and without a navigator crewman in the middle of a tropical storm with bad dice rolls?


Yes, that much off the chart arrrh
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
MantaScorp wrote:
How exciting of a time it must be for you, Christian, to watch your design coming to life!

I'm really happy for you, and I wish you all the success in the world with this game. Can't wait to play!!


Thanks, that's very kind. Yeah, exciting, and pretty nervewrecking. As I have said elsewhere. If CoC tanks, then I'm not sure I'm cut out for this. I have given it everything, and it is (to my taste obviously!!!) a near perfect game where everything is carefully strung together in ways that make thematic and machanical sense. If it turns out to suck, it means my sensibilities and tastes are WAY off chart


Christian, just so you know, based on M&M alone you are cut out for this sort of thing. I am really looking forward to this one as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.