Subject: Why are the cards still changing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little concerned that the previews for cards are radically changing from update to update. We've seen a total revision of Crypsis, nerfings of Posted Bounty and Hadrian's wall, card numbers bouncing all over the walls, and I'm sure much more. Am I wrong in seeing this as an indication of poor playtesting or a rushed release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
I'm a little concerned that the previews for cards are radically changing from update to update. We've seen a total revision of Crypsis, nerfings of Posted Bounty and Hadrian's wall, card numbers bouncing all over the walls, and I'm sure much more. Am I wrong in seeing this as an indication of poor playtesting or a rushed release?

Nope - it's indicative of card images coming out in two batches...

Preview and Final.

There was a point when the cards started getting three things:

Frequency bars; Core Set Symbol; Number

Every card that's had all three hasn't changed.

-=-=-=-

Early on we noticed repeated card numbers, which meant they were pulling the cards in from a template, and probably forgetting (intentionally or not) to change the card ID.

I've also noticed in the rulebook that the card images are not complete images, they are composites, which made ripping them from the rulebook a downright pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, we've been getting various previews for what like 4+ months now. In the beginning they were playtest cards, now we are getting final versions. Nothing out of the ordinary for any playtest process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First card image was uploaded May 22, 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it seems indicative of a rushed release. Changing cards within 2 months of the release is sketchy enough, and the fact that Richard Garfield said he didn't accept their offer to be involved with the project because the timeframe was too short is a terrible sign; FFG wouldn't have considered giving the game a little more time so that *Richard Garfield* could contribute, possibly the premiere game designer on the planet and almost certainly the premiere game designer in America?

I really hope the game is awesome, since I know the ruleset is awesome, and I think it would be fantastic to see a serious companion/competitor to Magic with a different (but not necessarily better) distribution model. The problem is that CCGs depend more on creative design and *thorough development* than a good ruleset, and FFG has let me down on the latter a lot with their board games. In limited/core set games, however, it should be pretty good; the old Netrunner had fairly poor development too, I'd say, but in sealed deck games it still worked out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing cards within 2 months of release? So basically we're making the assumption that the card was just changed seconds before posting it?

We have absolutely no way to tell how old the preview images are - they could be from six months ago. All we know is that we were shown some prototype cards, and now we're being shown final cards (which may have been final for quite a while).

Or, you know, we could just complain about things that may not even exist because that's more fun that playing an awesome game.

I've been involved in playtesting other games with a similar release model. We got an early set of playtest stats, gave our feedback, and never saw the final version until release. It's common for companies to keep the final details to themselves while doing internal polishing, not indicative of last-minute changes at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
Am I wrong in seeing this as an indication of poor playtesting or a rushed release?

You are probably wrong.

It seems more likely that it is the result of someone using an older set of image files (probably made while the card facing was being decided) instead of the printers proof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't seeing no changes in the cards be more indicative of poor playtesting...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.