Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so, right now I'm toying with what is essentially a tactical, hex-based sports game.

The question comes down to movement of the players on each team. The problem is that I originally wanted synchronous move selection to keep things interesting, but, given 7 players on each team, that would probably bog things down a little. (Making the field hex-grid rather than measurement based was the first concession I made.)

So, since I wanted to try and keep a little of the guessing game, predicting your opponent's moves sort of thing alive, I had the idea of bidding for initiative+movement.

Basically, each class of player would have a certain amount of Movement available per turn, and then, you'd secretly select a bid for each of your players.

At the beginning of the turn, all bids are revealed, and players are placed in what will be turn order. Each player must then move the distance of their bid. Highest bids go first, down the line. And then it goes in reverse, as each player then spends up to their remaining movement points.

This feels like it should be pretty quick in action, but it also allows for that feeling of trying to outwit your opponent. If you've got the ball, you can bid high and make a break for it, hoping your defender's bids beat the guy's chasing you, allowing them to get in the way.. or, you bid low, and the defenders are suddenly forced to either blow past you, or waste a whole bunch of movement staggering backwards and leaving you free to react.

Compared to playing maneuver cards (which would require a deck for each individual player), does this feel like a nice balance of speed-of-play mixed with interesting, tactical mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It might work, although I think it could be thematically difficult to explain why your units keep running past each other.

Unless they were flying past each other... Is this a dogfighting game?

Nope, nope, just saw the word "sport" in the first sentence. Hm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
It might work, although I think it could be thematically difficult to explain why your units keep running past each other.

Well, its kind of both. Its Quidditch, in an attempt to get my wife to play a tactical game with me.

Though, even if it was on foot, I suppose it could basically be explained by players faking each other out. Going left when they thought you were going right, and such. Since in most turn-based games, you're still trying to simulate simultaneous movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Desjardins
United Arab Emirates
Florida
flag msg tools
In the game I'm currently working on, Quantum, each turn the players distribute 12 points between their units, which represent the spaces the units can move. So if you have 3 units, you could give one unit 5, one unit 4, and one unit 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Well, its kind of both. Its Quidditch, in an attempt to get my wife to play a tactical game with me.

A ha! Well, that should work just fine, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.