Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Troughton
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone put together a version of the rules of this game that makes it possible to learn how to play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but only for lack of time. The rulebooks may not be the greatest things in the world, but once you put the cards on the table the game makes a lot of sense, and any questions that have come up Alex, the designer, has been very quick to respond. If you'd like, I would be willing to chat about any questions you have about how to play if you send me a geekmail!

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are great videos on the Star Trek Deck Building Game page that clarify at least the basics of the game. After that, reading the rule book was much easier for me.
EDIT:
Here is the setup and gameplay videos (the first video is just a component description).
Set up:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/11013/star-trek-deck-building...
On your turn:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/11014/star-trek-deck-building...
Exploring explained:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/11015/star-trek-deck-building...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Troughton
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that third video should be helpful, since exploring is the messiest portion of the rulebook. It would still be nice to have something in writing that I can consult relatively quickly, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the videos, it made the rulebook a lot easier to understand and reference. But yeah, maybe someone can make a reference card to something with some basic rules and misunderstandings.
The terminology in the back of the rulebook is also helpful for your first couple of games. Not sure if it will help with specific situations, but it will help with your understanding of what each card expects you to do.

After playing a few times, I am almost positive the card texts were written by at least 2 or 3 different people as some of the wordings are really odd sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Troughton
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. The one time we tried to play, it was just never clear what we were supposed to do or how things were supposed to work, and eventually we got sick of constantly thumbing through the rules to limited effect and just gave up. But between watching that video and printing off the card manifest from the file section, it should be a lot easier, if not as smooth as I'd prefer (if only I can get my friends to give it another chance). Maybe I've just been spoiled by Dominion's fantastically written rules and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was in the files section.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/72388/quick-reference-rule...

Doesn't help on exploration, but it can help. What exactly is the problem you've had with Exploration though?

I think this game is a lot of fun and worth the second chance. Haven't really played any other deck building games, but from the videos/rules I've seen from Dominion, but I like the concept behind this game more. If I remember correctly, Dominion is a lot more controlled/euro, as where ST:TDBG as a bit more chaos, but it's that chaos and needing a flexible ever evolving strategy that I like about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Troughton
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually been awhile since we tried to play, so I don't remember exactly what our problems were, but I seem to recall wars being slow and frustrating.

STDBG is certainly more chaotic than Dominion, and that's not typically something I'm a big fan of, though I'm up for it sometimes. Dominion's approach makes for a very very different game, because knowing what cards are available (and going to be available) makes it possible to plan and follow a strategy throughout the game with certain card interactions in mind. It's like a puzzle every time you play, and you have to come up with a more elegant solution than your opponents. I love that about it, and I don't think there's any danger at all of STDBG replacing Dominion in my heart, but I'm hoping I can grow to enjoy STDBG as a fun change of pace. Certainly the Star Trek licence doesn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you've played the game 3 or 4 times, you get to know the cards really well, and the Search feature becomes your friend. I highly recommend this as well, it's one of my favorite deckbuilders out there. It's also the only one that I've deemed worthy of purchasing a playmat for. Which could totally have nothing at all to do with the awesome print on it whistle

stampimo wrote:
It's actually been awhile since we tried to play, so I don't remember exactly what our problems were, but I seem to recall wars being slow and frustrating.

STDBG is certainly more chaotic than Dominion, and that's not typically something I'm a big fan of, though I'm up for it sometimes. Dominion's approach makes for a very very different game, because knowing what cards are available (and going to be available) makes it possible to plan and follow a strategy throughout the game with certain card interactions in mind. It's like a puzzle every time you play, and you have to come up with a more elegant solution than your opponents. I love that about it, and I don't think there's any danger at all of STDBG replacing Dominion in my heart, but I'm hoping I can grow to enjoy STDBG as a fun change of pace. Certainly the Star Trek licence doesn't hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure why the playmat doesn't have the Starbase/Space/Mission areas on it... X_X I guess it would take away from the awesome picture of the Enterprise, but still.

I find myself planning ahead pretty nicely in ST because I know the cares now. I found it to be overwhelmingly chaotic when I played my first and second game, but now I almost always have a good plan. With the ever-changing cards in Starbase (which changing cards so others can't have them is a tactic in it's self), it keeps you on your toes more in my opinion. I like being able to plan ahead, but I also like my plan to change as the game continues and different opportunities present themselves. This is coming from someone who doesn't really like the typical euro game, so take it with a big grain of salt. I do think Star Trek has enough solid constants to have appeal to a euro-gamer though, especially if you know the cards. But now I am just rambling.

Also, once you get to know the game and cards, you open up the aspect of deck management, which is a puzzle and almost a game it's self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.