Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: "Isolated hands/rounds" games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Under Root
msg tools
I have a friend that likes playing games but doesn't like to keep track of long-term strategy, so I'm looking for modern games that do interesting things round-to-round, but round 1 has little to no strategic effect on rounds 2 or 3 or so on, much like a classic card game; you get dealt a hand of cards, the hand is resolved, everything gets shuffled back together and a new hand is dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been on the lookout to find and design games like this. It's an interesting mechanic, and one not used too often anymore.

Right now, the closest things I can recommend are:

BattleCON: War of Indines
Citadels
Zombie Dice
For Sale

These are games that are played with a series of "hands", where you (almost) start fresh with every hand even if you did disastrously poorly last hand.

I was thinking Galaxy Trucker might also qualify, but I've never played it.

The way I tried to explain it my friend was "Think of a game like the original Star Trek series. I want a game where on my turn, I land on a planet, meet some aliens, resolve a crisis, glorify humanity, and at the end of my turn, all my cards are discarded and its time for the next mission."

As far as I know, there are no games like that. Yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Citadels does this wonderfully. The strategies for each round are influenced by what's already on the table, but most of the game is in the character selection, which essentially refreshes from round to round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.