Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after my first play - mostly dealing with indirect fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally managed to get my copy of FoF to the table after having it for a few days. Of course my first game would have a ton of enemy spotters and weird circumstances I have thus far not seen addressed elsewhere... I'm surely missing the answers somewhere, but perhaps someone in the know could lend me a hand (and save me hours of further searching).

1) Does an Incoming VOF block line of site out of a card, or only through?

2) When spotted, does an enemy Mtr/Arty FO calmly sit there and keep calling in air strikes, or does it flip to its Team side?

3) When checking for an air strike, do enemy spotters heed "short" results?

4) Are newly created LATS pinned? For example, if a 3 step unit breaks into a 2 step unit and a Paralyzed Team, do BOTH get a pinned marker? (I'm assuming the answer to this one is yes, but just wanted to double check).

5) Do casualties produced in cover stay in cover (counting against the step penalty for units in cover under Incoming or Grenade fire)?

6) Can I "break down" a unit at will? (For example, I had a rocket team alone on a card with a PC marker. After the PC marker was resolved, there was an enemy light machine gun in a foxholes sitting on the same card. Since it takes an action to fire the rockets, as they are G!, I had no VOF to put down for my side, leaving me flat-footed. Can I, in such a circumstance, break the unit down to its team side so I could place an S VOF on the card for my side)?

7) Following from this last example, when will a card with friendly units open fire on a neighboring card with friendly units? Ever? Only if the friendlies move into an already happening battle? (From the example above, I had a platoon on a neighboring card, but I assumed they would not open fire into the newly created conflict because I had a unit there. If that's the case, when can they open fire? My rocket team was soon reduced to a Paralyzed Team, so - if there is a LAT on the card, will they still not open fire?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least some answers:

1. Also blocks LOS out, which comes in handy in Normandy, where the US have artillery superiority.
2. ??
3. ??
4. If a LAT is created by battle, it is pinned (and the remaining squad too). If you create the LAT by command, it is not pinned of course.
5. ??
6. Check if there is a command for that.
7. ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
At least some answers:
6. Check if there is a command for that.

Yes, there is one that I missed. In the case of my example, it wouldn't have mattered, as I was past the point of being able to use actions. The game was smooth except for resolving PC markers - bringing enemies onto the board was the source of most confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2) When spotted, does an enemy Mtr/Arty FO calmly sit there and keep calling in air strikes, or does it flip to its Team side?

Keeps calling in strikes. Most spotters will come in on the map under default cover if one isn't specifically listed, so until pinned or taking hits they will continue to bring on the pain. (See 9.8, 2nd Edition Rules)

Quote:

Yep, they pretty much follow the sames rules as you unless otherwise noted. If they fall-back a card, they'll be marked Exposed, etc. (See 6.7.3, 2nd Edition Rules for how to apply Short Rounds)

Quote:
4) Are newly created LATS pinned? For example, if a 3 step unit breaks into a 2 step unit and a Paralyzed Team, do BOTH get a pinned marker? (I'm assuming the answer to this one is yes, but just wanted to double check).

Any HIT result causes all the counters involved (except casualties) to be Pinned. So if a 3-step is reduced to a 2-step and a fire team splits off, both those units are now Pinned. (See 6.9.2, 2nd Edition Rules, Example Box)

Quote:
5) Do casualties produced in cover stay in cover (counting against the step penalty for units in cover under Incoming or Grenade fire)?

They remain in that cover. Do they count against the 3-step limit? The only reference I found before was this one here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6eec3/5001

Ben couldn't remember for sure, so he suggested just counting friendly casualties.

Quote:
6) Can I "break down" a unit at will? (For example, I had a rocket team alone on a card with a PC marker. After the PC marker was resolved, there was an enemy light machine gun in a foxholes sitting on the same card. Since it takes an action to fire the rockets, as they are G!, I had no VOF to put down for my side, leaving me flat-footed. Can I, in such a circumstance, break the unit down to its team side so I could place an S VOF on the card for my side)?

As the unit is out of command, you would need to use a general initiative command to order a Rally: j. Flip a Unit with a Fire Team Side to that side.

Quote:
7) Following from this last example, when will a card with friendly units open fire on a neighboring card with friendly units? Ever? Only if the friendlies move into an already happening battle? (From the example above, I had a platoon on a neighboring card, but I assumed they would not open fire into the newly created conflict because I had a unit there. If that's the case, when can they open fire? My rocket team was soon reduced to a Paralyzed Team, so - if there is a LAT on the card, will they still not open fire?)

As long as friendly units remain on the adjacent card (i.e. except casualties), friendly units will not open fire automatically unless a Shift Fire order is given. Once any friendly units have left the adjacent card or have been reduced to casualties, will friendly units start firing on that card automatically (unless engaged elsewhere already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Quote:

Keeps calling in strikes. Most spotters will come in on the map under default cover if one isn't specifically listed, so until pinned or taking hits they will continue to bring on the pain. (See 9.8, 2nd Edition Rules)

Quote:

Yep, they pretty much follow the sames rules as you unless otherwise noted. If they fall-back a card, they'll be marked Exposed, etc. (See 6.7.3, 2nd Edition Rules for how to apply Short Rounds)

Quote:

Any HIT result causes all the counters involved (except casualties) to be Pinned. So if a 3-step is reduced to a 2-step and a fire team splits off, both those units are now Pinned. (See 6.9.2, 2nd Edition Rules, Example Box)

Quote:

They remain in that cover. Do they count against the 3-step limit? The only reference I found before was this one here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6eec3/5001

Ben couldn't remember for sure, so he suggested just counting friendly casualties.

Quote:

As the unit is out of command, you would need to use a general initiative command to order a Rally: j. Flip a Unit with a Fire Team Side to that side.

Quote:

As long as friendly units remain on the adjacent card (i.e. except casualties), friendly units will not open fire automatically unless a Shift Fire order is given. Once any friendly units have left the adjacent card or have been reduced to casualties, will friendly units start firing on that card automatically (unless engaged elsewhere already).

Thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed (extra kudos for pointing me to the passages in the rules). Regarding your last answer: so I could order a unit that hasn't placed a VOF/has no PDF to open fire by ordering them to shift fire? Or must they be firing in another direction first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Regarding your last answer: so I could order a unit that hasn't placed a VOF/has no PDF to open fire by ordering them to shift fire? Or must they be firing in another direction first?

Units automatically open fire so if there is an eligible target they will be firing. You do have to tell them to cease or shift fire however.

See this section in the FOF Bootcamp on engaging the enemy:

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/rules-ref...

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed (extra kudos for pointing me to the passages in the rules). Regarding your last answer: so I could order a unit that hasn't placed a VOF/has no PDF to open fire by ordering them to shift fire? Or must they be firing in another direction first?

Well, pretty much as soon as an enemy presents itself in LOS (and friendlies aren't on the card), your units will immediately open fire and drop a VOF on the card. If you can choose between two cards (say a PC marker puts units on more than one card, and they come in spotted), use a random number to determine which card gets your loving attention.

Check out 6.1 & 6.2.3, the later points out that even if you call a cease fire, if enemy units are still in range and LOS, your units will open fire again on them which sucks when it comes to ammo expenditure.

Note that the list in 6.1 says "may occur due to", leaving it open to other conditions which can cause your units to open fire, like when your friendly units on a card with enemy units shuffle off the mortal coil, leaving the enemy units in range and LOS of another friendly unit that checked its fire before.

Also read the details on 4.2.4 : Combat Actions : i. Cease Fire & j. Shift Fire.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of rules are sometimes nested in not so obvious places. Skim over *everything* several times so you have an idea where stuff is. Some things you find on the player aids/charts, others in the sequence of play which really should be repeated again later but aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of rules are sometimes nested in not so obvious places. Skim over *everything* several times so you have an idea where stuff is. Some things you find on the player aids/charts, others in the sequence of play which really should be repeated again later but aren't.

Exactly... which is the reason we made the FOF Boot Camp site. The rules are all there, but sometimes hard to find. The Boot Camp pulls them all together in one place on a topic by topic basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaanDo wrote:
Exactly... which is the reason we made the FOF Boot Camp site. The rules are all there, but sometimes hard to find. The Boot Camp pulls them all together in one place on a topic by topic basis.

That's what I get for wandering off to cook dinner mid-post and not checking for other replies when I got back.

FoF Boot Camp is an awesome resource for answering questions and bridging these bits of information together.

Thanks for the resource Ron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.