Subject: Great Pirate card game gets expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Arrow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Raiding Parties card game review

This is a short review of the pirate card game Raiding Parties created by Nick Pace. A More detailed review of the game can be found on http://bit.ly/NyuVwy .  I've been playing the game quite a lot recently and although the original rules could be a bit hard to follow until you had played it through a couple of times, the new rules on the website are much clearer. Once you get going the game is quite simple but has depth of tactics. One of the nicest things about it is the fantastic artwork by Don Maitz This is atmospheric and makes the two decks that make up the game quite beautiful in their own right.

So, there are two decks of cards :raiding party cards (these are characters with different attributes, weapons and values) and playing cards (which you use to decide if you hit the target). The raiding party cards have great illustration on them and the playing cards also have excellent artwork; they have the additional benefit of a Pirate-like feel of cutting cards for your life!

The aim of the game is to form a raiding party and battle your rival until you are the last pirate standing. This is done by selecting either a projectile weapon or a melee weapon from your raiding party card and attacking your opponent. To attack, you turn over the top playing card to see if the suit matches the one shown next to your weapon. Your pirate has a specific number of hit points; when they are hit you put a hit point token on them (I have been using some cool plastic pirate coins designed for kids parties). Once they've used up their hit points, they're dead. You can adjust the length of the game by changing the number of pirates in your raiding party. You can also increase the complexity by allowing ships and forts into the game.The game is brilliant fun, atmospheric and very portable. They are currently running a Kickstarter campaign to fund an expansion to the game with loads more pirates and more exciting art. Backers have the opportunity to receive some cool signed cards- check it our on kickstarter -  http://kck.st/NEyPVR

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Perth
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the game is awesome. I love the flow of the gameplay, but what really shines through is the theme (the artwork adds a lot to this). This feels like a game about a raiding party of pirates!

I can't wait for set 2 to add some new pirates and other cards to the mix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.