Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Take you pictures of the spectacle and post here many comments on game play!!!

Do this and much will be yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the game released in the States already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Was the game released in the States already?

No, but they are demoing it at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I'd like to hear more about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently on sale at GenCon.. D6Generation crew bought two copies. They have a few pictures up on their Facebook page also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We demo'd this at GenCon and liked it so much we immediately bought it. The demo does not really do it justice. We played it most of the afternoon and evening and it was awesome - at least with the right group. Eurogamers stay away if you can't get into the spirit of mayhem, treachery and considerable randomness.

We had a blast. With a simple ruleset, the game captures eveything - building a ludus, wheeling and dealing, a marketplace, match-ups between gladiators, and gambling. Even if your gladiator is not in the ring - you are interested in the outcome because you're betting on it.

It doesn't bog down in complexity, but captures the whole spirit of both the show and the concept of gladiatorial games well.

Recommended for bloodthirsty and conniving type gamers who love the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris fromCanada
msg tools
I played a demo at this at GenCon, and one of the people I'm with immediately turned around and bought a copy. I went in not even knowing this game existed, and came away pleasantly surprised. I played it again with the purchased copy, and I think overall 4 of the 5 people who played the game enjoyed it. I have watched all of one episode of the show, so the media tie-in doesn't really add anything for me.

As with the post above, I found the rules very simple. The fighting mechanics are very simple, but they played pretty well. Tons of bribery and promises of future favours going on, which made things entertainingly treacherous.

The full game took us about 1.5 hours to finish with two players never having played before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Daks wrote:
I think overall 4 of the 5 people who played the game enjoyed it.

Did you play with 5? The BGG entry says 3-4; if this plays with more, that is a plus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
looking forward for this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris fromCanada
msg tools
gciscell wrote:
Daks wrote:
I think overall 4 of the 5 people who played the game enjoyed it.

Did you play with 5? The BGG entry says 3-4; if this plays with more, that is a plus!

Only 3-4 player, I'm afraid. I just meant the five different players between the demo + full game that I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played this at GenCon and immediately bought a copy after the demo.

My primary concern was that it was a game slapped on top of a media property, but this is clearly not the case.

I would agree, that Euro gamers should steer clear of this one, as the mayhem and treachery are at all time highs, in addition to the randomness of dice combat.

The rulebook is fantastic and the artwork/tie in are top notch. Although based on a very mature subject, most of the art steers clear of anything too mature...no nudity or pics of heads flying off their respective bodies.

People working at the booth indicated an expansion was forthcoming rather soon to increase the number of players to 5 or 6 I believe. With experienced players, this shouldn't bog down the game too much, as the interaction is pretty top notch here, even when it's not your turn. You can almost see the schemes forming in other players heads as they laugh maniacally during betting.

It's kind of a blessing and a curse that this game got the Spartacus property as the mature rating will definitely keep some away from this awesome game filled with blood, battle, and treachery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris fromCanada
msg tools
Yeah, despite the "mature" label, the game itself steers fairly tame.

A few things that might bother some:
- Language: there's some rough language on a number of cards
- Prostitution: brothels referenced in card text in one or two places
- Violence: some blood splatters on card art, nothing more graphic than that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We demoed this and bought it as well. We love the concept of players being able to bribe/blackmail each other at any time. I was one of the players in the arena for the demo, but the other two appeared to be engaged in just watching it unfold, since they had gold riding on the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun S
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We demo'd this as well. It was a fun experience. The game captures theme so well that it actually cancels out any replayability concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo'ed it, bought it. Review is pending approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very good indeed, I might have to pick this one up in the future.

For those who might be offended by the content, I wonder if they have ever watched the series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
This one seemed to catch everyone by surprise at GenCon. I purchased it immediately after demoing, even though I'd never even heard of the game before the convention. It impressed me that much.

I suspect we'll be hearing a lot more BGG users chime in too, because there were a LOT of copies sold at GenCon. They had quite an active booth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle C
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ah eee hah!
badge
YUB NUB!
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
This one seemed to catch everyone by surprise at GenCon. I purchased it immediately after demoing, even though I'd never even heard of the game before the convention. It impressed me that much.

I suspect we'll be hearing a lot more BGG users chime in too, because there were a LOT of copies sold at GenCon. They had quite an active booth.

Yeah, chalk me up as another "never heard of it, then bought it" customer. I think we're going to find out that this was the real belle of the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ewokalypse wrote:
cbs42 wrote:

Yeah, chalk me up as another "never heard of it, then bought it" customer. I think we're going to find out that this was the real belle of the con.

Couldn't agree more. The design is genius. My only complaint is the lack of variety in equipment cards, but that is minor at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bracus Anguis
United States
flag msg tools
Another the "never heard, then bought". Has anyone tried it with just three players? It seemed to me like it might not function as well with just three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on when this is expected for retailers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Any word on when this is expected for retailers?

They were saying October at the booth.

Regarding the number of players, the guy I talked to said that they wanted to originally make the game for up to 6 players, but that would have put the price point too high. But, he said the expansion was coming around December, and may include things like fighting animals and 3 or 4 gladiator battles. Sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger beatson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Quick question for those who purchased a copy.
How much was it selling for and will there be a price difference between the Gencon price and normal retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracus wrote:
Another the "never heard, then bought". Has anyone tried it with just three players? It seemed to me like it might not function as well with just three.

I played the short game with 3. It worked fine, though I would agree it is probably better with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roughneck2 wrote:
Quick question for those who purchased a copy.
How much was it selling for and will there be a price difference between the Gencon price and normal retail?

It sold for 40 at gencon, which is usually MSRP. Expect it to be cheaper online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.