Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason L.- 51 points
Jason R. - 50 points
Patrick - 49 points

This was the second game of Village for Jason L. and myself, and the first time playing for Jason R.

In my first game I had made a strong crafting/market engine that netted me a lot of points, but we were all first timers to the game and I mostly had the market all to myself.

Going into this game I had the idea that I would try for a mostly civil council-based strategy, with the church and market as secondary point earners.

Jason L. went full market, focusing on crafting and getting at least one and usually two or more customers on market days. He ended with the vast majority of his 51 points from customers. He had 4 people in the chronicle and I think one coin.

Jason R. chose to focus on travel and church. He ended up visiting 5 of the 6 cities, had 4 people in the chronicle and 4 in the church at the end.

My initial council run ended short of the final stage, but it did let me hold starting player for half of the game, and I eventually killed that guy off to fill a spot in the chronicle. I ended up focusing more heavily on the church and getting a fifth family member into the chronicle, which I did on my final turn. I also had to push at the market to make is a bit harder for Jason L. to run away with the lead, so I called market day early on a couple of rounds and ended up with about 1/3 of my points from the customers.

I really like this game. It doesn't seem like there is a dominant strategy although I think you need to play the market at least a little; of course with only two plays under my belt I could easily be wrong. Each route to VPs feels feasible, and I like the you really need to combine two or three areas in order to do well. The game does a good job of giving just enought actions per round that you can feel like you are accomplishing some goals, but never enough that you feel like you've done all you need to.

This was a fun session, and to see such a close set of scores from three very different strategies is refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group played this yesterday for the first time. Three of us joined and we had a very close game as well. I think about 10 points separated first and third. Initially we were trying to maximize the use of our people before they died but after the first couple of deaths, there was then a race to kill people off as quickly as possible to get as many spaces in the Chronicle as we could.

Many, many options in the game made for 3 relatively different strategies by each of us to get points. I focused on the market, player 2 focused on travel and player three was hitting the church hard every turn.

I ended up winning primarly due to the ability to serve 2 valuable customers in two different rounds with my market strategy.

We thoroughly enjoyed this game and I'm sure we'll be playing it again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.