United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The City of Iron Kickstarter project is now live!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/city-of-iron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Sonnenberg
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving the new artwork! Especially the lands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn you Ryan, I was trying to cut back on my Kickstarter funding!

BTW, I really appreciate you having such a simple and easy to figure out campaign. No tiers that add this or that, just nice and simple. I'm not super happy with some games that have a tier for the game, another game + promos, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
The City of Iron Kickstarter project is now live!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/city-of-iron

To anyone reading this who just now getting interested in the game---GO KICKSTART!!!

Read the reviews. I am positive you won't be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverbuy wrote:

ouch

$90 outside the US and Canada. Yeah, I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
Neverbuy wrote:

ouch

Unfortunately, ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Runkst wrote:
Neverbuy wrote:

ouch

Unfortunately, ditto

Me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
50 $ is a lot and it made me think but I would have paid that.

40 $ shipping is a very, very bad joke. I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Stepin
Russia
Arkhangelsk
Arkhangelsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always makes me sad when I see outside-the-US shipping costs.

The game is quite attractive especially as I've liked Empires of the Void by Ryan and backed it single-handedly but $90 per copy is too much for me. I have to pass unless I find some Russian companions for a cooperative backing.

Still good luck, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Smrdel
Slovenia
Domžale
Osrednjeslovenska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with my non-US potential backers. 40$ for shipping and handling outside US is too steep.

From the description of the game box it looks like a normal game box. What is its potential weight?

Maybe Rad Raven Games can look into some "normal shipping charge" and actually achieve that 90k final goal.

But working hard for it has its perks I guess. devil

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$40 is a bit steep, but I can imagine it's necessary to cover costs.

I would really love it if the stretch goals would lower these costs some - I would like that more than getting plastic coins and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Stepin
Russia
Arkhangelsk
Arkhangelsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
I would really love it if the stretch goals would lower these costs some - I would like that more than getting plastic coins and tokens.

I should say, that's quite a reasonable proposal. I'd love that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really sorry about the high international shipping costs.

If you can find 2 people that live nearby to buy the game with you the price for each game after international shipping is just $56.66.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Darn you Ryan, I was trying to cut back on my Kickstarter funding!

BTW, I really appreciate you having such a simple and easy to figure out campaign. No tiers that add this or that, just nice and simple. I'm not super happy with some games that have a tier for the game, another game + promos, etc.

Thanks Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Stepin
Russia
Arkhangelsk
Arkhangelsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
If you can find 2 people that live nearby to buy the game with you the price for each game after international shipping is just $56.66.

That's correct but if 2-3 people live nearby they're most likely in the same game group and don't need several copies.

Tho I've started a thread in the Russian guild examining the possibility of backing the game with some people from other Russian cities. Even tho we'd have to pay additional postal charges for shipping inside the country it's still better than doing it all alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats wrong with the shipping costs? He is already eating a bit of the shipping it seems. A 5 pound box shipped to Germany costs $58 to ship. a 5lb box shipped to New York costs $12. It looks like he is eating the roughly same amount from each of the shipping costs AND giving a $10 discount from retail. The game is well worth the $50 if you live in the US. I don't think it is being very fair to ask he eat more of the cost(I am speaking for myself here). I understand that shipping seems high but it is just as bad coming the other way across the pond. All the cool games on Indegogo (sp?) with super expensive shipping costs (Briefcase, Drum Roll, Western Town, Among the Stars to name a few). Shipping across the world is expensive and I just don't feel asking the developer to eat into the already slim margin to ship cheaper to the other side of the world is very fair.

Sorry just my two cents.

Of course I am using USPS prices so if you know of a cheaper way to ship then my arguments are moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Smrdel
Slovenia
Domžale
Osrednjeslovenska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
Whats wrong with the shipping costs? He is already eating a bit of the shipping it seems. A 5 pound box shipped to Germany costs $58 to ship. a 5lb box shipped to New York costs $12. It looks like he is eating the roughly same amount from each of the shipping costs AND giving a $10 discount from retail. The game is well worth the $50 if you live in the US. I don't think it is being very fair to ask he eat more of the cost(I am speaking for myself here). I understand that shipping seems high but it is just as bad coming the other way across the pond. All the cool games on Indegogo (sp?) with super expensive shipping costs (Briefcase, Drum Roll, Western Town, Among the Stars to name a few). Shipping across the world is expensive and I just don't feel asking the developer to eat into the already slim margin to ship cheaper to the other side of the world is very fair.

Sorry just my two cents.

Of course I am using USPS prices so if you know of a cheaper way to ship then my arguments are moot.

US shipping is free and you all agree that is good (even if you are not pointing it out). I am just going to point out this kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/disaster-looms?...

50$ + 25$ for international shipping ... so since I was a backer of that game I am quite happy with it. Also I believe that Disaster Looms has a good deal of heavy cardboard in the box.

So this are my 5 cents and no diss-regard to publisher but from your current statistic you could rethink that postage strategy and give some love to the international backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:

Sorry just my two cents.

The shipping for this project for me is 30% more expensive than any other boardgame kickstarter I've seen. Normal prices seem to be $20 or $30.

Also, I think the math is a bit more complicated than just saying he's eating all those costs. If I bought this game in a gamestore, he'd earn roughly $25 on that sale from what I understand.

Anyway, I wish them all the luck with this game, but it's too rich for my blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RRunner wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

Sorry just my two cents.

US shipping is free and you all agree that is good (even if you are not pointing it out). I am just going to point out this kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/disaster-looms?...

50$ + 25$ for international shipping ... so since I was a backer of that game I am quite happy with it. Also I believe that Disaster Looms has a good deal of heavy cardboard in the box.

So this are my 5 cents and no diss-regard to publisher but from your current statistic you could rethink that postage strategy and give some love to the international backer.

US shipping is NOT free. Someone somewhere has to pay for it. Ryan is paying for it. It costs 12 - 13 dollars to ship a game across the country domestically. The price to ship a box to Germany is $58 and he is charging $40 so he is paying $18 of the shipping costs to Germany. I just don't think it is fair to say he should pay more of the costs. What you are suggesting is that he pay an additional say $15 of the shipping meaning he pays $33 of the $58 to ship the game and sell the game at a $10 discount? That means that if the game costs him more then $17 to make he takes a loss sending it out. I don't see that as fair. Again this is just my fuzzy math and should in no way reflect on Ryan or his Kickstarter Project. And isn't the Euro pretty strong to the US dollar right now? Like every Euro you spend gets you almost 25% more USD?? Again Fuzzy math as it was never my strong point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Smrdel
Slovenia
Domžale
Osrednjeslovenska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:

US shipping is NOT free. Someone somewhere has to pay for it. Ryan is paying for it. It costs 12 - 13 dollars to ship a game across the country domestically. The price to ship a box to Germany is $58 and he is charging $40 so he is paying $18 of the shipping costs to Germany. I just don't think it is fair to say he should pay more of the costs. What you are suggesting is that he pay an additional say $15 of the shipping meaning he pays $33 of the $58 to ship the game and sell the game at a $10 discount? That means that if the game costs him more then $17 to make he takes a loss sending it out. I don't see that as fair. Again this is just my fuzzy math and should in no way reflect on Ryan or his Kickstarter Project. And isn't the Euro pretty strong to the US dollar right now? Like every Euro you spend gets you almost 25% more USD?? Again Fuzzy math as it was never my strong point.

Not really. I am saying that if the game cost 60$ and my shipping charge would be 20$ I would be probably be ok with it. Would you?

Any way. It is what it is. No point in making any kind of debate over who is gaining and who is loosing money and how much it will should cost the publisher. He made his calculation and I would say for the market he is targeting is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RRunner wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

Not really. I am saying that if the game cost 60$ and my shipping charge would be 20$ I would be probably be ok with it. Would you?

Any way. It is what it is. No point in making any kind of debate over who is gaining and who is loosing money and how much it will should cost the publisher. He made his calculation and I would say for the market he is targeting is a good one.

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
RRunner wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

I can only speak for me, but while comparing cost of shipping with cost of product seems rational, the two have no relation at all. I could go to the local hardware store and pick up 5 bricks for $10, but if I tried to ship it even across the country, I would be paying MUCH more than $10 for shipping simply because of their weight.

Obviously, games are more complicated than that, but shipping overseas still isn't cheap. If the weight of City of Iron is anything like that of Empires of the Void, it's not going to be light, and if there's a downside to being an independent publisher, it's that the resources to reduce shipping costs may not be there.

However, I agree when it comes down to it, it really sums up to "is the total cost worth what I get out of the game". And I can see how the combined cost may be harder to justify; I just don't place that fault with the publisher in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Stepin
Russia
Arkhangelsk
Arkhangelsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
However, I agree when it comes down to it, it really sums up to "is the total cost worth what I get out of the game". And I can see how the combined cost may be harder to justify; I just don't place that fault with the publisher in this case.

I don't think anyone in this thread does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasly wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

I don't think anyone in this thread does.

Based on some of the comments, I disagree; several of the posts seem to be blaming Ryan/Red Raven Games for it to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.