Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would share with everyone the results of my own recent endeavors, thanks to an inspiring tutorial posted by David Bezio (Grubman). For those of you who wish to try this out for themselves, you can find his full set of instructions here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/448494/last-night-on-earth-z... This is/was my FIRST dip-method painting experience.

Following the completion of paining most every figure I have for the game (The Grave Weapon zombies are currently primed and awaiting their horrific treatment), I have this to say for the methods Grubman listed:

1) This is truly the quickest, most painless method you can possibly undertake when attempting to paint an entire set of miniatures. Had I attempted to paint the figures utilizing a more "traditional" method, I'm absolutely sure I would be playing with one or two painted Heroes and a couple colorized zombies (having long-since gotten bored with the painting process).

2) FEAR NOT THE DIP!!! I've seen pictures posted by others where they were afraid the dip would be too much, and instead opted to "paint" on a thin, watered-down layer over their initial paint job. While this does seem to be effective, I find that a full-on dunk produces the best results. If you, like me, experience any fear in having your more minute details obliterated by pooling excess stain, keep a q-tip on hand for some light dabbing (I did this on Jade, Becky, and Amanda the most).

3) A good matte-spray goes a long way! Okay, I admit it... I practically screamed in horror at the glossy shine each figure undertook following their bath. It was... "shimmeringly" horrifying! I prayed that the tutorial was correct, and applied a coating of Testor's Dull-Coate. To my utter delight, I noticed that the glossiness faded with each application, and kept applying in layers until I achieved the results I had been looking for.

So, was it worth it? Personally, I'm ecstatic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. One of these days I may finally try my hand at some painting... the dip method sounds like the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Else
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, these are amazing. They turned out QUITE well, and are definitely the best I've seen thus far. /highfive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: The Grave Weapons Expansion minis are done and painted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam walck
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
Really good job, and thanks for sharing the link, I've been wanting to paint my LNOE miniatures for a while now, this is definitely some good motivation to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished 3 of the 6 Heroes from the Timber Peak stand-alone expansion:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.