Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about using the dungeon tiles or dungeon maps from ddm. Is it the same size as the tiles when the tiles are linked to form the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dungeon tiles can be used for custom maps with the adventure game system, though there is more variety of size. You would need to work out a method for deploying monsters, encounters, and for laying new tiles, but otherwise I think your creativity can cut loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
boricua1111 wrote:
I was thinking about using the dungeon tiles or dungeon maps from ddm. Is it the same size as the tiles when the tiles are linked to form the board?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here - I assume DDM is the old Dungeon and Dragon Miniatures game. Are you asking if you can use the old Miniatures game tiles with Dungeon Commmand? Or are you asking about the Adventure Game series?

I don't have any experience with the Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures game, so not sure (I thought that game was played on paper maps). As the game uses the same minis, I would assume any grids are the same size, so I can imagine they can be used successfully.

I know that the Dungeon Command map pieces do link with all the tiles from the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Game systems (such as Castle Ravenloft), although as already mentioned you wold need to come up with some scenario specific house rules to make them work because they are not the same size.

I have also heard that Dungeon Command tiles will link successfully with the new boards from 2 edition Descent, but I haven't seen that first-hand.

Generally, I think you could get away with playing Dungeon Command on any grid-based board, as long as you have proper deployment areas and spaces for treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about buying some DDM tiles from ebay just so I can have different maps to play Dungeon Command on. I dont know how big the squares are in the DDM tiles versus the the Dungeon Command tiles and I don't know the dimensions either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think official "DDM tiles" exist - there are DDM maps, which I have only ever seen as full sized paper maps, and there are tiles for the Ravenloft/Ashardalon/Drizzt games, and there are tiles for the D&D roleplaying game. The good news for you is that all of these are the same scale and perfectly compatible with Dungeon Command figures. There are also plenty of third party products that use the same scale as well, such as the standard erasable battle mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I was thinking of the rogue tiles
Good to know I can use them!
I just ordered all 3 dc sets (goblins on pre order)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boricua1111 wrote:
Ah I was thinking of the rogue tiles
Good to know I can use them!
I just ordered all 3 dc sets (goblins on pre order)

We played once on the map that comes with the DDM starter. It was fun, but very open. Gives a different feel to the game (not necessarily a bad thing or good thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my only fear with using the long maps. I think I'll stick to the RPG tiles to keep the scale similar.

I may buy some DDM minis and use DDMguild cards with the minis that come with Dungeon Command, being they are repurposed.

I was also considering getting the adventure series board games. Which one is the best out of rvenloft, drizzt, and ashardalon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
I do not think official "DDM tiles" exist -

Actually, they did. The early days of DDM used a big blank grid, which you then took turns customizing with a few specific tiles of various sizes following specific placement rules. It was interesting, but cumbersome and not as pretty as the huge full color maps (which started with "Fane of the Drow"... here's a map from that set you can download: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mit/20050728a).

Can you use the tiles or full maps? Sure. Use whatever you want. The downside though, on larger maps like the old skirmish maps you'll basically spend the first several turns just moving pieces. This occurred in the original DDM too, outside of the occasional first-turn fireball to the opponent's starting area (oof) because there weren't as many range limitations as there are in DC.

Playing with the Dungeon Command tiles cut a full 1-2 turns off the game easily, by reducing the map area (22x34 DDM = 748 squares, where 16x16 DC grid with small tile "pockets" = 384 squares... almost half the size). Players are pushed into the action very rapidly.

You can use whatever you want outside of a tournament environment. IMO, you'll probably find the games more enjoyable on the smaller maps on a whole unless you're a heavily defensive player that wants multiple turns undisturbed to put everything in perfect position (in which case, you're probably not playing the right game ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So all the tiles are 8x8 and you use 4 of them at a time in a square shape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
boricua1111 wrote:

Yes, and the small tiles/start tiles are 8x4. The instructions include rules for 3 and 4 player setups.

But really, if you're just playing for fun, use whatever you want. Dungeon Tiles, graph paper, anything. I've been thinking on a 2 or 3v1 setup where the 1 player has the total morale and leadership of the other players, but can't gain morale. Kinda like Archenemy in MTG, lots of big fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered some of the boards from the D&D Adventure games and one of the sets of the D&D RPG tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
950Rav wrote:
boricua1111 wrote:

Yes, and the small tiles/start tiles are 8x4. The instructions include rules for 3 and 4 player setups.

But really, if you're just playing for fun, use whatever you want. Dungeon Tiles, graph paper, anything. I've been thinking on a 2 or 3v1 setup where the 1 player has the total morale and leadership of the other players, but can't gain morale. Kinda like Archenemy in MTG, lots of big fights.

Muhahahaha! Bring it on boys!… Wait that will just allow them to beat me together, instead of individually. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Muhahahaha! Bring it on boys!… Wait that will just allow them to beat me together, instead of individually. cry

Well, Archenemy balances this out a little more with a deck of huge effects that trigger every round, outside of the Arch's control but each with potential to swing the game heavily in their favor.

Still, I think dropping Huge Red Dragons on the field to fight a slew of adventurers sounds like good times to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where do you get additional sized tiles like those found in the Adventure system? (Revenloft etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.