Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
http://chrisdouglas.ca/games/dominion/

Works offline too!

I had posted this before, but just finished updating it today to include the latest card sets, a "No Attack Card" generation, bane pile support and up to an extra 5 cards generated for player veto selection.

If you have any feedback or suggestions, please let me know!

ps: Got a great card set you wanted added to the pre-gen list? Let me know and I should be able to add it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents -

The old 'include a reaction if an attack is present' doesn't quite work correctly any more (well, based on intent, not strict reading. For example, fool's gold does not provide the intended protection from a familiar that the intent the constraint implies).

More appropriate would be a 'include an appropriate defensive card when attack cards are present'.
Then you would need a table of attack cards and which cards defend against which.
Moat and Lighthouse (not a reaction, just a defensive card) would be flagged for all attacks, then others would be card to card (Watchtower would be flagged for curse-givers/montebank, for example).

That would make it better in my opinion. Looks good though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, but it never picks the Governor promo card. Tested it for 30-40 clicks with only Cornucopia (or Alchemy) and the Gov. checked. Other promo cards pop up frequently as expected.

I only use pure random, so I can't comment on the advanced selection features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
scotjn1 wrote:
Looks good, but it never picks the Governor promo card. Tested it for 30-40 clicks with only Cornucopia (or Alchemy) and the Gov. checked. Other promo cards pop up frequently as expected.
Ah! Thanks...I've fixed that! Spelling error in the set selection script. whistle

pinkymadigan wrote:
The old 'include a reaction if an attack is present' doesn't quite work correctly any more
Good point, and a good idea. I don't know when I'd be able to sit down and actually work them all out, but I'll definitely put it on the "to do" list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to work out the table for you. Shouldn't be too difficult. I think I can swing some time tonight to rifle through my selectors and set up a quick table that people could give feedback on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
Sure, that would be cool. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this in excel but man did it paste in poorly, so here it is in list format. There's room for debate on some of them but I tried to stick to 'does this react in a manner that could help me?' as my guideline.

All attacks either are prevented or hedged by Moat, Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, and Horse Traders. Therefore I will omit them from this list and only include further cards that could benefit the reactor when the attack is played.

Bureaucrat: nothing
Militia: Tunnel
Spy: Tunnel
Thief: Tunnel
Witch: Watchtower, Trader
Swindler: Watchtower, Trader
Minion: Tunnel
Saboteur: nothing
Torturer: Watchtower, Tunnel, Trader
Ambassador: Watchtower, Trader
Cutpurse: nothing
Pirate Ship: Tunnel
Sea Hag: Watchtower, Tunnel, Trader
Ghost Ship: nothing
Scrying Pool: Tunnel (pretty negligible corner case though)
Familiar: Watchtower, Trader
Mountebank: Watchtower, Trader
Rabble: nothing
Goons: Tunnel
Fortune Teller: nothing
Young Witch: Watchtower, Trader
Jester: Watchtower, Tunnel, Trader
Followers/Tournament: Watchtower, Tunnel, Trader
Oracle: Tunnel (similarly negligible corner case, though more likely than SP)
Noble Brigand: Watchtower, Tunnel, Trader
Margrave: Tunnel

I think that is it; excluding DA previews.

EDIT: brain fart on torturer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best thing since sliced bread. Any plans of adding Dark Ages soon?
After I create the off-line version I would like to add a few more cards: some 14 Fan downloads that I really like and incorporated into my standard sets. Any clue as to what would be the best way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Jack-of-all-Trades is by design essentially an after-the-fact Moat and can undo pretty much any type of Attack.

Also, Library counters Militia far more effectively than Tunnel counters Spy. Why include the latter but not the former?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Saboteur: nothing
Torturer: Tunnel

Torturer should include Watchtower/Trader. You can elect to gain the Curse and then trash it with Watchtower to help the Curse pile run out faster and ignore Torturer's attacks in the future, or you can opt to gain a Silver with Trader (placing it in your discard instead of in your hand). You can also ignore the reaction effect with Trader and elect to gain the Curse and trash it on your next turn if you want.

Saboteur should also include Watchtower/Trader. If a $3 card such as a Silver gets trashed, you can choose to gain a $0 or $1 card and reveal Trader to gain a Silver instead. Or you could gain Curses to replace your lost cards and trash them instantly with Watchtower or on your next turn with Trader, helping to rush towards a 3-pile ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Jack-of-all-Trades is by design essentially an after-the-fact Moat and can undo pretty much any type of Attack.

Also, Library counters Militia far more effectively than Tunnel counters Spy. Why include the latter but not the former?

I'm not disagreeing with these points at all, I was initially only looking at purely defensive cards, then it kind of turned into a 'reaction cards that help take the sting out of being attacked' kind of deal, + Lighthouse, as it is pretty much the ultimate defense (you can't even choose to be attacked when you have it out, unlike Moat).

Obviously these decisions are ultimately up to Chris.

I think we can come up with any number of cards that could be considered defensive if we eliminate some hard boundaries, couldn't we?

Venture straight up ignores everything in between it and more money, which is pretty good in a curse game, but I don't think most would consider it a defensive card.

I think I would limit it to things that do not take an action to perform necessarily - with the obvious exception of Lighthouse - if I were coding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:
All attacks either are prevented or hedged by Moat, Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, and Horse Traders. Therefore I will omit them from this list and only include further cards that could benefit the reactor when the attack is played. Obviously these decisions are ultimately up to Chris.

Ok. Here's what I've done. First off, thank you to Mike for making the list. I used your most up to date edit. I felt it was best to keep the reaction cards pool to just the cards ear-marked as Reaction - the one exception was Lighthouse...I've never played Seaside and that's a cool card.

If you choose the "Provide Reaction card(s) if there is at least one Attack card" option, it will randomly pick a Reaction card from your selected sets.

If you choose the "Smart Reaction Cards" it will pick one reaction cards from the selected card sets based on Mike's table. The script will check to see if an attack card is present, build an array of valid reactions to that attack, and verify a valid reaction doesn't already exist in the randomly selected card.

If the card isn't already selected, the script randomly snags a valid reaction card for the attack and pops it onto the final selected tableau.

The valid reaction cards scale up properly too. So if your cardset has Militia and Noble Brigand, the reaction set will include the appropriate reaction cards for Noble Brigand.

I hope this does what you wanted!

hansbro wrote:
This is the best thing since sliced bread. Any plans of adding Dark Ages soon?After I create the off-line version I would like to add a few more cards: some 14 Fan downloads that I really like and incorporated into my standard sets. Any clue as to what would be the best way?

Thanks! Once Dark Ages is released, the card scans made available, and the manual read you can expect it to be updated.

As for adding your custom cards, it's relatively easy. The file card_data.js contains all the information on the cards and pre-generated sets. You can use notepad, notepad++, or any decent text editor to work on it. The data is loaded into an array of objects. You just need to follow the template below

157 : { id: 157, set: 'hinterlands', name: 'Tunnel', cost: 5, type: 'Reaction'},

So, your custom sets would be entered like:

158 : { id: 158, set: 'custom', name: 'Custom Card 1', cost: 5, type: 'Action'},
172 : { id: 172, set: 'custom', name: 'Custom Card 14', cost: 3, type: 'Attack'}

It's important to note that the last card entry MUST NOT have a comma after the }

I modified the offline version to search for custom sets. Just check mark the "Custom Set" and the script will grab any card that has a "set" value of "custom". A card border will display and it will fill in the pertinent details in text.

I just added this feature, so if you have already downloaded the offline version, I'd suggest you download it again to ensure you have the latest version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, cool beans, glad I could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m
msg tools
I have a general question. One thing I have seen in app versions of card pickers but not any web based pickers is the ability to replace individual cards from a set. Is it not possible to implement something like that? As I prefer the functionality of both Hiwiller's and your randomizer, but wish they could have that feature.
Looking forward to using this with Dark Ages when I get my copy. Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI-
Just got a Pirate Ship / Trader game with smart reactions on. But the other dozen or so tests looked correct.

EDIT: second thought, I didn't see if lighthouse was in the setup. Might have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
USMasters wrote:
I have a general question. One thing I have seen in app versions of card pickers but not any web based pickers is the ability to replace individual cards from a set. Is it not possible to implement something like that?
Thanks!

The offline version of my card picker would suit your needs. All of the card data is stored in a text file named "card_data.js". You can edit it with notepad, notepad++ or any other decent text editor.

This would enable you to replace any of the cards. I've also setup a "Custom" card option. I've detailed its operation in my response to Hans Broersen above. I've added a "readme.txt" to the offline version that details the custom set feature.

As for why it doesn't exist on web based generators? Likely due to i/o, storage options and security concerns. Once you allow user input, you have to make sure it's not going to break things, and without implementing an account option, there's no permanent way to store your options, which means you'd have to input them every time visit.

pinkymadigan wrote:
Just got a Pirate Ship / Trader game with smart reactions on. But the other dozen or so tests looked correct.
Hmm. I think I know how that happened.

The possible "smart" reactions for Pirate Ship are moat, secret chamber, lighthouse, horse traders, and tunnel.

Now, if Trader landed in the initial card selection, the script doesn't check to see if it's there; it only looks for valid reaction cards. However, it will see Pirate Ship and replace the last card of the final 10 card set with an appropriate reaction.

So, it's possible to have a final card set with multiple reactions, but with the "Smart" option enabled, you'll always get 1 appropriate reaction card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, nice randomizer. I like Hiwiller's, so this one seems nice. Noticed 2 bugs for the web based one:

Doesn't always put the cards in correct order when using the sort by cost option(default hiwiller). ie. 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 3, 5, etc...

Funny Bane card bugs: including a bane when y. witch not present. Including cards that shouldn't be bane cards ie. Familiar

One option you should include that Hiwiller never pulled off is the alchemy recommended 3-5. His ALWAYS uses alchemy if you check the 3-5 box. Would be nice to have it pick 2-4 more Alchemy cards if one was picked randomly and include 0 if 0 were picked.

Edit: now I can't get it to reproduce the "cost order bug" or "bane w/o y witch bug". It does think potion cards can be bane cards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
frog213 wrote:
One option you should include that Hiwiller never pulled off is the alchemy recommended 3-5. His ALWAYS uses alchemy if you check the 3-5 box. Would be nice to have it pick 2-4 more Alchemy cards if one was picked randomly and include 0 if 0 were picked.

I'll see what I can do.
frog213 wrote:
It does think potion cards can be bane cards though.
They can't? I checked the rules and I didn't see anything preventing potion cards from part of the bane pile. But I've certainly been wrong before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
cgrd wrote:
frog213 wrote:
It does think potion cards can be bane cards though.
They can't? I checked the rules and I didn't see anything preventing potion cards from part of the bane pile. But I've certainly been wrong before

Any card with potion in the cost, costs diffrent than a card without a potion in the cost. So a card with potion in the cost can't be equal to a two or three coin cost card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
bryanldoughty wrote:
Any card with potion in the cost, costs diffrent than a card without a potion in the cost. So a card with potion in the cost can't be equal to a two or three coin cost card.
Ok! Thank you for the clarification. I've updated the script so Potion cards are now exempted from the Bane card selection logic.

This required an update to the card data, so you may have to clear out your browser cache for it to update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
The Card Picker has now been updated with the Dark Ages set, and more:

* Dark Ages cardset added, with Rio Grande suggested sets in the pregen menu
* Tableau Indicates if it's a Regular, Colony, Shelter, or Looter game
* If Alchemy is selected, the selected cards are forced to have 3-5 Alchemy selections, as per the rulebook
* Random Alchemy option added - all alchemy cards will go into the mix, generating varying Alchemy cards in the Tableau
* Custom made "Knights" card :-)
* General code improvement to make things even faster!

The "Smart Reaction Cards" rules have not been updated to reflect changes in Dark Ages. I unfortunately do not have the expansion, which means I haven't played with DA's Reaction cards to determine their usefulness. I'd welcome feedback and will happily update the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like the fact that you can't choose not to use the Alchemy suggestion. That means I won't use this. Nice work otherwise. You should not the Alchemy is a suggestion and not a requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Rick. That's the way my generator used to work. I realized I neglected to option it back in, so that's been fixed!

Check mark the "Radomize Alchemy Selection" option and it will throw all the Alchemy cards in the mix, resulting in a random number of cards from the Alchemy set and disable the 3-5 requirement.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really good news. I always liked your creation but I never use the 3 Alchemy suggestion. I think there's more strategy without it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Douglas
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
Alright, I've received some feedback regarding Alchemy cards...a hot topic! :-)

I've updated the Card Picker to use a full random selection by default.

There's an option you can select called "3-5 Alchemy Card game" that will force 3-5 randomly selected Alchemy cards first, then generate the remaining Kingdom from the other selected sets.

I hope that's an acceptable compromise for all.

Thanks,
Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.