Subject: Balancing the 1ed Base Game by Modular Elements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about mixing and matching 1ed expansion and 2ed base elements for more fun without upsetting balance, especially since my expansion figures are sad.

Assuming 1ed Base was approximately 58-42 Shadow winning %, 1ed Expansion was 49-51 (but with swing-y things like Smeagol), and 2ed Base is approximately 52-48 (maybe Veldrin knows better with his ladder results, or maybe the designers have actual playtesting results?), how much do you think each element of the 1ed expansion and 2ed base contributed to game balance? Not looking for something completely scientific (though it'd be nice!), just your impression on the relative magnitude of each element/change.

Here's my impression, for example.

1ed Expansion
Galadriel:
Ents
Siege Towers / Catapults
Smeagol
Balrog + Dunlendings:

3.0 %pt
2.5 %pt
3.0 %pt
1.0 %pt (certainly makes it a lot more swing-y!)
-0.5 %pt

Total: 9.0 %pt

2ed Base
Gandalf card-draw:
WK change
Min. 1 eye if FSP moved:
Declare in Mordor while revealed:
Extra Elite in Erebor:
Card changes:

less than 0.5 %pt
2.0 %pt
0.5 %pt
2.0 %pt
1.0 %pt
less than 0.5 %pt

Total: 5.5 %pt (not 6.0 %pt due to co-variance effects, like old WK's drawing ability better complementing screwing over FSP by forcing Mordor reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of this exercise is to get a sense of, for example, if I want to bring Ents back into 2ed, what elements do I have to remove from 2ed to maintain balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David

I think you could try playing 2ed+ Expansion with Galadriel and the Balrog not providing an additional die.

If you do, let me know how it works!

With Lords of Middle-earth, everything will change of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! That sounds like a good plan.

Would love to have the Ents and Dunlendings back too though, since Galadriel and Balrog are already in Lords of Middle-Earth. I miss the Ents and Dunlendings and somewhat for Corsairs and Siege (just the minis, not their gameplay).

I guess a couple of cards refer to Siege/Catapult in Combat Card ability, but can just treat the Combat ability as blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely want to have all these factions, their cool minis, and more factions, back with the next expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.