David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched a few of the shows and feel that they are geared towards a mature audience due to the sensual nature of the episodes? I regularly play with a group of teens ages 11-16. Does the game contain inappropriate content for that age range in terms of graphics or text? Considering purchasing this game, but want to make sure it's okay before I do. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be fine. None of the sexy parts of the TV show made it into the board game. There are some implications with character abilities, such as Caprica Six's Intimate or Ellen Tigh's Politically Adroit, but those characters are only in the expansion, and I'd still consider that fine for children because it's open to interpretation.

I would add, however, that death, loss, and sacrifice are central themes for the show and the board game, and if you don't want to expose children to some of those themes, then you may want to play a few games with your adult friends before you deem it okay. I personally wouldn't have problems with playing this game with a ten year old kid (if I had one), but everybody parents differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The content of the game is not for mature eyes only. The cards have images from the show and some flavor text. The board also has images. You can search the images to get examples of what the cards look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl A.
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ditto the above.
Survival theme aside and just talking about the pictures, the worst one I can remember is the "Guilt by Collusion" Crisis Card, where Chief grimaces on the floor after being punched. Should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
The game components themselves are totally safe for that age range (there might be a "frak" or two somewhere in the flavour text). Lying, accusation, and betrayal do tend to be common in the game, so it may be appropriate to discuss that some behaviors acceptable within the game are not so much appropriate outside of it. The game loses a lot of it's edge if you try to stick to the "if you can't say anything nice" principle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
The game loses a lot of it's edge if you try to stick to the "if you can't say anything nice" principle...

"I think you're the nicest Cylon I've ever met." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mille1212 wrote:
I've watched a few of the shows and feel that they are geared towards a mature audience due to the sensual nature of the episodes?

Not sure if you made it into the actual series or just saw the min-series. I thought they toned down the regular series quite a bit from the first episodes. YMMV.

Regardless, I think the game is fine for the audience you are looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think your kids can handle the grim "end of humanity" theme of the show, then the game's about the same. And yeah, it may be against their nature to lie and manipulate, like a good cylon would, so do let them know that's what the game's about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The expansions may be a little more questionable. Both introduce an execution mechanic. One of the characters has an ability called discharge of a firearm that lets her execute a character and another has a drawback that is either called suicide or directly implies it (can't remember which). I don't think it is anything someone that age can't handle, but you should be aware of it all the same.
The base game is completely fine to my recollection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy wrote:
The expansions may be a little more questionable. Both introduce an execution mechanic. One of the characters has an ability called discharge of a firearm that lets her execute a character and another has a drawback that is either called suicide or directly implies it (can't remember which). I don't think it is anything someone that age can't handle, but you should be aware of it all the same.

I believe it's something like "Emotionally Fragile," and it only implies suicide. "When X happens, you are executed," not "when X happens, you commit suicide."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and give the base game a try. Now off to Geekbay I go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definately play with 5 players since this guarentees 2 cylons in the mix (less means 1 player may feel picked on, or could end up losing the game by themselves) and it means more room for players to suggest ideas, since in a 3 player game, 1 player may dominate the discussion.

Starting with BSG Express is a very good start point, since it abstracts out the losing by resources issue.
(It does have player morale with uses a fist symbol which may get refered to as "Fisting" as in "Frak, David just fisted me" which could be an entirely different problem)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGBuster wrote:
Ditto the above.
Survival theme aside and just talking about the pictures, the worst one I can remember is the "Guilt by Collusion" Crisis Card, where Chief grimaces on the floor after being punched. Should be fine.

A couple of the reveals are also questionable for violence or its aftermath...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true. The Aaron Doral reveal is essentially a suicide bombing, but again, that's implied rather than explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
That's true. The Aaron Doral reveal is essentially a suicide bombing, but again, that's implied rather than explicit.

The Sickbay reveal is someone with blood and a bandage on their face pointing a gun at you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
O and forgot to mention, the game can go anywhere from 2-5 hours with it typically taking 3-4 hrs. That is potentially looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong for the younger players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
O and forgot to mention, the game can go anywhere from 2-5 hours with it typically taking 3-4 hrs. That is potentially looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong for the younger players.
Although it's worth noting, many of these reasons about BSG being appropriate for kids can also be applied to adults as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:

I find it takes typically 2 to 2.5 hrs.
With the Exodus board it takes more like 3-4hrs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Case in point: my friend had his step son join us one time. The kid was 15-16. We played and were at about 7 distance. The kid decides that he wants to leave. Game over: 2+ hours wasted.

We found that he was also playing suspiciously and sabotaging for no reason (both cards were "not a Cylon")

We only play with adults now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soiledshortz wrote:
Case in point: my friend had his step son join us one time. The kid was 15-16. We played and were at about 7 distance. The kid decides that he wants to leave. Game over: 2+ hours wasted.

We found that he was also playing suspiciously and sabotaging for no reason (both cards were "not a Cylon")

We only play with adults now...

Yeah, you don't want to play a ~3 hour game with someone who lacks the patience to play it out, and the maturity to treat the game seriously rather than seeing what they can get away with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
j0frenzy wrote:

I believe it's something like "Emotionally Fragile," and it only implies suicide. "When X happens, you are executed," not "when X happens, you commit suicide."

Whoops. Misremembered it. I don't play with [character] often and I've never actually seen the drawback go off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the teens regularly play hobby boardgames together, it should work just fine. They may do even better with the trash table talk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

I find it takes typically 2 to 2.5 hrs.
With the Exodus board it takes more like 3-4hrs

Our group spends a good extra 30 minutes accusing each other and defending it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Willis
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested this yesterday with my 9-year-old son and our immediate family (who wouldn't mind if we had to end it early). There is a big difference between a 9-year-old and a teenager but maybe this would be a helpful response to other people interested in this topic? Another note is that my son is very bright but also very sensitive.

It helped that he has seen the first three or four episodes of the TV series (although we quickly put a stop to it when we discovered it was becoming far too adult). That meant that he understood the theme well and knew most of the characters, and picked up the rules quickly.

My son handled the mechanics brilliantly. In fact he played so well (as a human) that I (as an unrevealed cylon) brigged him several times. (We played the base game with no expansions.)

The problem, we discovered, was that he wasn't able to handle the emotional aspects of gameplay very well. Granted - I treated him as an adult player, and unfortunately because of how the game played out, it was him that I picked on. The combination of frustration from being in the brig (therefore not being able to do much gameplay-wise, especially flying around in a viper which he had really been looking forward to) and not being believed when he was telling the truth caused him to burst into tears. I felt so guilty, I got him out of the brig on my next turn, but this meant we had to change our gameplay to accommodate him.

The other issue was that he struggled to discern between the character and the person playing it. This was despite the fact that we talked to him about this topic beforehand. He was nice to me, because I was "Mum" and assumed I would never play against him - and then when I did, he found it hurtful.

We learned that while he can understand it easily, he didn't have the emotional maturity. In retrospect, I should have been easier on him. I would play it with him again, but in a way that accommodates him, and not in a serious competitive game.

Regarding length of gameplay, we had no problems - he loves board games so didn't lose interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've hit a great example of when to play "full co-op" mode, and just fight the crisis deck .

Add in a random super crisis after the sleeper phase, and another one after you jump to distance 8+. But everyone plays as human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.