Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small» Forums » General

Subject: What's your first action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Forrest Wang
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your first action? "RSW" or "1 pasture & extra filed" or anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lean toward RSW as P1, because of the building flexibility/blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on whether I am first player - wood (to begin building fences/troughs) or RSW & 2-stone prior to building the first stall. I think you have to spend a couple of turns developing space before grabbing animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I go for an early wood/stone, use all of them to a single pasture with 3 fences and collect my 1st horse on turn 1. This enables me to grab a 2nd horse next turn(instead of letting the space fill with sheep) and start breeding them early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
We're pretty aggressive about the expansions. They're all gone by round 4 and it's a matter of both of us getting 2 of them, or one of us getting 3 and the other only 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent M
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it for the first time yesterday: my first move was RSW; though getting lots of wood pieces fast makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Wang
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
We're pretty aggressive about the expansions. They're all gone by round 4 and it's a matter of both of us getting 2 of them, or one of us getting 3 and the other only 1.

Me too. After several games, I prefer Expansion to RSW or 3W.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know the logic behind taking Expansion. My Agricola smarts say that if you're not going to use the expansion space in Round One, there's no point taking it yet.

3W seems to be our solid opener, mostly because there is flexibility with what can be done with it on your third action, when there's not much for the taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I'd like to know the logic behind taking Expansion. My Agricola smarts say that if you're not going to use the expansion space in Round One, there's no point taking it yet.

3W seems to be our solid opener, mostly because there is flexibility with what can be done with it on your third action, when there's not much for the taking.

3W is my #2 choice. I've never taken expansion, or seen it taken, on the first round - much less with the first action. Hm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

My guess is that it's worth 4 points if completely filled, and the earlier you get it the earlier you can start working on it. Your starting board is only 6 spaces big with 1 being used, which is equivalent to having 2 expansion tiles. Assuming you're not into building on turn 1 (only collect resources) it's not a bad choice to grab the expansion tile on turn 1 and start using it ASAP instead of your board. Any buildings built on your own board is technically a "waste" that could be used for the additional 4 points. Another point to consider is that grabbing it on turn 1 makes the space equal in value on turn 2, as oppose to having 2 fence that might seem more attractive to your opponent + assuming you have 2 expansion tiles by turn 2 your placement of fences/buildings can be more versatile earlier into the game, and less tension for you if you want to have 3 expansion tiles as even if the other player secured 1 next turn there's still 1 more left.

That is all in theory however, as I myself have not try this tactic before, but am eager to
will update more info once I can get a game or 2 with this starting action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first player, I'm convinced the best move is:

#1: Reed Wood Stone
#2: 2 Stone
...now you're set up to build a stall.

Player #2 sets the pacing of the game. They can:
#1: Take the 2 Stone, blocking the other player placing a stall in turn 1
or
#1: 3 Wood
#2 either Horse or Cow.
#3: Feeding Trough for future pasture
or
#1: 3 Wood
#2: Expansion, with a goal of grabbing 3 expansions instead of just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:

The logic behind this lies in the fact that you might want to take actions in the first round from non-accumulating action spaces. After all, you just have 24 actions total in the game, and sometimes you just get more if you let stuff in the oven for a couple more rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
But the Expansion space is an accumulation space...

Frankly, I don't want to be gambling on picking up 6 Wood or 4 Stone when there is a distinct possibility of my opponent taking the start player and getting to it first. This ain't no solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what he meant is that although the expansion space is accumulative, only the fences are while the expansion tiles are not.

I think it's a similar logic with going for cows/horses. For those animals, you want to grab them early to start breeding since they're worth more and harder to come by. For the fences, grabbing an Expansion tile early so you can

a) start building early on it
b) gain access to your 2nd expansion tile earlier and maybe even 3
c) put pressure on your opponent.

It's scary when you see your opponent grabbed 2 expansion tiles when you have none, since you're not sure when or whether he would go for a 3rd 1 and leave you with 1/no ET and less space. This is especially true if you grabbed some wood and built pastures, meaning even FEWER spaces. Even if you're content with only 2 ET, your opponent doesn't know that and might be tempted to go for the ET before you with 1st player, effectively giving you "1st player" for resources.

but hey, every 1 is entitled their preferred strategy, and all of them are equally viable which is 1 of the beauty of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to take at least one expansion early so I can start populating it as soon as possible. The accumulating fence piece seems pretty much irrelevant to me, as I often finish the game with an extra fence or two that I cannot afford to lay down anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Sievers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played two games and seem to run out of free space early as I don't take the expansion till later in the game. There are some great ideas in this thread. I can see how expanding early can give you more space quickly. Also when player two then tries to catch up it would free up the stone and wood.

I guess I was thinking of Agricola opening moves in playing this game, need to change my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.