Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Countryside, my nursing home of 109 people in Anderson Indiana, has Yahtzee, Big Trouble and a deck of UNO as it's only games. They play these weekly and wish they had other games to play. Is there a way to get a senior rights groups to donate cool games and save them from their misery? Is there certain companies that might make a generous donation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful opportunity! The Hot Deals forum is for people helping others find good discounts on games though, so you would probably have better luck in a different forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hunt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stephen and Dave, hosts of The Spiel podcast(thespiel.net), have a foundation that donates games to hospitals and nursing homes- and they are based in Indianapolis. Contact them and see what they can do-Spiel On!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try contacting Funagain Games about their grant program to see if your nursing home qualifies.

http://www.funagain.com/control/rc?p=grants&fromrd=28832

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give you some games if you pay for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I'll give you some games if you pay for shipping.

As will I. Might be worth shooting out emails to all the big online e-tailers seeing if they are willing to donate a game or two or store credit so you can pick some senior friendly games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuff like this always puzzles me. Nursing homes cost thousands of dollars per person per month. You would think they would have enough room in their budget to drop $200 at Coolstuff to make their residents happy. Maybe tell them to join together to make that request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm willing to risk sounding curmudgeonly by asking how is this a hot deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad is 76 and loves yahtzee free for all and ticket to ride as well as memoir 44. get those for the codgers.
Do they have a wii? when my dad was in rehab last year, the old folks went nuts for wii bowling.

I agree it doesn't belong here, but it seems as good a place as any to attract some interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Wii used for physical fitness at a nursing home. However, that's more expensive than average board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtree wrote:
Stephen and Dave, hosts of The Spiel podcast(thespiel.net), have a foundation that donates games to hospitals and nursing homes- and they are based in Indianapolis. Contact them and see what they can do-Spiel On!

http://thespielfoundation.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply dumping a box of unknown games on them may not help. Unless they will actively take on the role of learning and coaching, your box of games will stay in the corner, whilst they go on playing what they know.

People like what they know. They don't like learning, especially new stuff. That's why they go on playing Monopoly, because they know how it works.

Start by taking in a few games yourself on a regular basis. Get some people playing who are prepared to coach others. Then get two or three of those games donated, and start bringing in a few more new ones. After they get to about a dozen, they might be happy to stop there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
mrtree wrote:

http://thespielfoundation.com/

I know there is a Leonardo Da Vinci joke here somewhere...wait it's no longer on sale at CSI.

Joking aside, I'll second the spielfoundtation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Recommended Accessible Games For Nursing Homes That Make Good Gateway Games to Modern/Euro Strategy Games

Three Recommended Accessible Games For Nursing Homes That Make Good Gateway Games to Modern/Euro Strategy Games

1. Qwirkle: It's similar enough to Dominoes to make it more accessibly learnable.

2. Take it Easy!: It's similar enough to some of the mechanics of Bingo to make it more accessibly learnable.

3. Carcassonne: It's similar enough to putting together puzzles to make it more accessibly learnable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hoover
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

1. Qwirkle: It's similar enough to Dominoes to make it more accessibly learnable.

2. Take it Easy!: It's similar enough to some of the mechanics of Bingo to make it more accessibly learnable.

3. Carcassonne: It's similar enough to putting together puzzles to make it more accessibly learnable.

thumbsup for making your text large enough for the nursing home folks to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bimm wrote:
Stuff like this always puzzles me. Nursing homes cost thousands of dollars per person per month. You would think they would have enough room in their budget to drop $200 at Coolstuff to make their residents happy. Maybe tell them to join together to make that request.
Probably because they don't know that there are other games. Maybe because they think they don't need more? I mean the residents are already playing what they've got all the time. That must mean they really like those games, right?

Anyway. If I'm ever going to live in a home I'll be taking my games collection with me and teach those suckers Battlestar Galactica, Eclipse, Agricola and all the other long games that I did get to play enough before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

One word of caution: While I like Qwirkle and agree that it's fairly easily accessible to non-gamers, some of the colours are quite hard to tell apart for people with suboptimal eyesight or when the light isn't that great. I know one person (and she's only 60) who always has problems telling red and orange apart, and also one other pair (not sure about that, probably was blue or purple).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Simply dumping a box of unknown games on them may not help. Unless they will actively take on the role of learning and coaching, your box of games will stay in the corner, whilst they go on playing what they know.

People like what they know. They don't like learning, especially new stuff. That's why they go on playing Monopoly, because they know how it works.

Start by taking in a few games yourself on a regular basis. Get some people playing who are prepared to coach others. Then get two or three of those games donated, and start bringing in a few more new ones. After they get to about a dozen, they might be happy to stop there.

This sounds like EXCELLENT advice all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sooo much to everyone who contributed to this post!!!!

I'm going to begin writing a letter to the Spiel Foundation and Funagain Games to try to earn game money for our building. We are a poor building that doesn't have enough census to splurge on new games.

That is very generous of you who offered to donate your games! It's true though, there are only a distinct number of games that would work. Poor eye site and certain stages of dementia can hinder our residents from playing the cool-mega games we're used to. I'd hate to take games away that we wouldn't use.

I'm wanting to get a visually impaired deck of cards, No Thanks! and Coloretto. I would love to introduce them to Get Bit!, Incan Gold, Quirkle, Can't Stop and Tsuro. I'm looking for crazy-simple games that are still super-fun and addictive!

Thanks again everyone for all your help! I've enjoyed every post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd teach 'em The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.