Subject: thematic or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Wingrove
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody tell me why Eclipse keeps going from No.1 BGG ranked thematic game to not having a thematic rank at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game's Information under Subdomain, click on vote, then click on results. Whether or not a game shows up in a subdomain depends on the percentage of votes for that subdomain. Compare Eclipse with Mage Knight Board Game. Eclipse has Thematic at 29.5% and Strategy at 68.2%, and only shows up in the Strategy listings at the moment. Mage Knight has Thematic at 45.8% and Strategy at 54.2%, and shows up in both. My guess is the threshold for making the list is around 30% of the votes. As the votes change Eclipse appears and disappears from the Thematic listings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cut-off is 30%, then a few votes could make it go from #1 Thematic, to not in the Thematic subdomain.
I wonder if we can start a campaign to get it to the #1 Party and #1 Family games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrRednek wrote:
If the cut-off is 30%, then a few votes could make it go from #1 Thematic, to not in the Thematic subdomain.
I wonder if we can start a campaign to get it to the #1 Party and #1 Family games?

By using advanced Eridani and Orion tech I bet you could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
BaseTwelve wrote:
In the game's Information under Subdomain, click on vote, then click on results. Whether or not a game shows up in a subdomain depends on the percentage of votes for that subdomain. Compare Eclipse with Mage Knight Board Game. Eclipse has Thematic at 29.5% and Strategy at 68.2%, and only shows up in the Strategy listings at the moment. Mage Knight has Thematic at 45.8% and Strategy at 54.2%, and shows up in both. My guess is the threshold for making the list is around 30% of the votes. As the votes change Eclipse appears and disappears from the Thematic listings.

That may explain how a title gets into a category but how is the score then calculated to place it in the category? For example Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is #2 in the Strategy category but only #3 overall while Agricola is #2 overall but only #3 in the Strategy category. This while Eclipse goes from #1 to non-existent? Higher math? Voodoo? Might there be something better?

Shouldn't the number of votes mean something? Going back to the Mage Knight Board Game example, twice as many people voted to place Eclipse in the Thematic category as did vote for the other title but as the smaller number was a bigger percentage that carries the day? I think the sub-domain categories should get the same treatment as do the overall rankings, or at least close to the same, or the results are meaningless. The poll should ask for a number (1-10) in the category you think best applies and it doesn't have to be the same as your overall rating. Either that or list the sub-domains but don't number rank them if they can't be more accurate. I'm just saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Higher math? Voodoo? Might there be something better?

Voodoo.

This actually gets discussed quite a bit, so you're not alone in your wondering. Take a search through the BGG General forum and you'll find lots of discussions about the rankings and subdomains. For example, this recent thread claims that for a vote to count in the subdomain rankings, that user must have rated other games in that subdomain, whereas all votes are considered in the main rankings. Also that the subdomain rankings get a different number of dummy votes added as a result of this disparity in vote count. Finally, it's worth noting that the exact ranking algorithm is intentionally kept secret to stop people from gaming the system. You're welcome to suggest adjustments or alternatives, but good luck finding out the exact voodoo being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
DrRednek wrote:

Or, if everyone actually used the system correctly and honestly instead of screwing around with it, we could actually have game rankings that reflect reality and help people make informed decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
[...]we could actually have game rankings that reflect reality[...]

The reality of an aggregate of subjective, fluctuating opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
DrRednek wrote:

Or, if everyone actually used the system correctly and honestly instead of screwing around with it, we could actually have game rankings that reflect reality and help people make informed decisions.

Agreed!

Also, to the poster you quoted: I don't think there is any hard cut-off %. It seems to me that if one subdomain has at least twice the amount of votes than the next, the game will be listed in just one category. If the difference is less it will be listed in two categories.

The ranking within The subcategories has nothing to do with the definition of that category. I suspect it's just based on the overall ranking but shows only the games that are listed in that category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
The ranking within The subcategories has nothing to do with the definition of that category. I suspect it's just based on the overall ranking but shows only the games that are listed in that category.

As I understand it, it reflects the overall ranking, but with a lower number of ghost votes. So a game with few, but high, ratings is going to be represented better in the specific category than in the overall rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.