Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

heya,

Me and my friends love Robo Rally and I'd like to surprise them by making a 2 or 3 level high gaming board giving the game a unique 3d feeling.

The goal with the project is to create three different maps. each maps shall have flag points to touch and then you'll need to continue down through the exit to the next level snd finaly touch the last flag on the ground floor.

since the three different levels aresupported by pillars, what recomendations you with better craftman skill then my own got for materials for the pillars? they need to support the maps + the weight of 6-7 plastic minis and needs to separate the maps high enough so its practical to play on.

Any help or suggestions are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden blocks? From any store's Toy Dept, can be had cheap. Square, round, triangular. I got a bunch for our D&D boards to use as pillars, bridge supports, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to say PVC pipe would work, but it will be too tippy - depending on how high you want to make - it without additional work. 1-1/4" or 2" should work for shortish sections with nothing attached, and can be had cheap and cut easily. If you don't own a saw, you can use mason's twine to cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Meaker and Trojan,

I migh think it wouldbe possible to do both ideas with a twist.
By using 4 pillars, one for each corner of the map obviously, and attach a base for it (hopefully a base that covers only one tile on the lowest map on each corner). Then find some holder that i can drill on to the pillar for stability for each section. This should solve a couple of things, mainly ease up the transportation of the whole thing and assembly.

But it'd would require making holes in the custom maps so leaving me with less tiles per map to game on

Will try to find materials over the next couple of weeks and experiment with what works best.

Thanks so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just use a cake stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or re-purpose a 3D Chess board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

I actually thought about this in the early stages of the idea but sadly the typical raumschach (spelling?) board Isnt obtainable in my neck of the woods (Oslo, Norway) and The ones I've found online isnt cheap. If you can direct me to a bargain I'd be delighted

About cake stands - what type are you talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Awesome wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I actually thought about this in the early stages of the idea but sadly the typical raumschach (spelling?) board Isnt obtainable in my neck of the woods (Oslo, Norway) and The ones I've found online isnt cheap. If you can direct me to a bargain I'd be delighted

Well, they are multi-tier doodads, not unlike a 3D chess board. They do tend to have the level stacked immediately above each other so that might restrict access and many have a single pole up through the middle, which wouldn't help. Try this for an example of a better design http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acrylic-Wedding-Favour-Cupcake-Class...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Awesome
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Alex Awesome wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Well, they are multi-tier doodads, not unlike a 3D chess board. They do tend to have the level stacked immediately above each other so that might restrict access and many have a single pole up through the middle, which wouldn't help. Try this for an example of a better design http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acrylic-Wedding-Favour-Cupcake-Class...

Iiiinteresting, I'll have to grab one of those! It will most likely not work out for this particular project, but 'tis a good find to fiddle around with for something completely different. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like the chess board idea, to set your normally made boards on. These are just a couple quick google search pics to get the idea. Wide range of stack-able shelves, drying racks, or small shelf units. Maybe some plastic or kids version if you really want lightness.

fold up-

If you are really worried about strength/stability (how enthusiastic are you when you play? )-

If you are a builder, you can make a version of either of the above. The part you really need to worry about the strength of is the 'boards' or the shelves, if you decide to make them separate.

The first style could be made with foam core and tape hinges, probably double up the thickness. Some very simple wood working gets you up to plywood and metal hinges.

The second is some form of shelves/boards and posts. And well, there are a number of ways to go. Could be 4 separate posts for each level with velcro or magnets. About any material would be strong enough, its more how stable it would be. This is what I first thought of when someone mentioned cake:

The next idea up would be to make a 'shelf' unit that disassembles, lots and lots of different ways to do that, from beginner on up.

Or maybe something like this (with a little different proportions)to set the boards on:

Failry easy stick, drill and saw project there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.