Subject: Looking for a new game with something UNIQUE feeling to it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janel C

El Mirage
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a new game and want something that feels different and new. We really had fun with the dice elements of alien frontiers and something like that with a bit different aspects to the typical euro is appreciated. Overall, my game closet is starting to feel boring as it's beginning to feel the same!!

Here's what I own:
- Puerto Rico - We play this one a lot
- Agricola
- Chinatown - a favorite
- Settlers - never play.. too entry level for us now
- Carcassone - I'm not a huge fan but we do play it some
- Ticket to Ride - Another we don't play often as it feels entry level
- Alien Frontiers
- Stone Age
- Dominion - We like, but too solitary
- Power Grid
- Pandemic - Used to play a ton but our friend doesn't like co-op so doesn't see the table much anymore, we liked this one though
- Arkham Horror -- Played twice.. too many rules to introduce to new players
- Shadow Hunters - We like this with 5+ and very short games are nice

I want something that has:
- Unique elements
- Interaction
- Not longer than 2 hours tops, preferably under 90 mins
- 5-6 players or more is a plus, but not necessary
- Not overkill in rules and extremely hard to teach but not overly simple either in play/strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the new edition of Evo its got some euro-style conflict, an interesting auction mechanism and visually pleasing too.

Fortuna is a game I like, never have enough actions to do everything you like in a turn. Not a difficult game to learn but there are a variety of strategies to win with.

Dungeon Petz is a complex worker placement about breeding, exhibiting & selling pet monsters that does take about half an hour to explain the rules BUT due to the fact that all the rules tie in thematically very well it's quite easy to remember them all. Also the rule book is a pleasure to read, it is written in a humor manner that enhances understanding instead of getting in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a few to look at and consider:

Village

The Manhattan Project

Belfort

Clicking on the links will give you better info than any overview I could write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter will spice things up for sure. Meets all of your criteria.

Base game plays 3-5, needs expansions to go more than 5 players but 5 is a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take a look at Macao.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people have commented that Seasons has quite a unique feel. It's got lots of interaction, big unique dice, and looks gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fanorona is a game with a very unique capture mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefan Feld has done a number of games with new mechanisms or interesting twists on existing ones. In the Year of the Dragon in particular has a different feel from any other game I've played and fits most of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is a nice little treasure-hunting game usually seems to fill the "something a bit different" gap. it has a maximum of four players though.

Ave Caesar is a simple-yet-cutthroat game of Roman chariot racing.

Bohnanza looks sufficiently different to what you've got already.

Likewise the Dixit family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Small World
Belfort

Dixit

Manhattan Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

You might find the mechanics of the game "entry level" but it's highly interactive and for sheer fun it can't be beat! So far everyone I have played it with has loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza - It is very beginner friendly but also quite interactive so I think you might want to take a look at it. It's an almost pure negotiation game.

Hanabi - A unique twist on co-op games. Pretty simple to learn but quite challenging to play. Suffers less from the alpha player syndrome because no player has all the information.

Get Bit! - A bluffing game in it's purest form.

The Resistance (5-10) - A great social deduction game of figuring out who the traitors are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janel_marie wrote:

I want something that has:
- Unique elements
- Interaction
- Not longer than 2 hours tops, preferably under 90 mins
- 5-6 players or more is a plus, but not necessary
- Not overkill in rules and extremely hard to teach but not overly simple either in play/strategy

Judging by what you listed there as requirements/desires, you want to buy The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Roos
United States
Guilderland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe 7 Wonders? But as a previous poster said Cosmic Encounter should fit all your requirements as well.

7 Wonders is easy to teach, the only mechanic is take a card and pass the hand. Plays in 30-45 minutes a game. Plays up to 7. It's easy to learn but there is a lot of strategy underneath the easy rules and there is a good amount of direct and indirect interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to add the zing of a racing game to the mix.

I highly recommend Powerboats to fill the void. Unique dice, fun game.

I also like the recommendations for Evo, Tobago.

For something even a bit lighter for your group try Dice Town or Ave Caesar.

Perudo (which is a dice game) is also different and fun for a group!

Yspahan also has some similarity to Alien Frontiers in dice play ... but I think may do it even better. You might want to check that out too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Resistance, then raise it
Wings of War: Famous Aces.

This fully expandable WWI air combat game has some seriously new elements for you, unique, special, expandable to campaigns, minis, etc. It's also a TEAM GAME which will be new as well.

There is a time and a place for Euros, and when you want something new isn't it.

I love Euros because of the brain activity they generate, but for gaming fun, you can't beat Wings of War or Resistance. They're fun.

Wings of War: Famous Aces supports 2-4 but with additional Wings of War stuff... well, for example, I can currently support 16 planes in the air with damage decks, but I have enough maneuver decks for more than that. I've played with 11 at once before and that was a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janel C

El Mirage
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swedgamer wrote:
You could take a look at Macao.

This was the one I was looking at, good to see it makes a recommendation for what I'm looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Belfort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shocked that this game has not been mentioned but I'm quite confident that you will like it as much as my wife and I do ... It may be almost exactly what you are looking for.

Kingsburg ... if you can get the expansion it markedly improves an already fabulous game. Oh and it uses dice in a manner somewhat similar to Alien Frontiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express - easy to teach, hard to master, lots of interaction, plays right around an hour, plays up to 6 but best with 3 or 4...

Railways of the World - scales up to 6...depending on the number of players/cube distribution, can play up to 'bout 2 hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
The Resistance (5-10) - A great social deduction game of figuring out who the traitors are.

I think the damage aspect in Shadow Hunters is poorly implemented. The Resistance gets the deduction aspect right.

SirHandsome wrote:
Cosmic Encounter will spice things up for sure. Meets all of your criteria.

Base game plays 3-5, needs expansions to go more than 5 players but 5 is a good start.

I played 15 games at a Con last weekend and Cosmic Encounter was the best one I don't own. Tons of interaction. Lots of "Wait...what...NOOO!" moments.

iansmithksa wrote:

Worker placement with lots of screwing over people. Reprint forth coming.

I'll add, King of Tokyo. KoT is just pure fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate King of Tokyo. Play yatzee but without having to make the interesting decisions associated with yatzee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janel C

El Mirage
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm adding a bunch of these to my wishlist!

I should have mentioned my brother has quite a game collection to that we play including Belfort, In The Year of the Dragon, Belfort, Pillars of the Earth and others I can't think of the title. I also have a lot of card games so I'm not looking in that area so much (as in short card games - not deeper strategy card games).

The Resistance seems similar in style to Shadow Hunters which we have and play often (mafia style investigation game).

I think I'm going to start with Macao! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A 6 player game that is unique, AND plays in under 2 hours. That seems very difficult unless you want a really dry game.

Unique though....Wallenstein

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.