David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I am reading about this game here on BGG, it seems like the suggested minimum age should be more like 10 or 12.

As of right now, there are five votes for the minimum age. 3 people chose 8, 1 person chose 10, 1 person chose 12.

Any thoughts from those that have played this? Thanks.

I am hoping in particular for help from those who are familiar with the (admittedly somewhat subjective) "normal standards" (on BGG) of age appropriateness, and can address my question as someone knowledgeable about, and in agreement with, those "normal standards" on BGG. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game with my 10 yr old daughter and she understands and likes it. Although I've also played the game with my 5 yr old daughter and as long as I help her with the cards, she can move/roll the dice and change the numbers on the tracker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old son loves the game, I think if your child can read or be helped to understand the cards,the basic maths involved is beneficial to any child and you as a parent are comfortable with the subject matter then my age estimate would be 5 upwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Burfitt
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played with my 7yo and he had no trouble as long as I helped with parts of it.
If you want to win at all costs, then probably an older age, but if losing is OK then they can make their own decisions.
If the age means "give this game to a group of 8yo's and they can play" then I would doubt it, I suspect you need at least one older person in the mix, but it's Coop so that's not a big issue.

Is it appropriate ? hard to answer, my son has no trouble with the soldier number moving up and down, or by losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, cool stuff, it's just aaaawesome to raise kids with shrapnels, headshots, blood, tons of ammo...and even more blood!!! Can't start early enough! I need to show my 20 months-old some freaking corpses. The sooner the better!!! Yay!
Some people just shouldn't reproduce themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Yeah, cool stuff, it's just aaaawesome to raise kids with shrapnels, headshots, blood, tons of ammo...and even more blood!!! Can't start early enough! I need to show my 20 months-old some freaking corpses. The sooner the better!!! Yay!
Some people just shouldn't reproduce themselves.

I didn't realize D-Day Dice was so intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on how you tackle the subject, and how much importance/impact it has for you.

In general, this is a really abstract game. You do not even eliminate figurines, but just diminish your "soldier ressource". As such, the "war subject" has no real impact on what you do, as it is symbolized only in quite abstract terms.

The game itself is simple enough so that an 8yr-old could probably learn to play it. At least with the help of an older person/parent, and that seems to be true even for the younger ones. I myself have no experience in that matter...

However, if we talk about war theme in general and age appropriateness, this is a different kettle of fish altogether. I myself would probably not play the game with my (hopefully soon) future kids until they understand the meaning of the symbolic acts of the game (probably at around 12, maybe even older).
Then again, I am totally detached from the theme myself, do not measure the loss of any soldiers within it as anything different from spending two wood to buy a street, or somesuch. I don't care about the war, the situation, the circumstances or the so-called sacrifices in any way.
You could, of course, ascribe this to me being German (the defeated party); but then, you could not be more wrong...

On the other hand, I would, without hesitation, confront my children of any age, with nudeness. As this is not the big issue in Germany (or Europe, for that matter), when compared to the US. Pictures of nude people are, for my understanding, quite natural. Even if they are in pin-up poses (where the fact is natural, the pose is not).

There are major differences even between countries or continents, and how they treat certain subjects, and what is wholesome and what is not. How can anyone take it upon himself to declare what is appropriate or not for a family, or an individual? And sarcasm like that of magneheeli does not really help, here, and makes the commentator look stupid in the process...

So, at the end of my sermon:
I would not play the game with my (future) kids myself, because I find it is vital for them to first understand the situation. Which is the same reason why my kids will not get toy soldiers, toy guns, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dumon. I'm also a Germ

There are millions of nice games for kids out there. I just don't see the point.

Apparently, choking hazard-time's over at the age of 3!
So what?

And I do like adult games (war, mob, crime) myself!

My kids have to wait till they're teenagers, though.

I'll make sure they won't get bored in the meantime.
We don't even have a TV!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
David Greene wrote:
From what I am reading about this game here on BGG, it seems like the suggested minimum age should be more like 10 or 12.

As of right now, there are five votes for the minimum age. 3 people chose 8, 1 person chose 10, 1 person chose 12.

I am hoping in particular for help from those who are familiar with the (admittedly somewhat subjective) "normal standards" (on BGG) of age appropriateness, and can address my question as someone knowledgeable about, and in agreement with, those "normal standards" on BGG. Thanks.

Age is based on the ability to play the game: grasp the mechanics, reading level etc. As such, I think 8 is probably too high because being a co-op, younger players can easily play along with someone who knows the game.

Whether it is appropriate for YOUR kids is YOUR decision and the age limit should have no bearing on that one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:

My kids have to wait till they're teenagers, though.

Says who? Your kids will be exposed to war way before they are teenagers whether you like it or not. Once they start going to school (at age 4 or 5) it's out of your control.

It's best you be the one to expose it to them so you can explain it in a way you are comfortable with rather than letting some stranger's kids do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
David Greene wrote:

Age is based on the ability to play the game: grasp the mechanics, reading level etc. As such, I think 8 is probably too high because being a co-op, younger players can easily play along with someone who knows the game.

Whether it is appropriate for YOUR kids is YOUR decision and the age limit should have no bearing on that one way or the other.

Second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a parent I've had no problem whatsoever exposing my kids to factual history! Looks like this makes me a bad parent according to some posts.

It's how the facts are communicated, certain detail omitted, for sure some people are unbelievable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get your last sentence completely. However, I hope you don't mean that if I choose to not "confront" (for lack of better word) my kid with the subject also includes that I regard you as a bad parent. It was my intention to say that every parent has to make his own choices in that matter. I do not disapprove of your choice - in fact, I can understand it. Still, I choose my own way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The whole parenting thing aside...

The differences between kids intellect or comprehension ability vary widely at such young ages. I know a lot of kids that could of handled this game fine at age 6 and others at that age who might not of been able to comprehend enough to make their own decisions at that age but still could of handled it with help. But strictly speaking on terms of averages and assuming you want the child to be able to play the game, read the cards, comprehend enough to make their own decisions or at least contribute their thoughts in a multiplayer coop format of this game, I think they pretty much nailed it if 8 is the recommended age.

You mileage and your kids may vary, some could get into it earlier and some might need a year or two of growing, but 8 is a pretty good average if you have to pick an age in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10-year old daughter, who just read an age appropriate book on Pearl Harbor, would have no problem understanding the setting of D-Day Dice. She is a seasoned gamer and would pick it up pretty quickly as well. The game is so abstract that I don't see an issue with any percieved violence - especially in a historical context. However, I would not show her the inside cover of the rules. I feel there is a difference between nudity and sexuality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I don't get your last sentence completely. However, I hope you don't mean that if I choose to not "confront" (for lack of better word) my kid with the subject also includes that I regard you as a bad parent. It was my intention to say that every parent has to make his own choices in that matter. I do not disapprove of your choice - in fact, I can understand it. Still, I choose my own way...

Totally agree and I respect your decision as a parent, it's all about opinions and life choices as parents we respect each others values

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old asked me if we could play a game of D-Day Dice this morning, so we snuck in a quick game before work. My 5 year old played with us as well. My 8 year old understands the game quite well. We can talk together about which dice to keep and what resources we need. The only thing that he doesn't remember exactly is some of the RWB bonuses (like the stars or medals bonus). I think that if he tried, he could probably play a solo game without my help (or maybe very minimal help).

My 5 year old needs much more help. We also give her the advantage of an extra roll. She can't read, so we have to tell her what all of the cards do. And she sometimes forgets what the wrenches are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.