Popular Tags: [View All]
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Looking for a CC level game but with vehicles in it. Any suggestions OTHER than (A)SL or Fighting Formations (I know FF is on another level but the game will otherwise be mentioned I am sure whistle )?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Up Front is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Conflict of Heroes series would fit the bill for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChemEng wrote:
Up Front is amazing.

But only a card game and so far as I am aware infantry only ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
The Conflict of Heroes series would fit the bill for you.

Was looking at that but wondered if it would not be to "family game easy" like memoir..... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of tanks in Up Front. They do tend to dominate any game in which they appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Plenty of tanks in Up Front. They do tend to dominate any game in which they appear.

OKay I see but a "card only" game so that is not an option (even though I know it is a GREAT game laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer would seem to be Squad Leader or Advanced Squad Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be easier to answer if we knew what you like (and don't like) about Combat Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know much about the new Panzer (second edition) from GMT but that might be worth a look. It's just now shipping with its first two expansions.

Also the relatively new and well-received Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and its follow-up just going up for preorder, Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer, are a good system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:

I know but thats why i stated in my first posting that SL or ASL are no option since
A I am no millionaire
B I dont want to start another hobby in itself shake

Thanks for the suggestion though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
It might be easier to answer if we knew what you like (and don't like) about Combat Commander.

I am not looking for a copy of CC with vehicles but looking for a same level game (company level about) with hexes but not only inf orientated but including vehicles.

Tried Fighting Formations (altough it is another level game) but it was just not the thing for us.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
I don't really know much about the new Panzer (second edition) from GMT but that might be worth a look. It's just now shipping with its first two expansions.

Also the relatively new and well-received Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and its follow-up just going up for preorder, Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer, are a good system.

Thanks Mark > going to look at your suggestions right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

I am not looking for a copy of CC with vehicles but looking for a same level game (company level about) with hexes but not only inf orientated but including vehicles.

Tried Fighting Formations (altough it is another level game) but it was just not the thing for us.......

But nothing about the mechanics to guide us? Did you like the cards? The chaos? The compact battlefield? The scenarios?

Incidentally, you can limit yourself to the ASL starter kits, have a very complete game experience, and come in rather cheap (cheaper than all the CC stuff combined).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
RenevdAssem wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

But nothing about the mechanics to guide us? Did you like the cards? The chaos? The compact battlefield? The scenarios?

Incidentally, you can limit yourself to the ASL starter kits, have a very complete game experience, and come in rather cheap (cheaper than all the CC stuff combined).

To be honest, I would like Chad to come to his senses and add vehicles to the game arrrh I wouldn't need any other game,, but probably not going to happen .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Band of Brothers or the ASL starter kits. BoB has cleaner, simpler rules and plays faster, but the ASL scenarios are on average more interesting (IMO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:
To be honest, I would like Chad to come to his senses and add vehicles to the game arrrh I wouldn't need any other game,, but probably not going to happen .....

It's not a matter of "coming to his senses"... all the kvetching over all these years, and no one has come up with their own working set of rules for vehicles. That tells me he was right in leaving them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfoley79 wrote:
sauron
Well this makes sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to make me look like an idiot, John! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread just went up a notch in awesomeness. Between this one and the BP5 announcement thread... >.< Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:
Dweeb wrote:

I know but thats why i stated in my first posting that SL or ASL are no option since
A I am no millionaire
B I dont want to start another hobby in itself shake

Thanks for the suggestion though

ASL is the very best option for you.
Usually you start ASL with the ASL Starter Kits:
A you need not be a millionaire - you just need few bucks
B It's not a hobby in itself, it's just the best squad level game with lots of scenarios and only few rules
C You may stay with the ASL Starter Kits forever or use the option to jump into Full ASL at any time with the same base of rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfoley79 wrote:
sauron

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevdAssem wrote:
johnfoley79 wrote:
sauron

?

Well, as it just so happens...

It seems the Combat Commander mad scientists were in their underground secret laboratory trying to come up with a way to integrate a little bit of Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV) action into their next battle pack!

Thus with the flash of lightning, the crackle of thunder, and the maniacal laughs of crazy men in boardgame design labcoats, we will now have:

Battlepack #5: Fall of the West which many are freaking out to note has...

Quote:
Special experimental AFV Rules are featured in four of the scenarios where tanks are facing infantry in settings that reveal how the doctrines, armaments and countermeasures were still early in development. While unfettered races by companies of tanks across the countryside remain a landmark image of the blitzkrieg, we found many instances of a more tentative level of engagement, suitable for our attempt at capturing an unusual element in the CC scope – TANKS!

Discussion thread here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Way to make me look like an idiot, John! laugh

Not at all, Scott. Notice that this new offering is designed and developed by John and Bryan. *I* didn't add tanks to CC....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.