Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Skaufel
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested in picking up Arkham Horror, but I mainly play with my wife and I'm afraid she will be frightened by the complexity.
We are both new to board games and I'm the geeky one of us.
So I'm looking for ideas on games that can prepare her, and me, for AH.
It doesn't have to be co-op or the same theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic

It's a great game, and offers similar gameplay in one fifth of the time.

You have a map, which you move over. On this map diseases/monsters are placed. You cure/fight these diseases/monsters. If you cure/destroy enough diseases/monsters you win, if you don't you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Start off with Macao. I chose it because you own it. Card interaction is important in AH, and Macao does this as well.

Then play Runebound. Both AH and Runebound are adventure boardgames. Specifically, each of your control a character, go to a location, and have an encounter. Runebound has more text than Macao and other Eurogames.

Finally, play AH solo, several times. See the forums for suggestions for playing as a new player.

See also the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game. A free Quick Start is available on the Chaosium.com site. It won't directly help you, but will get you an idea of what other Mythos games are out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, this is a tough one. I might recommend Elder Sign because it has the same theme with simpler rules. Try the iPad app if you don't want to spend $40+.

The thing is, there are very few games like Arkham Horror out there. The art, the flavor text, and the mechanics really set it apart. Playing a simpler co-op won't really prepare anyone for AH, and it might just scare them off if it turns out they hate co-op games. In other words, if you really want to play AH but you're worried they won't like it, I think you should just play AH right off the bat. At least you'll get that one play in.

This is what happened to me: I played AH with my wife before she really knew anything about board games. She kind of liked it: the game was a struggle, it was rich and challenging. We then moved to simpler games, like Pandemic, which she liked primarily because she wasn't a major Lovecraft fan and preferred the "medical" theme. Because of that one AH play, however, it was a breeze for her to learn and helped her realize board games weren't all that bad.

So, I recommend you try AH right off the bat, as long as you do all of the legwork: master the rules, set up the game, maintain the board as the game goes on, and explain some of the rules when they come up (instead of spending an hour lecturing on ALL the rules right up front). Most importantly, make sure you both read the flavor text on each card out loud. That's what transforms the game from a showpiece for game mechanics to the desperate, immersive, and unforgettable experience that AH is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
skullflame wrote:
I'm really interested in picking up Arkham Horror, but I mainly play with my wife and I'm afraid she will be frightened by the complexity.
We are both new to board games and I'm the geeky one of us.
So I'm looking for ideas on games that can prepare her, and me, for AH.
It doesn't have to be co-op or the same theme.

I suggest picking up Touch of Evil, from Flying Frog, which is a lighter version of Arkham Horror with a facelift. This is a great game by itself but it's awesome when coupled with it's expansion

Then pick up Mansions of Madness or/and Elder Sign, otherwise known as Arkham Horror Lite, which has the same background and characters.

If she likes these games, then it's the time to break out Arkhan Horror but be prepared because the game needs a lot of table space to play

A bonus is that all these games, with the exception of Mansions of Madness, are great solo games and you'll be playing them for a long time to come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skaufel
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.
I actually picked up Pandemic yesterday, but haven't played it yet.
But I think I more or less will follow all suggestions.
A friend of mine has Talisman, which I think is similar to Runebound, so hopefully we will get some game time there.
A touch of evil and Mansions of Madness] also seems worth to have a look at.
And regardless of what my wife thinks of these games, I will pick up Arkham Horror as well.

Cheers,
Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start by reading the rules to Arkham Horror:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...

(I personally think it is a really poor game. Way too much luck, very limited control, requiring too much time and too many rules for too little a game. I am in the minority but I think it's good that an against is voiced. In all honesty the rules are not that difficult but they are legion and somehow the rule book does a bad job explaining them... though I can't quite put my finger on why.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
skullflame wrote:
Thanks for the input.
A friend of mine has Talisman, which I think is similar to Runebound, so hopefully we will get some game time there.
And regardless of what my wife thinks of these games, I will pick up Arkham Horror as well.

Cheers,
Daniel

I like Mansions of Madness a lot but I would not recommend it as a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
skullflame wrote:
Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Daniel

I like Mansions of Madness a lot but I would not recommend it as a two player game.

My wife and I have played the first two stories, and we've had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.