Village» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Village: Die Early and Die Often rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Rothstein
msg tools
mbmb
Hope this review helps:

Village is a worker placement game about the life of a town spanning the generations and your family hopefully will do memorable things that will be cataloged in the written history of the town. Those members of your family that wind up being remembered are buried with honors earning you victory points, while those that don't rate wind up buried in a potters field, probably in a nameless grave or something equally ignoble.

This presents you with a counter intuitive game play because no one wants to die and human nature being what it is, one's natural inclination is to have your family members live as long as possible. Unfortunately for those who want to live forever, the time is ticking and the game ends if the prime real estate for dead bodies gets filled up.

Complicating things even further, your living members have to conduct worker placement tasks by taking cubes on a first come first serve basis. So to have a child you have to get a family cube. The supply is limited. To go to the market and get a plow and wagon for various VP-related concerns, you need to get one of those cubes. These conflicting concerns (the need for workers and the need to die) creates a real pressure on you that makes this a very unique worker placement game. Living workers can earn VPs by traveling roads, collecting oxen or plows for bonuses, or getting a majority of living workers in various locations, but the bonus for dead workers is significant enough that you are constantly trying to walk a fine line. To make it even tougher, your moves are measured by time and when time is up someone has to die. But if you kill the worker where you just were getting a majority bonus will you still have a majority? This is what must constantly be weighed.

Without going into the specifics of rules and pieces, Village is a a truly unique spin on worker placement where you constantly are under a pressure that no other worker placement game provides. There are opportunities to screw the player after you by such creative moves as killing yourself so you can grab the last slot in the prime burial ground to block the player after you from getting it first. The game borrows a little from other games (there does seem to be a Caylus type favor track) but it is tough to go up the track if you have to kill the poor guy off to get a decent burial.

I have played this game only once, but I eagerly look forward to my next game and recommend this game to even the most jaded of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played a lot of worker placement games? How does it compare to say Agricola,Pillars of Earth or Shadow of the Emperor?

Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shieldwolf wrote:
Have you played a lot of worker placement games? How does it compare to say Agricola,Pillars of Earth or Shadow of the Emperor?

JohanCarstensen wrote:
Why compare it to: Pillars of Earth, one of the worst worker placement games on the market?
My guess is, because those are the ones that he's played. :)

Randy: Of the three you've mentioned, I've played PotE once (and honestly don't really remember much of it) and Agricola many times, but never played SotE. So the bulk of this comparison will be to Agricola.

Village is not a "true" WP game in the sense that Agricola is, that is, you place your worker on a space, take that action, that action is blocked from other players, and you get your workers back at the end of a round (or an otherwise predetermined time, as in Ora et Labora). In Village, your action consists of taking a cube from one of the action spaces and then optionally performing that space's action, which usually involves placing one of your workers in that area, doing something with a worker that is already there, etc. Once a worker has been assigned to an area, it stays there until either (a) you spend an action to bring them back to your farmyard, or (b) they die. The number of actions you can take per round, however, is not limited by the number of workers that you have, and the number of times an action can be taken per round is limited(*) by the number of cubes placed on that action space at the beginning of each round (which is determined by the number of players). Also, because the number of workers does not determine the number of actions, there is no "feeding" mechanism that limits action proliferation, unlike in Agricola.

(*) There's an additional workaround that allows extra uses of an action space, but that's ancillary to the central mechanic of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Village WAY more than PotE and Age3, and a little less than Agricola and Dominant Species. Maybe the same as Caylus and SoeE. Although with a couple minor random elements in the game, it feels a bit different from the no-luck worker placement games like Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rothstein
msg tools
mbmb
I never played Shadows, but have played a ton of agricola and a bunch of Pillars. I enjoy all of them but of the three Pillars is the weakest by far. Agricola has going for it all the cards that change every game and your strategy, whereas Village has this time and dying thing that gives you a different sense of game playing. I can't say after 1 game which is better, but I find Agricola a great game because of the working with cards aspect of it. This game I find challenging for different reasons but as someone who enjoys agricola I can recommend village to a fellow gric player with confidence they will enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot, but also a lot less than Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me among those that do not consider Village a worker placement game. It's one of those games where, yes, you have workers and, yes, you place them, but the same can be said of games like Carcassonne.

In worker placement games, you select actions by placing workers. In village, you select actions by removing cubes. The "workers" are incidental, and may not even be involved in any fashion for some of the actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.