Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

This Friday we'll have our first play of the game; we'll be 5 ... 3 people had already played the original AH version (myself included) and the others 2 had never played the AH version.
Learning the game I can see that our past experiences with the AH version count a little really ... but helps in understanding some things.
This will be our first game with the GMT version (second edition); I have read the rules a couple of times and I'll play solo a couple of mutiplayers games just to better understand the rules and the game's mechanisms.

According to the rules, being in 5, we could play with 2 pirates but I'm thinking to allow only a single pirate in play for each player; these are my thoughts:

1) in order to lower the "workload" required to understand the game (many things will be taught by me while playing, after a general and limited explanation of the rules before play) and required to play with 2 pirates on the map, would be preferable to play with a single pirate, allowing the second one only if the first will die or retire.
2) no needs to explain the pirates alliance rules.
3) no risk of confusing the active pirate or making mistakes while changing the values ​​on the pirates displays.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsitaly wrote:
Hello!

This Friday we'll have our first play of the game; we'll be 5 ... 3 people had already played the original AH version (myself included) and the others 2 had never played the AH version.
Learning the game I can see that our past experiences with the AH version count a little really ... but helps in understanding some things.
This will be our first game with the GMT version (second edition); I have read the rules a couple of times and I'll play solo a couple of mutiplayers games just to better understand the rules and the game's mechanisms.

According to the rules, being in 5, we could play with 2 pirates but I'm thinking to allow only a single pirate in play for each player; these are my thoughts:

1) in order to lower the "workload" required to understand the game (many things will be taught by me while playing, after a general and limited explanation of the rules before play) and required to play with 2 pirates on the map, would be preferable to play with a single pirate, allowing the second one only if the first will die or retire.
2) no needs to explain the pirates alliance rules.
3) no risk of confusing the active pirate or making mistakes while changing the values ​​on the pirates displays.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Roberto

Roberto

I agree with you on the limiting the number of pirates in play to only one. Being new to the game and teaching four other players will be hectic. Limiting the pirates in play will speed the learning process along. Athough maybe a second pirate could be allowed after the deck runs out, because although the rules seem complicated, it's not really a difficult game to pick up.

A few other suggestions:

1) Make sure you download the Living Rules from GMT's website and review. The Living Rules contain many clarifications and good rule changes. I also put together a summary sheet to aid in teaching new players, which can be found here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63591/blackbeard-livin...

2) I strongly suggest using the 'Long Game' (see section 4.1). In this version, players go through the deck one time, then the deck is shuffled with the end game trigger (General Pardon) in it. With 5 players, you'll go through the deck quickly. Too quickly for players to feel as though they have accomplished anything in the game if playing the 'Standard Game'.

3) Allow each player to hold a pirate in his/her hand. There are a couple of cards that require using a pirate out of your hand. In addition, pirates tend to die in this game. It costs an action to draw a new pirate and/or deploy him. It's always good to give players a choice of pirates to deploy.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargazer1x wrote:

Roberto

I agree with you on the limiting the number of pirates in play to only one. Being new to the game and teaching four other players will be hectic. Limiting the pirates in play will speed the learning process along. Athough maybe a second pirate could be allowed after the deck runs out, because although the rules seem complicated, it's not really a difficult game to pick up.

A few other suggestions:

1) Make sure you download the Living Rules from GMT's website and review. The Living Rules contain many clarifications and good rule changes. I also put together a summary sheet to aid in teaching new players, which can be found here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63591/blackbeard-livin...

2) I strongly suggest using the 'Long Game' (see section 4.1). In this version, players go through the deck one time, then the deck is shuffled with the end game trigger (General Pardon) in it. With 5 players, you'll go through the deck quickly. Too quickly for players to feel as though they have accomplished anything in the game if playing the 'Standard Game'.

3) Allow each player to hold a pirate in his/her hand. There are a couple of cards that require using a pirate out of your hand. In addition, pirates tend to die in this game. It costs an action to draw a new pirate and/or deploy him. It's always good to give players a choice of pirates to deploy.

Enjoy!

Thanks Eric!

About your points:

1) I have bought the game (2nd printing) a couple of months ago directly from GMT and, comparing the printed rules with the living rules, they are the same; I didn't see any difference checking several points ... of course I have not checked all the rules ...
I find your summary sheet very useful and I'll use it for sure ... I'm a new player as the others at this game!
2) About the "long game" it is real a good suggestion and I'll use it ... I was thinking to use the "standard game" but I didn't know how fast the cards are played; you clarified me this.
3) I didn't know that a couple of cards require using a pirate out of your hand and that pirates tend to die (!) so I'll allow another pirate card in hand as you suggested.

Roberto

PS. You have 2 more GeekGold! (for the file)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto

Glad to help. My favorite pirate game, only wish i could get it to the table more often. cry Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.