Subject: Rules/Walkthrough Type Entirely Too Small rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egad! I just received my game, and the 7 point typeset on the rules and walkthough booklets make them almost impossible to read.

In learning such a complex game and juggling all of its many component pieces, readbility is the key to usability.

In future, PLEASE use at least 10 point serif type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fine on my iPad - you just have to zoom in to two-column width and - oh, wait...

For what it's worth, I fully agree, and suspect we're not alone in wishing they'd printed a thicker rulebook with a larger font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
It is pretty small. As Andrew Bird indicated, the rules are available digitally ("how to play" tab). They are much easier to read on a large screen, and the pdfs can be searched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
Egad! I just received my game, and the 7 point typeset on the rules and walkthough booklets make them almost impossible to read.

In learning such a complex game and juggling all of its many component pieces, readbility is the key to usability.

In future, PLEASE use at least 10 point serif type.

You're absolutelly right, the font should be larger (oddly enough its size is 10,5 pt, but that says nothing as font types vary significantly).

When laying out, our goal was to condense the rules into 32 pages in total. We figured out not only it won't fit 32, but neither 36 pages. So we ended up with 40 pages in total, Rulebook and Walkthrough together. WizKids not only approved, but kept the estimated product price at the same level. Yes, the rules are not as expensive to produce as say cardboard, but nevertheless it does cost money. So while I completelly agree with you that the rules are printed with annoyingly small typo, it could have been a lot worse...

And as mentioned above, at least WizKids have given us downloadable searchable rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karel_danek wrote:
You're absolutelly right, the font should be larger (oddly enough its size is 10,5 pt, but that says nothing as font types vary significantly).

You may have used 10.5pt type, but the font 'Sakkal Majalla' which you used is intended for use as an Arabic-language font, which gives the font some very large ascenders and decenders in the Arabic part of the font ('point size' is the size in point from the lowest descender to the highest ascender). This ends up making the effective size for the English part of the font when selecting 10.5pt to look like 8pt type.

Anyway, enough rambling. It is small, but I'm working thru it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find opening the rule book in a browser and zooming in (ctrl + mouse wheel scroll) helps with readability...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.