Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Thank you for uploading the rules.

I am particularly interested in this publication, firstly because I have pre-ordered it, and secondly because my son is apparently one of the explorers.

A first read through of the rules makes me curious enough to ask, why a character with two professions is defined as Non-Belligerent? This choice of terminology does rather imply that (say) a doctor is belligerent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your interest in the game, James, and I am glad that your son (Ben Clarke) is going to appear in one card representing a British explorer!
It is a good question the one that you posed and I will answer with pleasure.
The term belligerent is rather applied to the country than to the person per se.
There were European countries that had particular interest for colonizing and were usually in conflict while trying to gather power in Africa, and thus were belligerent in that aspect among each other: specially French, British and German empires (added Belgium as the game depicts the area in the boundaries of Congo region).

Other countries had little presence and less resources to colonize regions of Africa, in particular in the Congo River area , and in this game characters who belong to these countries are called non-belligerent, that is, characters who belong to countries which are non-belligerent for the River Congo region a.ka. non-belligerent characters.
Then we cannot say that a doctor is a belligerent person by himself. He is not literally going to fight in order to take control of a colonial post. In each station along the river, with the bidding mechanism system , players try to resolve who is the character most qualified or capable of leading the post, taking into account first their professions, then nationalities and later their support if any (help from a number of auxiaries or special cards).

I hope to have being able to clarify your doubt and that you enjoy the game and win good victory points with the help of "your explorer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
I see, thank you for the clarification.

jarinu wrote:
I am glad that your son (Ben Clarke) is going to appear in one card representing a British explorer!
When I gave consent to my son joining a party of brave volunteers for this expedition, I had understood that he would be venturing out in peace, in a quest for knowledge. I don’t believe that the prospect of getting torn to shreds by an angry gorilla, was highlighted sufficiently in the job description!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don’t believe that the prospect of getting torn to shreds by an angry gorilla, was highlighted sufficiently in the job description!

Well, that is a risk that all brave volunteers should be willing to take if they are going to cross unknown jungles in Africa!!
On the other hand the odds that this will happen particularly to Ben are quite low. Explorers and officers due to their training have big chances to survive an attack of gorillas and/or warriors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
This anxious parent is greatly reassured by the improved odds, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.