BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for a Board Gaming Table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just moved into a new house with a coveted area for a table that will be used for nothing other than gaming.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a brand/type of table that is great for gaming.

I largely play Euro-style games. I would want four people to be able to sit around it comfortably. It would be nice if on occasion I could get six around it.

I'm thinking maybe something with build-in containers for smaller game pieces. Drink holders a possibility. I didn't know if I should be looking at poker tables, or if there is a better option out there.

I'd probably rather have a wooden top than a felt top, but I don't know where to look for something that looks like a standard table but also has gaming features like piece holders.

Any suggestions out there? Thanks for any insight/help you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Jurgensen
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, you can't really go wrong with geekchichq.com. Their tables are exquisite and built specifically for gaming. The tables themselves are well priced for the quality and design that you get, but the shipping is expensive.

The alternative would be to find a local master carpenter and bring them pictures of designs and finishes that you'd be interested in. They can craft a custom table that suits your needs and will match the rest of your furniture. The cost will probably be comparable to geekchic, but you won't have to pay a large shipping cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Which ever table you decide...I highly recommend one of these!

http://www.boardsandbits.com/advanced_search_result.php?sear...=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:

Which ever table you decide...I highly recommend one of these!

http://www.boardsandbits.com/advanced_search_result.php?sear...=

Hey, these are back in stock! Thanks for letting me know. I was thinking about buying from these guys, but I haven't been able to get feedback from users who like or dislike them:

Perfectex Neoprene Sheets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few recommendations:
The Spartan
The Emissary
The Vizier
The Sultan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a Geek Chic Emissary table. I really love it. It was pretty expensive at around $4k, but it doubles as a dining table, so it's easier to justify if you have it in the budget.

I wrote a bit about mine on my blog if you wanted to read more about them: http://www.nerdbloggers.com/nerdbloggers/2012/5/6/my-experie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the suggestions.

What if it isn't in my budget to be spending thousands of dollars on a table???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
oaklandsberg wrote:

Build one yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could use a poker table. that has sort of a lip and has a felt covering. that might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to think I may as well just buy a regular table.
Just thought it would be nice to have places to set pieces or drinks.
But if I have to pay a few extra grand for that, I'll just go with how we have always played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as soon as you go beyond 'regular table' to 'custom, awesome table' you really hit a huge price jump. Although there may be some table that has those features that is mass-produced (likely for some other reason, like bead storage is not made for game storage but works) and you should look for something like that. But I don't know, I just play on my kitchen table, and I have a 6' folding table that works pretty well, but when you ask specifically about a gaming table the mind jumps to 'custom gaming table' and those come up first. Give the community a little more time - someone probably knows of a good table brand you could get that has some of the features you want that isn't thousands of dollars.

Personally, I picked up both the tables I have for less than $100 together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
oaklandsberg wrote:
But if I have to pay a few extra grand for that, I'll just go with how we have always played.

RECOMMENDATION: If you decide to buy a "regular" table, consider getting one that is bar height. My wife and I were in the market for a new dining room table several years ago and opted for the higher table with matching chairs. We don't regret that decision at all. We probably game on that table more often than we eat there. The height allows players to sit OR stand, which is welcome during a long gaming session. Standing and playing at a standard height table can be rough. And as I stated above in an earlier post to this thread, I recommend you spring for a table cover from Boards & Bits!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
Jythier wrote:
oaklandsberg wrote:

Build one yourself.

There a guy over on youtube who actually did this and the table looks sweet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
I just went with the white table that folds that you can pick up at any Wal-mart for like 35 dollars lol. It does the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohcrapitschris wrote:
I just went with the white table that folds that you can pick up at any Wal-mart for like 35 dollars lol. It does the job.

Pretty sure that's the table I have. Well, one like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I was looking for some good recommendations that weren't $5k, as well. I use a folding table and lay a sheet of felt across the whole thing. The felt really adds a lot and is pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
$4,000 shake I wouldn't even spend that on a kitchen table that I use 3 times a day!!! Wow, I would like to know what some of you do for a living being able to drop 4K...hell even over $125 on a "game table"???

Buy a cheap poker table. [geekurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Octagon-Folding-Poker-Table-8-Players-Top-Padded-with-Cup-Holders-48-x-48-/110935072881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d43ee071]Heres one for $39.00[/geekurl]

Folds and has plastic pockets for all your bits and or drinks too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hezkezl wrote:
I bought a Geek Chic Emissary table. I really love it. It was pretty expensive at around $4k, but it doubles as a dining table, so it's easier to justify if you have it in the budget.

I wrote a bit about mine on my blog if you wanted to read more about them: http://www.nerdbloggers.com/nerdbloggers/2012/5/6/my-experie...

By the way William, I read your review a few months ago and it's probably the single thing I read or saw that finally convinced me to put a deposit in for mine. I'm still waiting to get into the manufacturing queue, but very excited.

Dr S, if you can't afford the real thing (and even non gaming solid wood, good quality tables cost thousands of dollars if you're not making them yourself) consider looking for a game room style poker table. It should fit your needs without being too too much and they do make some convertible versions can serve as a normal table. A cheap pool table with a cover could also work (and also is a pool table).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
$4,000 shake I wouldn't even spend that on a kitchen table that I use 3 times a day!!! Wow, I would like to know what some of you do for a living being able to drop 4K...hell even over $125 on a "game table"???

Buy a cheap poker table. [geekurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Octagon-Folding-Poker-Table-8-Players-Top-Padded-with-Cup-Holders-48-x-48-/110935072881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d43ee071]Heres one for $39.00[/geekurl]

Folds and has plastic pockets for all your bits and or drinks too

See? That's what I'm talking about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kelly
United States
Worth
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
oaklandsberg wrote:

RECOMMENDATION: If you decide to buy a "regular" table, consider getting one that is bar height. My wife and I were in the market for a new dining room table several years ago and opted for the higher table with matching chairs. We don't regret that decision at all. We probably game on that table more often than we eat there. The height allows players to sit OR stand, which is welcome during a long gaming session. Standing and playing at a standard height table can be rough. And as I stated above in an earlier post to this thread, I recommend you spring for a table cover from Boards & Bits!

Good luck!

+1 for this we did the same thing. We have a 48 by 48 bar table and it accommodates every size game Ive tried on it as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using this table for gaming quite a bit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20104718/

The drawers work great for small games like Zombie Dice, Battle Line or Bilbios. Or just storing decks of cards, dice, poker chips, etc. The folding is convenient if you are playing a smaller VS a larger game and want the extra space in the room. Plus the price was right.

My only complaint is that it is a little on the narrow side. Where as most tables tend to be over 3 feet to a side, this one is a bit shy of 3 feet wide, but it makes up for it in length. I've yet to have an issue though. Every game I've played has fit on it just fine with ample room for players personal space. Although one guy likes to leverage his bits hanging half off the table under the board, and inevitably twitches, knocks them with is elbow, and sends bits flying almost every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.drunkdwarves.com/?p=200

I built one, with modular 2x2 terrain boards (I added brackets for support on the far ends for them.) I also used 2"x4"s for legs (cuts down the weight of 4"x4"s) cut at 36" and added 2" casters so its movable. It's a fairly cheap and epic 4'x8' beast! For straight board gaming the dimensions are variable and you can throw a sheet of 4'x4' MDF board (or two if you keep it at 8') on top and cover it with felt/grass mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harper,

People spend thousands of dollars on dining room tables all the time. The people who buy geekchic tables are generally using them as real functional and attractive furniture in dining rooms, etc. rather than something to be shoved in a secret corner or musty basement. At least that's my view.

When you see people with 100+ games gathered over the years, they've already invested thousands of dollars in this hobby. I see it the same as someone with a motorcycle hobby or getting a new super cutting age computer every year for gaming. Except a high quality piece of furniture should last a lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
Harper,

People spend thousands of dollars on dining room tables all the time. The people who buy geekchic tables are generally using them as real functional and attractive furniture in dining rooms, etc. rather than something to be shoved in a secret corner or musty basement. At least that's my view.

When you see people with 100+ games gathered over the years, they've already invested thousands of dollars in this hobby. I see it the same as someone with a motorcycle hobby or getting a new super cutting age computer every year for gaming. Except a high quality piece of furniture should last a lifetime.

I agree 100% with you here. However these recommendations are being made to a guy who is seemly new and looks to only own 11 games.

You're putting the cart before the horse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:
Harper,

I agree 100% with you here. However these recommendations are being made to a guy who is seemly new and looks to only own 11 games.

You're putting the cart before the horse.

How about a horse pulling a cart full of games AND a cool table? Now that would be awesome.

Anyway, I only have less than 50 games and I already want a cool table to play them on. Unfortunately, it's hard to save when you see another 50 games you must have now...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.