Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not sure which I prefer. I like the new boards a lot, but the bigger box is kind of a pain.

Poll
1. For each component, which edition do you prefer?
  Strongly prefer 1st Prefer 1st No preference Prefer 2nd Strongly prefer 2nd
Box (includes physical box and art)
Mission selection cards/tiles
Mission selection vote cards/tiles
Mission success or fail cards
Game board(s)
Tokens for past missions
2. Overall, which edition do you prefer (alternatively, if you were buying the game, which edition would you choose?)
Strongly prefer 1st
Prefer 1st
Neutral
Prefer 2nd
Strongly prefer 2nd
      165 answers
Poll created by Renaissance Man

Here is an excellent picture showing all of the components for each edition:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is which?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Left is 2nd, right is 1st.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Second is on the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Th tradeoff is the box size. I like taking it in my game bag and its tiny. That bigger box might make it not fit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tokens are a very nice idea. All the different cards flying around in the original are a bit confusing. I also like the specialized boards for each player count. The text descriptors are also a good idea (should have been there all along).

However, I think for me all these advantages are trumped by the fact that I love the small package size of the original, so I'll be keeping that one. It's perfect to just stick in a pocket if I'm with a group that might be up for a game.

If I want the bigger, fancy stuff, I'll have Avalon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can't we have both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, 1st edition has a slight edge over 2nd for me. While I like the prettier boards, and the use of both tokens and cards.. the deciding factor for me was the size of the overall game box.

As has been mentioned before, the portability of 1st edition is great for a game that is so appealing to non-gamers and gamers alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange results so far. Aside from the box, the vast majority prefer components from the second edition (in every category). Yet, overall people claim to prefer the first edition. Does the box matter that much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty good box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... the box does matter. The easier it is to take around, the higher the likelihood of getting to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Strange results so far. Aside from the box, the vast majority prefer components from the second edition (in every category). Yet, overall people claim to prefer the first edition. Does the box matter that much?
For this type of game, yes. For most games, I am not going to carry them around a lot other than to a major game night so their size doesn't matter much, but this I might bring with me to parties or when I travel (fly) home for the holidays. This kind of box-size increase was done to BANG! a while back as well, and I am still grateful that I have the earlier edition with the smaller box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if all of the contents in the new box will fit in the old box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
Does anyone know if all of the contents in the new box will fit in the old box?

The new mission boards definitely won't, as they're the size of the new box.

I think the box is about the same size as Bohnanza... so still pretty small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tough call. Definitely like the 6 mission boards (in theory) and the tokens for voting and choosing team members for the mission. But I prefer the older mission cards and the red/blue wooden circles. Also, in the games I've played people tend to drop in and out between games, so having to switch boards would be fiddly. The way the original board allows you to play for any player size is great.

In all, though I'd gladly trade my voting/team cards for the tokens, the first edition is more streamlined and easier to take places and pull out unsolicited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Does the box matter that much?

ahem...

Tremendously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie Tsang
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a game as light as resistance, smaller box is much preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a brainstorm this morning. It would be perfect (for me, at least), to be able to add the 2nd edition counters to my 1st edition box. I posted the following on the Avalon Kickstarter page:

I have a suggestion for an extra you could offer. How about allowing Avalon backers to purchase the COUNTER sheet from Resistance 2nd ed? I've decided I really want to keep my first edition because I like the compactness of it, but I would love to replace the voting and team cards with the new tokens. I would be happy to add to my pledge to pay for the sheet ($5?).

If anyone else likes this idea, maybe we could make that known on the Kickstarter comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
I had a brainstorm this morning. It would be perfect (for me, at least), to be able to add the 2nd edition counters to my 1st edition box. I posted the following on the Avalon Kickstarter page:

I have a suggestion for an extra you could offer. How about allowing Avalon backers to purchase the COUNTER sheet from Resistance 2nd ed? I've decided I really want to keep my first edition because I like the compactness of it, but I would love to replace the voting and team cards with the new tokens. I would be happy to add to my pledge to pay for the sheet ($5?).

If anyone else likes this idea, maybe we could make that known on the Kickstarter comments.

I would love that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aube
Canada
Ste-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's proven: size does matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Does the box matter that much?

ahem...

Tremendously

To the point where I would not buy the new edition even. (YMMV)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the new box art work is ugly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to play with the new components to reach a solid conclusion about them, but I'm tentatively in favour of everything except the boards, which appear to be the only internal factor "justifying" the box size, which is the obvious problem with the new version.

Having to shuffle boards whenever a player joins/leaves between games is just an added hassle, not an outright deal-breaker.

I strongly approve of having the cards/tokens labelled with their effects - my regualr play-group has new players joining in pretty often, and fairly frequently having to be reminded what each glyph represents. The old version, while compact, and clear once you learn it, has a bit of a learning curve for figuring out all the symbols and annotations at first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Also, in the games I've played people tend to drop in and out between games, so having to switch boards would be fiddly.

rmsgrey wrote:
Having to shuffle boards whenever a player joins/leaves between games is just an added hassle, not an outright deal-breaker.

I don't understand how this can be fiddly or a hassle. You're not supposed to shuffle them. It's just 3 boards, and you pick one that corresponds to the number of player. It will take far less time than handing out the roles to the players, and it will not take more than 2 - 3 seconds.

I do think they could have kept the original size, though. But maybe I'll change my opinion on this when I see the new boards in real life.

The iconography is much better in the 2nd edition, and I like the new vote tokes. Also I think the slightly bigger box, and stronger color will help the sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rehm

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything to make the game easier to grasp for new players is good in my book. The second edition has emphasized this so it was a no brainier purchase for me, everything about it is better. It's my favorite filler of all time. Not sure why all the hate because it won't fit in your cargo pants, I never carried it around in my pocket anyway. You people make it sound like it comes in a coffin box now, sheesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.