Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Until now I mostly player with 1 opponent in real life - but the latest experiences on Vassal brought to my mind a few points of possible tweaks to rules.

TITO - As revolting army - if wiped out by the Axis, it cannot be rebuilt until Allies free Belgrade; unless it is mispelled.
The 3 months later new season applies only if the unit is willingly disbanded by Allies. Maybe this needs a tweak of sort?
This would represent the fact Tito reforms over time or seeks shelter somewhere. Maybe 2nd Front is required to be reformed though AND Italy collapse (as he seeked refuge in islands under protection of the brits).

VICHY FRANCE - Vichy troops should never become Free French and always trace to Lyon. Also the Diplomatic Event VF (Vichy goes with Allies) should be triggered by Allied Blocks and not hexes in control.
It's silly that 1 block is sent over France and with zoc lucks off Vichy going to Allies.
Vichy would only logically officially switch side when a troop commitment is seen that would eventually lead to the safety through liberation of the continental france still under Vichy control.
Not that a measly corp of marines blitzes throug Bay of Biscay and dang, a lucky roll and Vichy is suddenly Allied.

AFRIKA CAMPAIGN -
ETHIOPIA: The Ethiopia spot seems quite useless to me currently, the Italian unit there cannot do anything useful and actually a sane Axis players want it self destroyed asap to place it in Lybya. The UK can easily place in Aden (or if not occupied British Somalia) the IndIF block to prevent anything.
LYBYA - EGYPT: Axis is ultimately hopeless. Unless the UK slacks big time or decides for not so proficient missions elsewhere (except the extremely CHEAP Narvik expedition which gives IMMENSE tradeoffs for what you send over). Axis is too outgunned in troops, the DAK comes late and arrives at 1 strength when usually the Allies have already like 5-8 steps of mech and 3-4 steps of armour; not to speak of their infantries. The lone solution I can see to that is a delay of the MF Veterans to be sent over. Maybe requiring a Diplomatic Event on roll base to unlock 1 block from Uk and send it over to Afrika.
Nothing otherwise prevents a mass shipping of them to Afrika in few forthnights. No please, don't mention Sea Lion - we all know it's a do or die gamekiller; which is most oft based on the sheer luck of rolls about sea interception for invasions and supplies than else.
This way the UK would dilute over time their Veteran to get to deal with the Italians.

AXIS Airpower in Balkans:
This is very marginal, and probably more historical flavor than anything else.
Even in '41 in the Balkans the Axis should have TF; the UK had indeed stalled the Luftwaffe on Britain itself (and would have lost Battle of Britain if prosecuted, even if outproducing the Germany of planes, the trained pilots at avail by then where in shortage in UK meanwhile the Germans had a large amount of trained pilots of reserve) - but operating in Yugoslavia, Greece, etc, the Axis (German) airpower was pratically dominant.

Axis Satellites expeditions in Russia.
I'd switch Kiev instead of Sevastopol to release them.
Sevastopol is hardly taken, provides no PP and its major purpose is to prevent landings in the satellites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
These all seem fine as house rules, but I don't think the official rules need to be changed. Some random thoughts...

Tito works fine as is. The VF diplomatic event prevents an east front overload...just make sure the Bay of Biscay ports are garrisoned by June 1941 and the Germans should have no issues.

Agree that Ethiopia does not see a lot of action but there are some interesting choices for both sides. Yes the Axis can get an extra static in Libya by rebuilding the E. Africa unit, but that means British get an extra brigade unit, which can be commanded by a regular HQ and move off road. That trade seems better for the British.

Narvik intervention is no longer that big of a deal without the Canadian Mech unit.

The Axis definitely should be on the defensive in Libya/Egypt, but there are opportunities to counterattack. If the British are built up in Egypt they probably did not garrison Crete. The British also need some time to take Tobruk, which gives Rommel some breathing space.

Agree that Axis airpower in the Balkans was probably closer to TF in early 1941, but it's simpler to keep it at DF. Makes Crete a bit more challenging too.

If Sevastopol is not taken in your games, why do you want to make it even less important? Depending on the situation, Sevastopol is often worth taking IMO.

BTW, two house rules that I usually play with:

1. Paris is an open city--no double defense or double fire. It helps prevent France from bogging down too much in 1940 and 1944.

2. Germans get a +1 bonus for each missed RX roll until Romania joins the Axis. So the first roll is a 1-3, second is 1-4, etc. This used to be really important with Fortress Narvik and no Gamelin Rule, to give the poor Germans some PP. Not sure if this rule is still needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with your responses, Fitzban, except Paris. But will think about that one.

VF is definitely needed for the reason you cite. Without it there is no downside to EF Overload.

Have actually put in a tentative provision for +1DRM per failure for RX in the next rules edit v1.16 (also changed the SA/SB mechanic a bit).

I just missed on S1 (50%) TEN times in a row as the Soviets before I got it, so I understand the complaint.

OTOH, sometimes you just get dealt a **** hand by the dice. It does generate some extreme cases, which though imbalanced are IMO often quite interesting to play out.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re Tito:

Tito can only arrive once by Revolt (only 1 Revolt/nation, as for other Revolts). Agree not clear in the rules. Will fix.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Sun Lakes (near Phoenix)
Arizona
flag msg tools
I like the current balance of rules. The game strategies center on resource use; if you go short on garrisoning France, you risk VF, so don't short France.

Ditto in principle for Ethiopia: the game mimics the historical effort used to clean out the Italians. The Brits could just ignore the EA, but if deployed at the right time, EA can cut their supply. So, invest early, take it out; or block it at Sudan and Somali'. As Axis, let them spend the resources; they ususally do it early, and then the Axis brings EA back. Suicide doesn't seem warranted.

Tito: it's a one-off threat, kind of like VF, and the other revolt provisions: garrisons are needed, and historic. If you take precautions, you reduce the risk.

Med: you spends your money, you takes your chances. Axis can send Transfer PP to the Med (yes, it's expensive: what, victory comes cheap?!). Then you advance DAK and HQ-Afr. You also are prepared to send an alien armor if needed. (Expensive?....see above)

The game highlights choices. There's no free lunches. If the Axis ships all the units to the East, they do well there, but they risk loss in the West/Med. That seems fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also recommend that the Germans at least put up a credible threat of sealion. Unless the Allies get the BEF out of France (no easy task) then this will help slow down the build-up of MedFront troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Davis
England
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig, are you looking for input into v1.16? Happy to help - I have a number of comments and corrections too.
I agree that VF is needed.
I like the Paris tweak, the +1DRM for RX (they were pro-Axis anyway) and the revision for Tito.
Adrian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ajdavis wrote:
Craig, are you looking for input into v1.16? Happy to help - I have a number of comments and corrections too.
I agree that VF is needed.
I like the Paris tweak, the +1DRM for RX (they were pro-Axis anyway) and the revision for Tito.
Adrian

Tito is not a revision, that was always the rule, just not stated clearly enough.

C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.