Axis & Allies 1941» Forums » General

Subject: How to make Axis & Allies 1941 more interesting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Ruys
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I was on vacation in Germany I saw the game for what I thought was a bargain and I immediately bought it, without any previous experiences in the Axis & Allies series. I read about it before and I knew it was supposed to be a very awesome, epic WWII strategy boardgame and my game group desperately needed a game like this.

So 29 euro is not much for the game, but after seeing 23 euro fly by online, it would've been a better price for it. The components themselves aren't dissapointed per se, but the amount of them is just pathetic.

Couldn't they have shipped the game with a bit more cardboard so that I don't have to take out Puerto Rico every time to set the game up?

And, ofcourse, there aren't enough plastic figures, but that was to be expected from the price and the target group this game is trying to fill.

But I'm going a bit off-topic, the reason for this topic is to appeal to the more experienced Axis and Allies players. I want to make the game more interesting.

The game seems to be all about getting new units, moving units, killing stuff/throwing dice, and thats about it. What about getting new Industrial Complexes? Or what about differences in Terrain and the effect it has on units? These are just examples, and maybe they are a bit far fetched, we are getting the inspiration for this from the Hearts of Iron series.

Ofcourse, I was thinking about purchasing Axis and Allies 1942, or one of the 1940 games, but its a big price bump, and there are more games out there (like Eclipse, Game of Thrones etc.) I could be getting (and which I just ordered ). And I wasn't sure if these versions (1940/1942) of A&A (1942 atleast) would offer that much of a difference with 1941 in terms of complexity/strategy differences.

In other words we're looking for ways to make this game have more strategy or be more tactical. How to make the game more interesting, maybe some houserules or extra rules people thought of in the previous editions of A&A, or that have existed in these games.

Any help is greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading the huge post whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treat this game as an introduction to the series. This is a great edition to learn the game with; if you love it keep buying, if not this was the cheapest way to test it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Ruys
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:
Treat this game as an introduction to the series. This is a great edition to learn the game with; if you love it keep buying, if not this was the cheapest way to test it.

Yeah I totally get that, I got that when I bought the game. I could've bought 1942, but I bought 1941.

I'm just looking around for ways to expand on 1941, without having to buy 1940 (as I think that would prove to be much better then 1942 in this respect), and then wanting to get Europe and Japan right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The new 1942 Second Edition should satisfy your desire to expand 1941. I'm disappointed that there is no Tech even as a variant optional rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Ruys
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USMMA95 wrote:
The new 1942 Second Edition should satisfy your desire to expand 1941. I'm disappointed that there is no Tech even as a variant optional rule.

Where does it differ from 1941? What does it offer more? Would it really offer that much change to my current view of the game?

Tech used to be a variant rule? Would be awesome to have that yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is different. Production values are different. There is strategic bombing and AA. There is artillery. There are cruisers. There is naval bombardment. Factories can be built and production can be done in other locations. Those are some of the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raneern Brick
msg tools
In 1942 1st edition (which is available on amazon for 27 euros) there is everything that's in the second edition except it has a smaller board (I haven't seen the 2nd edition board up close - that's for tomorrow - so I don't know how much smaller the 1st is), real industrial complexes (not carboard ones), and AA guns instead of AAA guns (country generic vs country specific).

Basically 1941 is for the beginner for 25-30 dollars, 1942 #1 is for beginner/intermediate person for 25-30 dollars, 1942 #2 is for intermediate for 50-65 dollars, 1940 is for advanced for (once the 2nd editions come out) 160-180 dollars. For you I'd say 1942 #1 or, if you want to have a more advanced version, 1942 #2 (it's a 30 dollar difference for a bigger board, AAA guns, and different sculpts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also look at the technology levels that are used in Axis&Allies Anniversary and just apply them to the A&A42 2nd Ed game. You could also add the national advantages found in those rules.

http://www.wizards.com/AvalonHill/rules/AxAl-AnEd_Rules.pdf

If you are really wanting to make A&A41 more interesting, you could add strategic bombing with AA and naval bombardment pretty easily.

If you are willing to spend a few dollars, you could buy cruiser units and artillery units from HistoricalBoardgaming.com pretty inexpensively and use the rules (available online) for purchasing them and playing them.

Artillery cost 4, attack/defend at 2, move 1, and modify one paired infantry so they attack at 2 as well.

Cruisers cost 12 (should consider lowering that for AA41 to 9 or 10) attack/defend at 3, move 2, and can also do naval bombardment.

Strategic bombing is done by bombers only. Fly them into a territory with a factory and announce that they are "strategic bombing". The defender gets to roll one d6 against each bomber and score a hit on a 1. All surviving bombers then get to roll one d6 each and apply the result as damage to the factory. Damage reduces the number of units that can be manufactured by the amount of damage sustained on a 1:1 basis. Damage is removed by paying 1$/damage.

So, there are a few ways to make A&A41 more interesting, but they may unbalance the game. Although these are pretty standard things in the other game, I have not tried this in A&A41. The strategic bombing may really be a problem, I don't know. I don't think that naval bombardment or adding artillery and cruisers would make the game out of balance.

That being said, I think that the game is currently balanced in favor of the Axis defeating the Soviets by turn 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Ruys
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the contributions.

Thanks for the info George, next game we'll probably try something out, but it seems getting 1942 is the best bet after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.