CM Boyd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
So... the only option I've seen in replying to a a thread is replying to someone directly or quoting them, is there a button somewhere that I'm missing that allows you to post more generally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The REPLY button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Replying just puts your post at the end of the list. There is no threading here.

On a related note, quoting is the only way for people to know exactly who you are replying to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Boyd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
So is the subject line visible for other people? Or just for me? Or does everybody just go ahead and delete the subject line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
cmboyd wrote:
So is the subject line visible for other people? Or just for me? Or does everybody just go ahead and delete the subject line?

I think it only shows up if it is different from the original. In practice, I don't change it or read it.

edit: It also seems to show on the last post of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
TEST
When I started on BGG I had the exact same quandary.

Note the word TEST is my subject line. No real reason why you'd change it. You cannot change the subject line for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmboyd wrote:

If you view the the complete thread, the subject line only shows up in posts where it's different from the thread subject (like now in monkeyhandz' post).

In addition, if you follow a link to specific post, the subject is always visible in that article, so you don't have to scroll to the top to see it. That's why you see it on your own article after you posted it, since that article is highlighted.

If you follow this link to rshipleys post in this thread, the subject is shown in his post, but not in yours.

Don't delete the subject line. Just leave it unchanged, unless you have a reason to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Replying just puts your post at the end of the list. There is no threading here.

Technically, there is. Or rather there could be - but Aldie prefers to use flat threads. Each post does contain a replyto_id that identifies the post it replied to. (link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Boyd
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks Werner, that clarifies the confusion I was having. Everything makes much more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is subscribed to a thread, and you reply with a changed subject, that new subject will appear in the list of thread subscriptions and they may be somewhat confused as to what thread that was and when they subscribed to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.