Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am often left after reading one of Grognads posts. Thinking that if I were only a little smarter I would understand that something really profound had been said.

Is it a code? Maybe a secret language shared with a twin sibling while locked in an attic someplace?

The Challenge
Help me understand what what is underpinning the Grognadese literary form. I don't think it is as simple making your type three different colors then adding "wherefore" to the end of the paragraph.

Maybe you all could take a familiar statement like:
"The rain in Spain. Stays mainly in the plain." Translate it into Grognadese. Then explain how and why you did it the way you did. I'm not even going to try it I can't. But maybe some of you guys that have been here longer can.

The Reward
The intellectual pursuit of understanding and truth is its own reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to address this in your other thread, but I believe that I fell miserably short in the attempt.

Two things you can say about Robert: A.) his posts are ALWAYS interesting, and B.) he is definitely a storehouse of knowledge from way back when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are diving into a rabbit hole that can only end in madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
I tried to address this in your other thread, but I believe that I fell miserably short in the attempt.

Yeah that's what made me think of trying to crowd source the question with this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
You are diving into a rabbit hole that can only end in madness.

Hmm so you're saying Grognad is some how related to Cthulhu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I am often left after reading one of Grognads posts. Thinking that if I were only a little smarter I would understand that something really profound had been said.

I think this is your problem. Grognads posts are more like zen koans:
Koans are also understood as pointers to an unmediated "Pure Consciousness", devoid of cognitive activity. [Wikipedia]

You experience Grognads posts. You meditate on them. You do not try to understand them with your logical brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read GroGnad's koans while listening to this, enlightenment will surely illuminate your soul. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys talking about grognaRds...? Or is there some role-playing thing called a a grognad? Just wondering.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that GroGnad is somehow related to this famous american female writer. IMHO the reference to Napoleon is a clear sign that this poem is really all about wargames and wargamers, cleverly disguised as an innocuous text concerning a XX century painter (but let's not forget Guernica, eh ?). whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You know, that 'video' got 'moi' wondering just HOW does "sign language" depict somebody's NAME? Would these just spell that O-U-T-? Perhaps, attribute several other words regarding that particular person in defining them?

robot ~"Much of the 'annual precipitation' upon the predominant occupant for the Iberian peninsula were delivered unto their non-mountainous region where it saturates that indiscriminately, at least within THIS 'dimension' predominately..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Wouldn't it be easier if we just asked Robert for his medications list? (Wink.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunner Joe wrote:
Are you guys talking about grognaRds...? Or is there some role-playing thing called a a grognad? Just wondering.....

That's what I thought originally, too.

But then I thought,

"If GROGnads had a twin brother, would his name be WHISKEYdick?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard from a reliable source Mr. Wesley is in fact a renegade Nepalese monk channeling a bicameral caveman with a strong visual hallucinations direct from the "gods". whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

robot ~"Much of the 'annual precipitation' upon the predominant occupant for the Iberian peninsula were delivered unto their non-mountainous region where it saturates that indiscriminately, at least within THIS 'dimension' predominately..."

Ok, so here we have it, allegedly from the horses mouth! I say allegedly because in context of the test statement "The rain in Spain, stays mainly in the plain." It immediately, on the surface makes complete sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

Ok, so here we have it, allegedly from the horses mouth! I say allegedly because in context of the test statement "The rain in Spain, stays mainly in the plain." It immediately, on the surface makes complete sense.

Competition over. No further submissions needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Grognads is like litmus paper, only he shows up people who take themselves and this forum too seriously. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Talk Like Grognads Day

It has been my privilege to speak with Robert (a.k.a. GROGnads) on the telephone.

He is, using the standards by which a typical wargame player is judged, quite normal.

Talking? He is 100% effective.

Internet communication? Epic fail.

After I lost my secret decoder ring back in 2009 almost everything he posts on BGG has been Klingon hieroglyphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

Competition over. No further submissions needed.

No way, there has to be at least as much potential material here as the counter clipping thread. As well I am not convinced that the alleged Grognad response is not in fact some sort of elaborate bogus, hoax. It's just too easy. Sort of like saying Oswald shot Kennedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Grognads is like litmus paper, only he shows up people who take themselves and this forum too seriously. cool

So you are saying Grognads is like the Coyote trickster of Navajo legend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I decline to participate. There can only be one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

So you are saying Grognads is like the Coyote trickster of Navajo legend?

No GROGnads is much older than that. The ancients from the hidden land of Mu under the Himalayan Mountains had much ancient technology that we have yet to discover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I can't speak in colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I can't speak in colors.

I'm sure, if the dice are bad enough, your speech can be quite colorful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only Google would add GROGnads->English on translate.google.com then all would be well in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.