Hide
4 Posts

Carrom» Forums » Rules

Subject: A piece jumps off board - what happens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E. K.
msg tools
I have found some rulesets which say that any piece jumping off the board is a foul and leads to penalty. But I didn't find such rules in the ICF laws. So, what happens if I want to play by ICF rules? Is it so that men/queen are just placed to the board and game continues as if they naturally traveled there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The active player loses initiative and the piece is replaced on the board as close as possible to the center of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. K.
msg tools
OK. To be exact, I found only one rule pertaining to coins going overboard (except the rules about positioning the coins back to the board): "116) While taking a stroke, if the Striker jumps over the C/B, the turn of the player shall continue if he pockets his own C/m and/or Queen in that stroke." I understand it means that the Striker jumping over has no effect at all to the game.

Then there are some special cases.

1. The queen is pocketed but a coin jumps off. The queen can't be covered, so should it be taken back to the board? What if it's covered with the same stroke?

2. The last coin of the active player is pocketed, but a coin of the opponent jumps off. Does the player win? I would guess yes, because losing his turn wouldn't have effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. K.
msg tools
3. The last coin of the opponent is pocketed, but a player's own coin jumps off.

In each case I would apply general rules in this way: before anything else is done, the jumped coins are put back. The player can't continue. Therefore, after a stroke, the coins are just put back and the game continues as if they had "naturally traveled" there, except that the player can't continue. If his last piece went off, it's back in the game and the game continues. If the opponent's last piece went off, it's back in the game and the game continues. Only after that it's decided whether it was the last stroke of the board. It doesn't have direct effect on who wins or loses or how much.

Can anyone confirm these interpretations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.