Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bensman
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have a few questions regarding the Zombicide rules

1. Can a survivor search a room another survivor has searched. That is, can all of the survivors each search all of the rooms in a given building. Or is it that once a room is searched then it can’t be searched again by anyone?

2. When using a shotgun firing into a zone with a survivor and say two walkers in it do you
a. roll two dice and always assign the first wound to the survivor. And the second wound to either of the two walkers or do you

b. call your targets as you roll each of the shotgun’s two dice, calling the survivor first. If that die misses then you call another walker as the next target rolling a dice for it? Which situation obtains?

3. If you and another survivor are in the same square with walkers and you use a ranged weapon do the same rules apply as in question 2?

4. If you and another survivor are in the same square with walkers and you use a melee weapon can you simply always call your targets or must you follow the same targeting priorities as if you were using a ranged weapon?

The Sawed off shotgun card has a notation that says 1 action to reload. I get that part, but then it says “free if in end phase” What is the “end phase?

Thank you for you assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strait Pazos
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
1.Yes, you can search in the same room as many times as you want, but only once per turn per survivor.

2. Not 100% sure on this one but I think you roll all the dice, assign all the necessary hits to kill the survivor and the rest to the zombies on that zone (with the usual targeting order). Ie, if you score 3 hits, assign 2 to the survivor and the remaining to zombies.

3. Yep, if you fire a ranged weapon I think that targeting priority applies.

4. You roll the dice and then choose the targets.

The "End phase" is just after the zombies turn. It's when you remove noise tokens and when you give the first player token to the next player.

Hope I helped, and correct me if I made a mistake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Gorbacz
msg tools
1. As far as I could tell from the rules, you can continue searching the same room, even after someone else has searched it. Be careful, the longer you take searching, the more zombies will be waiting for you in the streets! It looks like Pimp cars can only be searched once.

2. If you're firing a ranged weapon into an occupied zone, it resolves in this order 1. Survivor (you can definitely kill a lone survivor in the zone with your shotgun blast) 2. Walkers 3. Fatty/Abomination 4. Runners
You can't call your shots without having a Sniper ability

3. Same rules if you're firing a 0 range weapon into a zone you and another survivor occupy.

4. Melee combat with other actors in the same zone, you can call your shots.

5. I believe that it means that you can use 3 actions to fire, reload, fire - and can fire again in your next phase without having to use an action to reload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Searching is completely unrelated to the rooms themselves. Every survivor can perform a single search action every turn, as long as they're inside a building or next to a car and there are no zombies with them.

2. Before you move on to the next type in the targeting priority list, you must eliminate all members of the previous type. So all survivors must be killed before the first walker takes a hit.

b. Don't follow. You can't call your targets with a ranged attack. Just follow the targeting priority list.

3. Yep. Ranged attack is ranged attack, even if performed at range 0.

4. Melee attacks can always choose their targets and do not use the targeting priority list.

You'll always start the Players' Turn with all the shotguns loaded, even if you didn't reload them in the previous turn.

EDIT: Man, we're a lean, mean, rules answering machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatroubleshootah wrote:

2. When using a shotgun firing into a zone with a survivor and say two walkers in it do you
a. roll two dice and always assign the first wound to the survivor. And the second wound to either of the two walkers or do you

b. call your targets as you roll each of the shotgun’s two dice, calling the survivor first. If that die misses then you call another walker as the next target rolling a dice for it? Which situation obtains?

I think you may be confusing hits and wounds. Roll the dice for the weapon, and count the number of hits. They get applied to other survivors first, then walkers, then fatties and abominations, then runners. You don't move to the next on the list until everything before it on the list is dead.

Each hit does an amount of damage according to the weapon's damage score. You apply each hit separately, i.e. it takes a weapon that does two damage to kill a fatty - you can't kill one with two one-point hits.

You can only call targets if you are firing a rifle + scope or the firing character has the Sniper skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strait Pazos
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Hahaha. Loophole Master, you are my idol. I can always count on you when I have a doubt about this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan O'Toole
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
thatroubleshootah wrote:

1. Can a survivor search a room another survivor has searched. That is, can all of the survivors each search all of the rooms in a given building. Or is it that once a room is searched then it can’t be searched again by anyone?

yes, because there's plenty of rubble in the room to search through, including that pile of rags over there, why don't you go search that pile of rags, really, it's fine.

thatroubleshootah wrote:

You roll 2 dice, and determine how many hit based on the accuracy of the weapon, in this case 4+. Then, you assign hits according to ranged priority (Survivor -> Walker -> Fatty/Abomination -> Runner), being sure that you kill all targets of lower priority before moving onto the next priority. So if the survivor has no wounds on them, and you got 2 hits, congrats you killed the survivor and the zombies are still alive. If the survivor already had a wound on them and you score 2 hits, then you kill off the survivor, and then you assign the other hit to the walker killing it off, as well. The only time you can ignore priority is if you have the sniper skill, or the sniper rifle.

thatroubleshootah wrote:
3. If you and another survivor are in the same square with walkers and you use a ranged weapon do the same rules apply as in question 2?

Yup, you will have to shoot and kill the other survivor in the zone before you can make progress on the zombies, just like the example on the bottom right of pg 13 in the rules.

thatroubleshootah wrote:
4. If you and another survivor are in the same square with walkers and you use a melee weapon can you simply always call your targets or must you follow the same targeting priorities as if you were using a ranged weapon?

Nope. Roll all dice allowed for your melee action, and then assign all hits as you so desire, wherever you want them to go. No ranged priority here.

thatroubleshootah wrote:
The Sawed off shotgun card has a notation that says 1 action to reload. I get that part, but then it says “free if in end phase” What is the “end phase?

At the end of your turn, the shotgun reloads automatically. This means with 3 actions, you can shoot the sawed off, reload the sawed off, shoot the sawed off, and then it reloads for free at the end of your turn. However, if you have 4 actions, and were to shoot, reload, shoot, and then for the 4th pass the shotgun to another survivor, since you no longer have the sawed off during your end phase, they would receive an unloaded shotgun and have to reload it as an action before they could shoot it on their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zomgduck wrote:
yes, because there's plenty of rubble in the room to search through, including that pile of rags over there, why don't you go search that pile of rags, really, it's fine.

Oh thanks for the advice! I bet there's one of those cool chainsaws under this pile of rags, just let me grab this... AAAHH!

Just a little correction, the free reload happens at the end of the entire Players' Phase, not at the end of your turn. So if you fire a shotgun and hand it over to another survivor, on his turn it will still be unloaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatroubleshootah wrote:

It's 1 search per survivor per turn. It doesn't state anything about per room. So yeah, all the survivors can search the same room, or one survivor can search a room multiple times (as long it's over multiple turns).

thatroubleshootah wrote:

The way I read it is: Roll 2D6 (both at the same time). Apply hits to Survivors first. Only if you have hits left over (after killing any survivors) do you apply those to zombies.

Or in other words, Never, Ever, shoot into a zone with a survivor in it, unless they're about to die anyway.

thatroubleshootah wrote:

Yes.

thatroubleshootah wrote:

You may pick your target freely when using melee weapons.

thatroubleshootah wrote:

I believe it means 'last action' - so a survivor in with 3 actions can shoot, reload, shoot (taking all 3 actions) and then get's a free reload, but a survivor in with 4 actions would shoot, reload, shoot, reload (for all 4 actions), or do something else for the first action, and then shoot, reload, shoot, get free reload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you people type so fast!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

thatroubleshootah wrote:

I believe it means 'last action' - so a survivor in with 3 actions can shoot, reload, shoot (taking all 3 actions) and then get's a free reload, but a survivor in with 4 actions would shoot, reload, shoot, reload (for all 4 actions), or do something else for the first action, and then shoot, reload, shoot, get free reload.

I'm pretty certain it means you get a free load during the 4th phase of play - "End Of Turn" when you're cleaning up the noise tokens and passing the First Player token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

thatroubleshootah wrote:

I'm pretty certain it means you get a free load during the 4th phase of play - "End Of Turn" when you're cleaning up the noise tokens and passing the First Player token.

Ah, maybe you're right - so with 4 actions, you could shoot, reload, shoot, do something else, and still get a reload.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I played it that way the other night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Cochran
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you hit a survivor with a 2 damage weapon, do you do 2 damage to them (2 wounds) per hit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is a good thing. If you are shooting at a survivor you have given up on him, so he might as well die with a single hit so that you're left with more hits for the zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bensman
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
So let me get this straight.

If i am shooting a ranged weapon into a square with survivors and zombies I must kill every survivor before I can kill any zombies? Doesn't this mean if I am shooting a ranged weapon at a zombie in my own zone I will incur wounds before he does?

Also after turn one who gets the first player token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatroubleshootah wrote:
So let me get this straight.

If i am shooting a ranged weapon into a square with survivors and zombies I must kill every survivor before I can kill any zombies? Doesn't this mean if I am shooting a ranged weapon at a zombie in my own zone I will incur wounds before he does?

Also after turn one who gets the first player token?

No.

Player to the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bensman
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
no to which part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a "no" to wounding yourself...You are right in thinking that when using a ranged weapon you will kill any Survivors before taking out any Zombies that are in the same zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Marx
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never hit yourself with ranged weapons.

Unless you can throw the Molotov at your feet? I don't have the cards in front of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the only way to kill yourself is with a Molotov. Firing into your own Zone kills every other survivor, but not the attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bensman
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Ok so we played the first scenario after the tutorial and I have a few questions. it seemed like we used too many zombies even though it looked like we followed the rules. we spawned at every spawn point and in every room of every building we opened up. Very quickly we were mobbed and all dead except for one player who had the slippery trait. the game also took three hours to play through and we used almost every zombie in the kickstarter pack. Did we do something wrong or is that how it is supposed to go? Also is the room you start in locked or can you open that door for free and can you search the first room you are in?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
thatroubleshootah wrote:
Ok so we played the first scenario after the tutorial and I have a few questions. it seemed like we used too many zombies even though it looked like we followed the rules.

We've played two scenarios so far where we've run out of a given type of zombie when requested (and that's using the Abomination pack zombies as well). It's a very dangerous circumstance because all zombies of that type then get an immediate action. That's some extra incentive to try and keep the zombie mob thinned, though once someone gets to red it's nearly impossible.

Quote:
we spawned at every spawn point and in every room of every building we opened up. Very quickly we were mobbed and all dead except for one player who had the slippery trait.

Yep, that's correct, and it is certainly easy to get overwhelmed if you're not careful, or just unlucky. Remember that even when populating rooms, the official rules say you should obey the sewer and "extra activation" cards if they come up.

Quote:
the game also took three hours to play through and we used almost every zombie in the kickstarter pack. Did we do something wrong or is that how it is supposed to go?

Yep, depending on the scenario it can easily take three hours. The "1 Hour" time listed on the game box is way off for many scenarios. Scenario 2, in contrast, will probably only take you a handful of turns and you'll end with all your characters still in the blue.

Quote:
Also is the room you start in locked or can you open that door for free and can you search the first room you are in?

Yes, the initial room in Scenario 1 is locked, so you have to crowbar/fireaxe your way out (or with whatever other weapons you might find through searching there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bensman
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
so, what is the best strategy for beating scenario one with five players? It looked pretty unwinable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
thatroubleshootah wrote:
so, what is the best strategy for beating scenario one with five players? It looked pretty unwinable to me.

Luck, and getting all the buildings opened at least before you get into the orange danger zone. It helps if you accidentally cheat by not noticing the sewer cards when they come up, and not realizing that you were supposed to play the "extra move" cards when populating buildings, as I did on my first (and so far only successful) run through. :) We had also gotten pretty lucky with weapon searching, and pretty much all the characters had at least a decent melee and ranged weapon to play with by the time the zombies got ridiculous.

Your luck with searching can really affect how a scenario goes - on last night's run of Scenario 4, poor Dave (while still holding only his starting Pan) had a zombie sprung on him four times in a row while searching a police car. The last one managed to wound him before support could make it over there, thus depriving him of even the pan! He was still stuck in the blue when Nick made it to red after plowing through countless zombies in that previously-zombie-ridden police car. :) (Never fear, though - he did manage to find a chainsaw and redeem himself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.