Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Is someone already planning on implementing A:NR in vassal or some similar program? With the amount of people on BGG alone that seem interested it would be nice if we could game online as well as offline. Especially if there are people that are interested in the game but have no one to play with head-to-head. It would be a shame if they should miss out on the fun.

I cant find a topic concerning vassal if one such already exists so please guide me in case it exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parallel question:

Has FFG ever offered online play for any of their other LCG titles?

I would happily pay a one-time fee for such a thing though I would be leery of a subscription model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question is:
how have companies dealt with this in the past? I guess we couldn't use the official art, but do they mind if we use the names, text and mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Relevant thread at the official forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Dollinger
Germany
Aichach
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Edit: been ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From experience, designing VASSAL modules that handle cards well is a real chore. This OCTGN thing sounds intriguing, but until it runs natively on MacOS, I'll be on the sidelines.

(yes, I know about emulation or virtual machines, I just don't want to bother with them just for a small gaming utility)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Parallel question:

Has FFG ever offered online play for any of their other LCG titles?

I would happily pay a one-time fee for such a thing though I would be leery of a subscription model.

No

kingjames01 wrote:
Another question is:
how have companies dealt with this in the past? I guess we couldn't use the official art, but do they mind if we use the names, text and mechanics?

Typically if you want FFG to be OK with it you have to make anything released in the last 6 months be obfuscated in some way. Normally that is done by either not releasing things until they have been out for 6 months or cropping the gametext off of the cards if you keep the releases current.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. I'm the developer of the Netrunner plugin on OCTGN (http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=361) and I'm absolutely going to port Android to it. It's going to be soon after launch as well, since I already have the engine and I just need to get the new sets and run a quick conversion of the terms and rules (i.e. tracing etc)

Take a look at the plugin in OCTGN to see what's in store.

As for FFG, they've been cool with it, as others mentioned as long as you censor the cards for 6 months after release or so. We already have 2 FFG ccgs on OCTGN, AGOT and CoC so that has been no problem until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
kingjames01 wrote:
Another question is:

Typically if you want FFG to be OK with it you have to make anything released in the last 6 months be obfuscated in some way. Normally that is done by either not releasing things until they have been out for 6 months or cropping the gametext off of the cards if you keep the releases current.

Given that much of the interaction a run occurs in the game text, that sounds like a PITA.

6 months = 183 days... Start the clock Jack Bauer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Individuals can always replace the scans with the full ones. I would just be frowned-upon if we actually distributed those. Mind you, I don't even know for sure if it's 6 months. Maybe it's less.

In any case, it's not as big a deal as it sounds. it's meant to ensure that people have bought the cards, but in the age of the internet, finding the text of your cards is one google search away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Im happy to hear that FFG are willing to let their games online with 'only' six months delay. Many people might complain that the internet makes a lot of information available for free, but I don't think anyone who makes a good product lose money from exposure. Only those that make crappy products, intended to lure more than appease.

That's why the pop industry is complaining so much about piracy and the real musicians and good authors are having a blast with it.

I'm confident that if an online version of netrunner became popular, many more people would buy the physical game as well. It's so good. How can you not? (as long as they don't screw the balance in an upcoming expansion that is...)

I'm really looking forward to some of the online versions of netrunner. It'd be nice to play against some of the BGG guys.

also: Holy cow Batman if the online card database will let you build decks and export them to a file format that suits one of the online gamess well, deck construction becomes a breeze!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best system for playing card games online would be MWS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nichols
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know that "protecting" their IP by prohibiting distribution of images is really the right way to go... Some companies (WotC and AEG) actually post the images themselves in printable formats (at least, AEG's are easily printable) simply because it's a big financial problem for most people to have to buy all the cards you could possibly need in order to playtest. (Which for Netrunner means buying 3 base sets, at present... Which I personally find egregious given the relatively small number of distinct cards in the set.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People need to make a living. They provide a distinct service for the company and the company provides a product at a cost which allows them to continue to pay their employees and produce new games.

I find all complaints about wanting the benefit of additional sets without wanting to pay for the privilege to be the very epitome of first world problems and have no sympathy for them.

Buy the games for the cards needed or don't play the cards. LCG's are the cheapest customizable card game format I've run across and people are still treating it as if it was $40 for a single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:

I find all complaints about wanting the benefit of additional sets without wanting to pay for the privilege to be the very epitome of first world problems and have no sympathy for them..

Who are you replying to exactly? Is there a strawman around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this was intended to be posted in another thread. I had two windows open and started typing in the wrong one. My apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nichols
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Soon they're going to be cranking out little $15 packs that are smaller than a starter deck, extremely regularly, which everyone effectively needs to buy in order to keep up with the game. They're going to make a killing on those. For a game that is going to be primarily played in living rooms as opposed to in an active tournament scene, it doesn't make sense to spend CCG levels of money to keep up with a game that just isn't supported in anywhere near the same way.

For online play, however, I think it's a bit silly for people to be able to play completely free, IF people are actually playing online instead of buying the game. From what I understand, however, other companies (AEG, for example) seem to be in favor of free/cheap online/phone app play as a way to promote the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mb
it is finally done !!!
;)

Android Netrunner VASSAL module 1.1

Unfortunately, there is no peeking. But there is a neutral hand to that purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the age of Jinteki/OCTGN, is there still any demand for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mb
Unfortunately, none of the platforms can save the match.
I think, the controls/management of OCTGN is rather complicated. (especially for beginners)
If you disconnect from Jinteki your match will be lost (and there is no UNDO). :(

so in my opinion VASSAL is the best choice for casual gamers (if it has peek option and larger corp board)
:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Torell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Android:Netrunner videos: http://www.peachhack.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. Jinteki.net is the best choice for casual gamers simply because there is absolutely no software necessary to install. All you do is go to Jinteki.net and start playing. The barrier to entry is extremely low.

Jinteki.net isn't perfect, but it's getting better every day. At this time last year it was nearly unusable, but in that time it has quickly become a major platform for Netrunner players to play online.

Match saving and undo are nice features, to be sure, but it's really tough to beat the raw convenience of Jinteki.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mb
no reconnect (frequently disconnect)
no save
no undo
=> unreliable :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron heuvel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sequor wrote:
no reconnect (frequently disconnect)
no save
no undo
=> unreliable

Sometimes the server gets a bit laggy wonky, just log of then.
But for the last month or 2-3 its been pretty stable.
I haven't had a disconnect in the last 50-70 games i played there

No save. i really dont see the point in that ? games dont last that long. and your playing against a real person not AI, so when are u gonna continu ? otherwise just make a screenshot and remake that game when u want. Shouldnt be more then a minute of work.

There isnt a general undo button. But u can undo virtually anything manually. And this is a game of think first twice, then do once

I really do feel your selling jinteki short. Atleast i've enjoyed it quite a lot and spent a great deal of time on int
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.