Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so, I had another thread I posted that was in regards to a very specific part of this idea, however, as I've continued to roll it around in my head, I think I am going to need a bit more input, so, it seemed reasonable to make a place where I can dump all of my questions.

Hopefully something good can come from all this!

So, first, a little background.

This idea began when browsing the Wings of Glory entry here on BGG. It eventually led me to a Geeklist that contained mention of a Quidditch re-skin of the game.

My wife, upon me mentioning it, was immediately intrigued. She is usually not very interested in tactical games, but said that she would actually be really excited to play that particular one. (This is also a woman who, despite having zero interest in most directly competitive strategy games, ranks War of the Ring as her #1 favorite game simply due to the theme, so, I knew the general idea of dressing up a wargame as something else could work.)

Unfortunately for me, there seemed to be zero trace of the game on the internet, other than the single photo from the Geeklist.

So, I decided I'd try to re-create it using the Wings of Glory rules.

That was where the first snag was hit--with 7 players on each side of the field, using Wings of Glory, or even X-Wing rules, would have been incredibly slow.

This caused me to switch to the idea of a hex-grid for the field. From there though, its become a puzzle to figure out just how to handle the movement.

The current idea I'm playing with is a bid system. Each broom (what I'll be using to referring to the Quidditch players, as "player" would likely just get confusing) has a certain maximum movement allowance, based on class (Seeker, Chaser, Beater, or Keeper).

Every turn, the players secretly make a bid for each of their brooms, and then reveal them once all have been placed. The brooms then move from highest bid to lowest, with ties being broken first by class, (Seeker > Chaser > Beater > Keeper) and then by possession of the Quaffle. The amount of movement is equal to the amount of the bid.

Once all brooms have moved, that concludes Round 1, and then, going in reverse, the brooms spend the rest of their movement.

This allows for offense and defense to play a game of wits with each other, as while bidding high allows you to move first, bidding low allows you to react to your opponent's moves.

The secondary option, is a single playbook deck for each team. These cards would essentially control the whole team on a single card, and players would play these face down and then reveal simultaneously. The cards would cover initiative, movement, and any special conditions applied to the team.

An example would be:

Take the Shot!
Initiative - Position - movement - condition
(3) Seeker - 4 - none
(4) Chaser - 5/3/3 - If a Chaser shoots this turn, they get an extra dice
(2) Beater - 2/2 - none
(1) Keeper - none
*Global Bonuses could go here like "All players get an extra dice to dodge Bludgers this turn" or something*

This would change the game a bit from unit-level to more commander-level. It would also require an epic ton more work for me, ha. But that might be worth it if the method of movement seemed that much better.

So, that's the current dilemma! I'd love any opinions I can get on it. I'll post a bit more, regarding fouls and scoring mechanics later, but I figure I should probably end this post before it gets too much longer.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I look forward to seeing how you translate the game to the tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.