Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Vandelay
Canada
100 Mile House
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it 3 times last night, and lost them all, quite convincingly.
Very very fun though. I can see this quickly becoming my favorite co-op, ahead of defenders of the realm (which I also had an insanely hard time winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I love that people are having such a hard time winning!

I love it because I was worried the game would be too easy - because I usually win when I play. I am hoping this means that more experienced players = a higher win percentage, which is as it should be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
I love that people are having such a hard time winning!

I love it because I was worried the game would be too easy - because I usually win when I play. I am hoping this means that more experienced players = a higher win percentage, which is as it should be!

Galen, do you have any suggestions for those of us who do not like our games to be so punishing?

I was thinking that we substitute the Athenian Die with a D3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jobin13 wrote:
Galen, do you have any suggestions for those of us who do not like our games to be so punishing?

I was thinking that we substitute the Athenian Die with a D3?

Try harder!

But seriously, a few things you could do to make the game easier:

1 Remove the Controlled Flood misfortune cards
2 Begin the game with 2 or 3 mystic energy per player
3 Start the Athenian Ship on the 2-3 player start for a 4-6 player game
4 Remove the Power Core (just choose 3 components from three decks to build)

Or try rolling a d3, like you suggest!

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Greuel
Benin
Dulles
Virginia
msg tools
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16
badge
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." -Mark 16:16
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been talking about reducing the amount of components to build based on how many players there are. 10 is a lot for two people, but we did come very close to victory when we played this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Lausus wrote:
My wife and I have been talking about reducing the amount of components to build based on how many players there are. 10 is a lot for two people, but we did come very close to victory when we played this morning.

Keep trying! My wife and I win 2 player more often than not - I'm guessing the more you play the better you will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stofke mannaert
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us the most frustrating part of the game was rolling for resources.
It will make the game more easy, but less more frustrating if you use the "stone age resource gathering system", meaning if you put 2 "workers" on a field where a dice roll of 4 is required, you roll 2 dice, let's say you roll a 2 and a 3, which gives you 5, you get 1 resource.

Didn't play it this way yet, but I'm convinced I'll like it better this way, let's call it a house-rule

We spend tons of workers to get only few resources, which (like I already said) became frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stofke wrote:
For us the most frustrating part of the game was rolling for resources.
It will make the game more easy, but less more frustrating if you use the "stone age resource gathering system", meaning if you put 2 "workers" on a field where a dice roll of 4 is required, you roll 2 dice, let's say you roll a 2 and a 3, which gives you 5, you get 1 resource.

Didn't play it this way yet, but I'm convinced I'll like it better this way, let's call it a house-rule

We spend tons of workers to get only few resources, which (like I already said) became frustrating.

I agree. Our last game was pure frustration in that no matter which area we picked (in a two player game) we didnt get any resources from sinking components due to bad luck on card draws. Random bad luck can wreak havok and its frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
We had all thought we were totally sunk too, at first.

But then we realized that we got our people back after sending them out to the navy. Man, this game would be impossible if one had to constantly get new characters every round.

After this, we thought we couldn't lose. It came close, but we won.
We might have missed something else, though, if you all think it is difficult. We played with the recommended first play set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.