6 Posts

Flash Duel: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using abilities while recovering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ján Hric
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The rules say that a player can't take any actions or play any abilities on a turn while he's recovering. (There's one obvious exception: Setsuki's Speed of the Fox.)
I'd like to know whether this applies to his own turn only or takes effect immediately after his retreat.
For example in a 2vs2 game I dashing strike Grave and he retreats. Then Grave's teammate takes his/her turn. Then my teammate attacks Grave who is still in recovery. Can Grave use his Martial Mastery now (which can be played when someone attacks him) or is he forbidden to do so because he is recovering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Not 100% confident about this but this is what I got from looking at the rulebook:

*The rules explicitly say you can't use abilities while recovering, so the question then is when "recovering" officially begins and ends. The rulebook just says "When an opponent retreats, he must recover next turn", which in 1v1 seems to actually mean "on his next turn."

But it gets more complicated in 2v2. The rules say you cannot dashing block while you are recovering. But you only dashing block on a turn that is not your own, so that seems to imply that "recovering" isn't just confined to your own turn. So from that it sounds to me like "Recovery" begins immediately after you retreat, and you aren't done recovering until you've skipped your turn, leaving you unable to use abilities or dashing block until that point.

Like I said, not super confident about that though. Hopefully Sirlin can chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
It makes the most sense if retreating puts you in the recovering state right away and that you stay in that state until you skip your turn. That's how the online version at fantasystrike.com will be, which we are working on right now.

If a card specifically says you can do it while recovering though, you can. Speed of the Fox and Pilebunker are both examples that let you do something when normally you wouldn't be able to. You can't dashing block until your recovery ends though, and you can't do an ability like Rock Armor either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ján Hric
Slovakia
flag msg tools
That's how I like it. Thank you both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ján Hric
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Sorry for bothering you again so soon but another question popped up in my head. This time it involves skipping turns (in combination with recovering).

If a player lands on the landmine token after retreating, does skipping his next turn also mean that he stays in recovery or does he just skip refilling his hand?
The same could be asked about Vendetta's Stunlock.

And if Onimaru skips his turn, does he get to move his clockwork soldier token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
No problem. If you retreat, then get hit by Stunlock or Landmine, you'll skip your next turn (meaning you don't redraw cards). You're back to normal after that though, so you'll be able to take actions on the turn following your skipped turn.

If Onimaru must skip is his turn, he can't move his clockwork soldier on his skipped turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.