Popular Tags: [View All]
A LEX ANDER
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hi
I was playing my friend.
He played Targaryen, I played Stark.
He had the location Scorched Earth http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/1281901798/med_gall...in play, which reads:
Non-Army char. do not count their STR during the first challenge initiated each round.
I had the location Borderland Keep http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/1281658345/med_gall...in play, which reads:
RESPONSE: Discard BK from play (cannot be saved) to cancel 1 effect triggered during M challenge.

Now I am a little torn between rules.
In short before the detailed explaination.
For me the initiation of the challenge, and the declaring of defenders would cause the game to trigger the scorched earth effect.
Both initiation and declaring are framework actions.

So now I have these contradicting explainations/rules.

1)
(3.10) Card Ability Types
Passive Abilities: Passive abilities must initiate when applicable. These abilities are identified by their card text, which indicates
when the ability initiates. Passive abilities are not affected by cards that prevent or cancel triggered effects or abilities.

2) FAQ 3.3 page 18
Framework Actions
E) Passive effects that are triggered due to
any of proceeding framework events are
initiated....(Both players
have the opportunity to save/cancel this effect
,...)

CAN I cancel this effect during a M challenge, or rather not?
"Framework resolution"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy answer. No, you can't, because it's not a Triggered effect.

I've seen this mentioned before, in reference to MTG, which I don't play...apparently, since SE would be "triggered" by the first challenge each round, in MTG that would be a triggered effect?

Not so in AGOT. Because the ability is always going to happen with no voluntary activation, in AGOT nomenclature, it's a Passive effect. Borderland Keep targets triggered effects, which would be preceded by something like "Challenges:" or "Response:". Basically anything with a boldfaced timing designation followed by a colon is a triggered effect, because it's the player's choice to "pull the trigger" so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.