Subject: Flag, and Colonizing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game in the mail...finally the reprint is out.

I have read through the rules and feel pretty good about all things except...

1) Does the person who buys the flag during auction play the first action, or the person who is historically first for the turn.

i.e. Red owns the flag and places is it on the board...Green places his 2....Yellow his 3 etc..

Yellow wins the flag!

Does red make the first action (historically first for this turn) or does yellow make the first action (new owner of the flag)

2) When colonizing you get to reveal 2 expedition cards to fish for colonists...Do these ALWAYS come from the deck or can you reveal two from your hand.

AND...if revealed from the deck do they automatically go to discard or do you get to keep them, if permitted (this question may be moot) if you can reveal from your hand have you in effect spent your expedition cards to colonize?

3) The rules are fairly vague about hand limit of expedition cards... some places it asks you to be careful of hand limit, where other places it tells you that you can be over said hand limit until you choose to upgrade the expediton track...

Am I correct in assuming I can ignore hand limit until I upgrade the expedition track?

What about the red expedition tile where you can draw one expediton card per round,...perhaps i just do this for the rest of the game and rack up a shit ton of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Baker
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3) You only check your hand limit when you take the draw an expedition card action; when you take that action you can't exceed your hand limit at any point during it, in other words you cannot a draw card to take you above your hand limit and then discard down to your hand limit.

Expedition cards you get outside of that you keep even if it takes you above your hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the new edition just last week and have only played twice so far but I think I can answer your questions (anyone can jump in and correct me if needed):

1) Yes, you are correct on No. 1. Whomever buys the flag picks up a free action card and starts the first action of the three action rounds (and any bonus actions rounds if applicable).

2) When colonizing, you first look at your Colonist track. Let's say you have 4 on that track. Then flip two cards (these range from 1-3 so going in you know the average card result will give you two each). Then you play from your own colonist cards(if needed) to reach the colonizing goal.

So if you were trying to colonize Madras (requires 10 colonists) and you had 4 from the track, and you drew a 1 from the deck and a 3 from the deck, you have now 8 total (those two cards come from the deck and go immediately to the discard pile). So you would now need to "spend" two more of your own colonists to get to 10 (4+1+3+2 = 10). If you can get to 10, you are successful on the colonizing effort. If you can't reach 10, then you fail but you receive a bonus "1" colonist to put into your play area as a consolation.

It's also important to note that you must declare which Colony you are trying to claim...if you declare Madras at 10 but only get 8, you can't then buy the 8 colony instead. In my few plays it looks like everyone tries to colonize in order from lowest to highest (6/8/10/12).

3) I had some trouble understanding this at first as well but now I get it. The hand limit only applies when you take the expedition action. If your marker is on the slot that allows a "4" hand limit, it's possible that you can have more than 4 expedition cards (cards that you may receive as bonuses via the tiles for example). So it seems like in many cases you may not what to take the expedition action if you already have more cards than the hand limit allows. You can progress on on the expedition card development track to earn more VPs for example, but if you already have plenty of cards, you would be better off not to take that action.

It's a great game!

EDITS: further clarification and a typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, after rereading the rule book and some posts I feel pretty good about rules 1 and 2.

3 still escapes me though...And it appears to confuse others as well, one of you says hand limit must always be obeyed and the other says differently....HELP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Please note that the flag is placed first, but then the 1, then 2, 3, etc.

This is wrong. The 1 chit goes on the flag. The player to the flag-holder's left puts his/her 2 chit on an adjacent tile, then the 3, etc. The flag-holder places the last chit (in a 4-player game, this is the 5 chit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
3 still escapes me though...And it appears to confuse others as well, one of you says hand limit must always be obeyed and the other says differently....HELP.

The key here is that there is a difference between taking an expedition card action and simply gaining expedition cards. When you take the expedition card action, your hand limit rules apply. For example, if you are at the 2/3 level of the expedition track, when you take an expedition card action you draw two cards but can never exceed the hand limit of three cards. So if you have 0-1 cards, you can draw 2 more. If you have 2 cards, you can play or discard one and draw 2 more or you can keep the 2 you have and draw only one. If you already have 3 or more cards in hand, you can't draw any more and may even have to discard some. That's why you shouldn't take the expedition card action if you are over your hand limit.

If, however, you do not take the expedition card action, you can have as many cards in hand as you can collect. For example, you might take a 2/4 level action to get your hand up to 4 cards, then use the "1 expedition card per turn" tile to gain one more card per turn for a few turns, and you might even get a card by being the first person to level 4 or 5 of another track. So you could potentially hold more than your hand limit of 4 cards. But if you ever took the expedition card action, you'd have to get back down to the limit and could not exceed it at any point during that action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, indeed, possible to end the game with 8 or more cards in hand, but remember that cards are extremely useful if you actually play them. The new rules make it hard to collect really valuable sets, so if you can use a card to gain 3 or 4 points on the board, it's probably better to use it than to keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Expedition cards during an Expedition Action: must all discards take place prior to drawing?

Example:

I have a hand of 4. I can draw 3 and keep 5.
May I:
Draw 1 (to 5)
Discard 1
Draw 1
Discard 1
Draw 1.

or if I want to draw 3 must I:
Discard 2
Draw 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
Regarding Expedition cards during an Expedition Action: must all discards take place prior to drawing?

Example:

I have a hand of 4. I can draw 3 and keep 5.
May I:
Draw 1 (to 5)
Discard 1
Draw 1
Discard 1
Draw 1.

or if I want to draw 3 must I:
Discard 2
Draw 3

The two examples in the rulebook certainly seem to indicate that you must do the latter. Your action is to draw three cards, not one card three times. No other action in the game can be broken up like that, so I don't see why a card action should be.

For example, if you only have five empty plantation spaces, and you are at the bottom of the harvest track, you cannot harvest 3 spices, use a card to sell those three, and then harvest 5 more to fill your plantations. You must accept a lesser harvest. I'd argue that the card action works the same way.

So in your example, you could simply draw 1 card and keep the original 4, or you could use 1 card, discard 1 card, and draw 3. Or you could discard 2 and draw 3. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Baker
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quotes from the rules:
Quote:
You can play 1 Expedition card per action: before, during or after your action (the same applies during extra actions).
When can Expedition cards be played? First, we must understand that there are two kinds of Expedition cards:
• Expedition cards that give a bonus: You can play these cards during your action. You play them before, during or after your
chosen action.
• Expedition cards that modify a specific action (with an A in the top corners): You can play these cards when you choose
the specific action.

Quote:
Important: Using an Expedition card is not an action! Expedition cards may be discarded at any time.

I don't think you have to discard all. I think you can draw a card then discard or play a card and still draw another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know im the OP here and posted the question, but I think I have to agree with Alex ("I play yellow", not sure on the name now that I went to a new window to type) I would assume that you draw both at the same time. Thus choosing to play a card before you draw (if you want to draw 2) Or discarding a card before you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this amends, but doesn't change, Alex's answer.

You still can't break up the draw of 3 to discard - but you can break it up to play a card (but not one you've drawn.)

I have 4 cards. I can draw 3, hold 5.

Legal:
Discard 1
Draw 2
Play 1 (from the original 4)
Draw 1

This might seem kinda hokey, but in an endgame situation where you're trying to collect symbols, you may want to see what cards you draw before you decide which you want to play or discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However, I am going to post a new question concerning expedition cards and the hand limit..

Pretty sure I understand that the hand limit applies when taking the expedition action to draw expedition cards....

i.e red chooses the expedition action and can draw the marked number of cards as long as he remains less than or equal to his hand limit...If he/she has too many cards, he/she must play his/her permitted one or discard down to a level acceptable for the number he/she wishes to draw.

This I'm good with. And pretty sure that this is the ONLY time that hand limit matters.

Here is my question...what about during expedition track upgrade? Does hand limit matter here? My gut says no, but I am just making sure.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Here is my question...what about during expedition track upgrade? Does hand limit matter here? My gut says no, but I am just making sure.

Hand limit DOES NOT matter during expedition track upgrade. Only during the expedition action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
However, I am going to post a new question concerning expedition cards and the hand limit..

Pretty sure I understand that the hand limit applies when taking the expedition action to draw expedition cards....

i.e red chooses the expedition action and can draw the marked number of cards as long as he remains less than or equal to his hand limit...If he/she has too many cards, he/she must play his/her permitted one or discard down to a level acceptable for the number he/she wishes to draw.

This I'm good with. And pretty sure that this is the ONLY time that hand limit matters.

So everything stated here is correct...If so, thank you, and I shall not be posting any new questions....until of course we log our first play and 3 of them come up....( but I feel pretty good, I think I grasp this game )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now about the stickers....for real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rüdiger Dorn
Germany
Nürnberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
hello jonathan,

rules about exploartion cards

if you do the action "exploration" you must do the whole action at once.
so it is not possible to discard, draw, play an exploration card and draw the rest of the cards.

an example:
if you have 4 cards in your hand and your development says 3/5.
you can draw only 1 card or
you discard 1 card and draw 2 cards or
you discard 2 cards and draw 3 cards.

ok?

best rüdiger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmiller1020 wrote:

2) When colonizing, you first look at your Colonist track. Let's say you have 4 on that track. Then flip two cards (these range from 1-3 so going in you know the average card result will give you two each).

This is not exactly ture as there are not an even number of 1's 2's and 3's

As there are 7 1's, 13 2's and 10 3's The expected value of drawing two cards for colonists is

X = 2[1(7/30) + 2(13/30) + 3(10/30)] = 4.2

Not much of a difference from what you stated, but it does indicate that you will get 5 colonists more often than you get 3 colonists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact the probabilities P(x) for drawing x colonists are

P(2) = (7/30)(6/29) = 4.8%
P(3) = (7/30)(13/29) + (13/30)(7/29) = 20.9%
P(4) = (7/30)(10/29) + (13/30)(12/29) + (10/30)(7/29) = 34%
P(5) = (13/30)(10/29) + (10/30)(13/29) = 29.9%
P(6) = (10/30)(9/29) = 10.3%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmiller1020 wrote:
When colonizing, you first look at your Colonist track. Let's say you have 4 on that track. Then flip two cards (these range from 1-3 so going in you know the average card result will give you two each). Then you play from your own colonist cards(if needed) to reach the colonizing goal.

So if you were trying to colonize Madras (requires 10 colonists) and you had 4 from the track, and you drew a 1 from the deck and a 3 from the deck, you have now 8 total (those two cards come from the deck and go immediately to the discard pile). So you would now need to "spend" two more of your own colonists to get to 10 (4+1+3+2 = 10). If you can get to 10, you are successful on the colonizing effort.

I assume that spending your hand cards means they go back into the stack of colonists on the main board. You don't just show them and put them back into your hand, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
jmiller1020 wrote:
When colonizing, you first look at your Colonist track. Let's say you have 4 on that track. Then flip two cards (these range from 1-3 so going in you know the average card result will give you two each). Then you play from your own colonist cards(if needed) to reach the colonizing goal.

So if you were trying to colonize Madras (requires 10 colonists) and you had 4 from the track, and you drew a 1 from the deck and a 3 from the deck, you have now 8 total (those two cards come from the deck and go immediately to the discard pile). So you would now need to "spend" two more of your own colonists to get to 10 (4+1+3+2 = 10). If you can get to 10, you are successful on the colonizing effort.

I assume that spending your hand cards means they go back into the stack of colonists on the main board. You don't just show them and put them back into your hand, right?

That is correct. The colonists cards go back to the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.